Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
    I'm finding Simple Bible Pro to be a little laggy and sluggish. I also have a perception that my battery drains more quickly when I'm using it than not. I installed Battery Monitor (homebrew) to try to get some actual measurement.

One question I have about lagginess and perceived battery drain: In the preferences there is an option for Compressed Downloads, with the default Compressed. Would it improve performance if i changed that option to Uncompressed and download my translations again?
    Not likely. In fact we plan to remove the option for uncompressed here in the very near future.

I experience some lagginess on the Pre- and My TouchPad. It's a different type/cause on both.

It is smooth as silk on my Pre2 and I expect the same from the Pre3 when it comes out. What Device are you using?
  2.    #42  
    Loaded it up yesterday, and may I say, good job! I'm getting used to it, and I have a comment or two, but it's really nice.

First comment: The process to get a Bible I had purchased years ago from Laridan onto my Pre+ (1.4.5.1) was flawless. I even was impressed that I remembered my login and password! That was a God thing for sure! I have The Message paraphrase and the KJV now on board. I would like to buy the ESV, but did not see it in the paid & free list of modules. Is this coming soon, or did I miss something?

Comment 2: Thank you so much for autoscroll. Other than in the preferences, is there a control for the speed of autoscroll? On my previous Palm products there was a hard key control for this. Is there a quick key to speed up or slow down the autoscroll on the fly? If not, I recommend you think about adding this in the future. Another thought is you could tap the Autoscroll icon along the bottom and slide up to speed up, or slide down to slow down.

Once I started the app, downloaded a Bible module, and entered that module, I didn't see how I could get back to the bible module download page. I ended up exiting the app and starting it again. Perhaps an extra option when you tap the menu: Translations, you get all your on board translations listed, plus an option to download new.

Just a couple thoughts. Thank you again for this, I hope it does well so you are rewarded for your efforts. You sold me!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    What Device are you using?
    I'm using a franken-pre plus on Sprint.
    I'm using a franken-pre plus on Sprint.
    Hrm.... I'd have to talk to tom about that one. I do know it runs a bit slow on my Pre-. I figure that's just cause the processor is so slow. Are you at the stock 500 or 600mhz whatever it is or are you running govnah? At the stock speed I imagine even the extra ram of the Pre+ wouldn't help it process all the nodes any faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Loaded it up yesterday, and may I say, good job! I'm getting used to it, and I have a comment or two, but it's really nice.

First comment: The process to get a Bible I had purchased years ago from Laridan onto my Pre+ (1.4.5.1) was flawless. I even was impressed that I remembered my login and password! That was a God thing for sure! I have The Message paraphrase and the KJV now on board. I would like to buy the ESV, but did not see it in the paid & free list of modules. Is this coming soon, or did I miss something?

Comment 2: Thank you so much for autoscroll. Other than in the preferences, is there a control for the speed of autoscroll? On my previous Palm products there was a hard key control for this. Is there a quick key to speed up or slow down the autoscroll on the fly? If not, I recommend you think about adding this in the future. Another thought is you could tap the Autoscroll icon along the bottom and slide up to speed up, or slide down to slow down.

Once I started the app, downloaded a Bible module, and entered that module, I didn't see how I could get back to the bible module download page. I ended up exiting the app and starting it again. Perhaps an extra option when you tap the menu: Translations, you get all your on board translations listed, plus an option to download new.

Just a couple thoughts. Thank you again for this, I hope it does well so you are rewarded for your efforts. You sold me!
    1. Glad it went smooth. The download module only shows Bibles you have access to. To download more, you need to tap on "Shop for Bibles" on the app menu when you are on the Installed Translations list or the download list. Maybe we should add this as an option at the bottom of the downloads List. Thanks for the tip.

2. We do need a simpler way to change the autoscroll speed. I'm just not sure what to do. I like the tap and swipe idea.... Maybe we could put a slider on the screen when in autoscroll mode... I'll keep thinking about it.

3. Backswipe in the gesture area goes back to the list of installed Bibles. Unless your on a TP, then you just hit "Back" in the lower left of the screen. This is likely to change to what you suggested in the future because we want the actual bible to be the first thing that opens when you start the app.
    By the way, I've sent a couple messages to PC.net. We are trying to open up our own subforum so that we can discuss All things Bits of God in there. In the meantime, please, if you have time, go rate the app in the app catalog: http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...simplebiblepro
    Hrm.... I'd have to talk to tom about that one. I do know it runs a bit slow on my Pre-. I figure that's just cause the processor is so slow. Are you at the stock 500 or 600mhz whatever it is or are you running govnah? At the stock speed I imagine even the extra ram of the Pre+ wouldn't help it process all the nodes any faster.
    I'm using a screenstate governor, overclocking at 1Ghz.
  8.    #48  
    1. Glad it went smooth. The download module only shows Bibles you have access to. To download more, you need to tap on "Shop for Bibles" on the app menu when you are on the Installed Translations list or the download list. Maybe we should add this as an option at the bottom of the downloads List. Thanks for the tip.

2. We do need a simpler way to change the autoscroll speed. I'm just not sure what to do. I like the tap and swipe idea.... Maybe we could put a slider on the screen when in autoscroll mode... I'll keep thinking about it.

3. Backswipe in the gesture area goes back to the list of installed Bibles. Unless your on a TP, then you just hit "Back" in the lower left of the screen. This is likely to change to what you suggested in the future because we want the actual bible to be the first thing that opens when you start the app.
    1. Ahh, I see that now. Buy low, sell high...that's just an extra tip for ya...no need to thank me for that one!

2. I wonder if you can tap on the screen and slide down into the gesture area without accessing some other API or action? If so, that might work for an autoscroll accelerator. Or, you could slide side to side....or have a gas pedal and a brake button!

3. Of course, that makes sense. Works fine.

And I will MAKE time to go over and comment on your app...it's a keeper for sure!

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

I'm using a screenstate governor, overclocking at 1Ghz.
    You might try a battery pull. I have had a few users with major download problems on a Pre- that were fixed by pulling the battery. Perhaps that could clear up some of the "Lag."

I just tested it on my Pre- with Govnah set to 500/1000 screenstate. I could see some of the stuff being drawn into the scene. I've never noticed this on my Pre2.

At the same time, I'll have to be honest, the book scene has over 2k lines of code. It loops through every node in a chapter many times over for various different reasons. That's a lot of processing for such a small device. So the fact that it performs as well as it does always amazes me. Of course that's cause I come from the days when a 500 line program written in pascal was dog slow cause it was running on a 200Mhz Processor. LOL.
    You might try a battery pull. I have had a few users with major download problems on a Pre- that were fixed by pulling the battery. Perhaps that could clear up some of the "Lag."

I just tested it on my Pre- with Govnah set to 500/1000 screenstate. I could see some of the stuff being drawn into the scene. I've never noticed this on my Pre2.

At the same time, I'll have to be honest, the book scene has over 2k lines of code. It loops through every node in a chapter many times over for various different reasons. That's a lot of processing for such a small device. So the fact that it performs as well as it does always amazes me. Of course that's cause I come from the days when a 500 line program written in pascal was dog slow cause it was running on a 200Mhz Processor. LOL.
    I pull the battery every time I change it. I cycle through three batteries. I use a portable charger*, so I always have one fully charged, one draining in the device, and one in the charger.

Before long, I'll get my hands on a Pre2 and an old Pre minus, and make it a franken-Pre2 on Sprint, like I did with the Pre Plus.

* I use the 92-Hour Rechargeable Battery from Brookstone. It's a Polymer Li-Ion 3000mAh battery that re-charges spare batteries on the go.
    At the risk of looking like spam, I bring you the following public service announcement:

Laridian is having a sale of NIV 2008. It's only $14.99. That means for just under $20.00 (NIV 14.99 + Simple Bible Pro $4.99) you can have the complete NIV on your phone or touchpad for offline use. Just use Priority Code NIVLC84 when you purchase the NIV from Laridian.

Here is the full text that I got in my email:

Dear Jev,

For over 25 years, the New International Version (NIV) has served as a standard for clear and accurate Biblical translation. Since 1984, the NIV has provided layman and clergy alike with a translation that held to the form and structure of the original languages while at the same time making the meaning of Scripture clear in modern English.

THE UPDATE IS COMING!

In 2011, the publishers of the NIV released a new, updated version, and very soon the 2011 update to the NIV will be available to you for PocketBible. While this is exciting news, it also means that the current version of the NIV for PocketBible will no longer be available for purchase (it will, however, be available for download to those customers who already own it.) So if you'd like to have the 1984 edition of the NIV in your permanent PocketBible library, this is your last chance to get it!

SAVE $10 NOW ON THE NIV 1984 EDITION

Regularly $24.99, the 1984 edition of the NIV is now only $14.99 - that's a 40% savings! Use Priority Code NIVLC84 on the Order Form to get your discount. This offer ends August 31, 2011.
    So, if you haven't taken the plunge into Simple Bible Pro yet, because you thought the NIV was too expensive at $24.99, now is the time to take the plunge.

You can get Simple Bible Pro from the app catalog @ http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...simplebiblepro

And you can purchase the NIV online from Laridian @ Laridian - New International Version (NIV)

Remember Laridian has a buy it once, use it forever policy. So when you buy this NIV for $14.99 you may use it on any of the following: webOS, iOS, Android, Windows PC, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile
    and Palm OS.
    use it on any of the following: webOS, iOS, Android, Windows PC, BlackBerry, Windows Mobile
    and Palm OS.
    I've tried Laridian's Pocket Bible on iOS and it is abysmal. It doesn't scroll by swiping up or down, the user-interface is very counter-intuitive, and downright user-hostile. If the other platforms are like iOS, I wouldn't bother.

Laridian did a great job on Palm OS. I still use it under Class (although a lot less now that I have Simple Bible Pro), but in my opinion, completely failed on iOS.
    I have a user-type question. If you do a search, and get a list of results, then select one of the items from the list, is there a way to return to the list without doing the search again? Also, can you advance from one result to another?

Maybe I'm just missing something, 'cause I haven't played with it enough.
    I have a user-type question. If you do a search, and get a list of results, then select one of the items from the list, is there a way to return to the list without doing the search again? Also, can you advance from one result to another?

Maybe I'm just missing something, 'cause I haven't played with it enough.
    Not yet, it's coming. In fact I'm packing up a new release today so it won't be in the next release you see. I have a couple different ways to do this in my head and will likely add one of them to the next release.
    It's kind of annoying that whenever you launch it presents a list of loaded translations and you have to pick one to get to the text where you were before. I'd like to have the option of having it just display the text where I was before.
    Last edited by RJKinsman; 08/13/2011 at 03:43 PM.
    I have a couple more suggestions/requests for the search scene.

Make more options for "Search in" Here are some ideas, stolen from "My Bible" on PalmOS:
    -- Pentateuch
    -- History Books
    -- Psalms
    -- Prophets
    -- Gospels
    -- Non-Gospels
    -- Paul's Epistles
    -- Other Epistles

"MyBible" also groups them by old/new testament.

And another suggestion -- allow the user to create their own groups of books for search.

Also, on the search screen, the return key on the keyboard should activate the "Search" button.

I bet you're glad I wasn't in the beta, you'd have never gotten it out!
    I bet you're glad I wasn't in the beta, you'd have never gotten it out!
    I love feedback. It helps make the app better. I'd always take a Beta tester like you. Thanks for the input.
  18.    #58  
    Since I started this thread, does that mean I can resurrect it? The reason is, I needed to ask a question about some problems I've been having with a Bible app, and I couldn't find a thread on it to use.

First of all, this thread kind of became a place to discuss the Simple Bible Pro app as it was coming into our lives last year. I want to say that I have it and am really using it a lot. I do like the app, but so far I haven't purchased new translations so I have been using YouVersion (a homebrew app called 'Bible') when I need to pull up some other Bible. For the last couple of weeks, I haven't been able to use the app. It pops up, but the taps on the home screen to enter the Bible portion of YouView have no effect. About a week earlier, I could tap and the Bible module would start to come up, I would get the moving circle and after a while the message "Still Connecting" shows up. Does anyone use this app and are you having problems connecting to YouVersion?

19.    #59  
    I'm sorry, but can I bump this? I posted on a Sunday when attendance is typically light. As Ferris Bueller says, "Posting moves pretty fast on webOS Nation. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

[slight liberty with Ferris quote... ]

Anyway, take a look at my post right before this one. Has anyone else been having trouble with YouVersion Bible app? I tried to post in the Homebrew section of the forums, but apparently I don't have 'rights' to start a thread in that section.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123