Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Here is the latest on Bits Of God's website:

Bits Of God Software News

Sounds like Simple Bible will become Simple Bible Pro, but probably after we see what new devices are coming out.
    Look for another announcement from both Bits of God Software and Laridian regarding Simple Bible Pro in the next day or two. Keep an eye out here.

Quote Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
    I use a couple-o-different ones. Simple Bible is good. Autoscroll would be nice though.
    We like the idea too. I really wanted to put it in Simple Bible, but we decided to wait for Pro. While it's not at the top of the list, it will happen. It's not like it's even hard, it's just not a high priority. We even have a couple different ways to implement it.

Quote Originally Posted by scheumanrj View Post
    I have also been looking for a good onboard version of the Bible. My preferance is the New International Version (NIV) with Life application notes. I don't mind paying for it if I could get it in an onboard copy where I could save my notes and highlighting.
    Simple Bible Pro will offer all you want and more soon as it is released.

Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
    I'm not so keen on Laridian. Their iOS Pocketbible has a really crappy user interface. I have it on my iTouch, but I never use it.
    I'm with you 100% on this. My primary versions are NIV and The Message.

I continue to use MyBible under Classic, along with Acrobible and OliveTree on my iTouch. I did get Pocketbible on my iTouch, too, but the user interface is awful. If that's the kind of UI that Laridan would put out for webOS, I wouldn't want it.
    Laridian will be providing the content, but we control the interface. It is a similar to Simple Bible as we can get while changing some things to make way for all the new features.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I agree that we need Laridian to support webOS. They were the best, and I bought a lot of their stuff. They do iOS/Blackberry/etc, so we should start hitting them up for webOS.
    Well, I'll be all over Simple Bible Pro as soon as it becomes available. Over the years I've spent a good chunk of change with Laridian, so it will be nice to leverage this on webOS. In the mean time, 'looks like I'll stay with good old MyBible under Classic.
    It's coming guys, hang in there.
    Hey frankos72, I just noticed the March 30 post on Bits of God Software website. I'm very very excited about this, waiting anxiously. I have invested a significant amount in content from Laridian over the years, and I think it's terrific that they allow their content to be ported to other platforms beyond that where it was originally purchased. Go, go, go!!!!

I do have one question, not a biggie, but I'm just so excited about this, I can't wait to get it....

Will Simple Bible Pro allow for word-level highlighting, or will it be only at the verse level?

p.s. are you planning to charge for Simple Bible Pro? I hope you do, I'll be glad to pay a reasonable amount to reward you for your efforts.
  3.    #23  
    Exciting for sure! Anything new in the last 3 weeks? Of course you know, once you tell us something is coming soon, we start to drool here at precentral!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Same here. I'm eagerly waiting for the Pro release.
  5.    #25  
    Frankos72,

Thanks for the March 30 post on the website, was just wondering how things were going...beta testing started? Nearing completion? Sorry, we're a bit anxious. Usually I can access a web-based Bible translation or paraphrase such as the ESV and the Message, respectively, but I really want to have it on board. I spent 2.5 months in Diego Garcia last year and had to use (gasp!) my old dead tree version! I had forgotten how to turn pages!

Take care, and keep us informed.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Will Simple Bible Pro allow for word-level highlighting, or will it be only at the verse level?
    Verse only. Originally because that's how Laridian does it. But after getting into the process I can see how the decision is pretty simple.

Word level doesn't easily allow for highlights to cross from one translation to another. As you may be aware, not only are the same words not always used, but the structure of the verse can be totally different from one translation to the next. So if we want to allow the highlighting to cross from one translation to the next, then verse level is the logical choice.

p.s. are you planning to charge for Simple Bible Pro? I hope you do, I'll be glad to pay a reasonable amount to reward you for your efforts.
    Yes, we will be charging. No we haven't announced a price yet. Thanks for your generosity. We both need some kind of fruits to show for our labors. It will help to justify the continued efforts that we will be putting in as we begin our port to ENYO after SBPro is released.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    Verse only. Originally because that's how Laridian does it. But after getting into the process I can see how the decision is pretty simple.

Word level doesn't easily allow for highlights to cross from one translation to another. As you may be aware, not only are the same words not always used, but the structure of the verse can be totally different from one translation to the next. So if we want to allow the highlighting to cross from one translation to the next, then verse level is the logical choice.
    Thanks. Yes, that makes sense, and I certainly understand how it would introduce a level of complexity into the application. Actually, Laridian did originally enable word-level, even character-level highlighting. At some point they must have decided to simplify when they went to other platforms after PalmOS. But if you look at MyBible on PalmOS, you'll see each version has a separate highlights file, which I think is how you'd have to do it to enable that kind of functionality.

So, on MyBible, as a user, I understand that if I make a highlight in, for example, NIV, it will not be highlighted in NLT. That's OK with me, in fact, usually preferable.

As a user, one of the things I like about word-level highlighting is, you could highlight a given passage in one color, then go back and highlight certain words in that passage in another color. Really allows certain things to jump out. This plays directly into how different versions are worded.

The other thing I like about word-level highlighting is you can bring out certain parts of a verse. That's not an issue for short verses like John 11:35, "Jesus Wept." But if you look in Isaiah, those are some long verses.
    Thanks. Yes, that makes sense, and I certainly understand how it would introduce a level of complexity into the application.....
    It would be great if you could allow both. Full verse highlighting would cross translations but anything less would be specific to the translation that you were in.
    Just thought of another question. Will Simple Bible Pro run on webOS 1.4.5? Actually, for me, I'm looking into meta doctoring my Sprint frankenpre plus to 2.0, but I'm taking my time. If this came out and it only ran on 2.0, that would ccertainly step up the pressure on me to get to 2.0.
    Quote Originally Posted by scheumanrj View Post
    It would be great if you could allow both. Full verse highlighting would cross translations but anything less would be specific to the translation that you were in.
    We have full verse quotes working across translations now. We have considered the partial verse highlighting. There is quite a bit to it thought. We will be syncing user data with Laridian, so when we sync, do we ignore anything less than a whole verse? Or do we upgrade any partial verse highlights to a whole verse. Then of course when they sync back to us, we would only be getting whole verse syncs from them. Anyway, we like the idea of partial verse highlighting, but for now we are sticking to whole verses to get the App out.

Just thought of another question. Will Simple Bible Pro run on webOS 1.4.5? Actually, for me, I'm looking into meta doctoring my Sprint frankenpre plus to 2.0, but I'm taking my time. If this came out and it only ran on 2.0, that would ccertainly step up the pressure on me to get to 2.0.
    Yes, it does. Something interesting too, even thought the databases are quite large (40mb / Bible) it seems to run about the same on my old Pre- as it does on my Pre 2. I've also have it on my wife's Veer and it works well and looks great on that phone too. Must I say, that phone is cool. Everytime I spend a few minutes with it, I start contemplating switching phones with her.

I've posted a major update on our progress on our website. Check it out for all the latest info.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    so, am I correct in understanding that there is no webOS source for an offline NIV or Message?
    Quote Originally Posted by mapenn View Post
    so, am I correct in understanding that there is no webOS source for an offline NIV or Message?
    Well, yes and no. At the time of your question (End of June 2011) the definitive answer was NO. However at the time of my answer here, the answer it's coming. Simple Bible Pro Beta is doing nicely. When we are done our app will include the ability to download both NIV and The Message from Laridian for use OFFLINE on your webOS based device.
    kingskid likes this.
    We have full verse quotes working across translations now. We have considered the partial verse highlighting. There is quite a bit to it thought. We will be syncing user data with Laridian, so when we sync, do we ignore anything less than a whole verse? Or do we upgrade any partial verse highlights to a whole verse. Then of course when they sync back to us, we would only be getting whole verse syncs from them. Anyway, we like the idea of partial verse highlighting, but for now we are sticking to whole verses to get the App out.
    Go frankos72! Every time I see a post from you, I get very excited. Sadly, "soon" seems to be getting getting longer and longer. Oh well, I'm ready and waiting.

Regarding highlighting, how about a compromise? Maintain a version-agnostic highlight file that fully syncs, but also maintain a set of version-specific highlight files that do not sync at all. If the user selects the verse, say, by tapping on the verse number, highlight the verse and sync it. If the user selects words, highlight them, but don't sync them. Maybe this could be controlled by preferences.

I understand this would be a version 2.0-type-of-thing, but just something to consider putting on the old drawing board.

For me, frankly, I really disdain the Laridian implementation on IOS, so I personally have no interest in using it on that platform, so syncing highlights between platforms has no value for me. I haven't tried it on my wife's android phone.
    Simple Bible Free and Pro are very nice apps. Not sure if they are right for everyone, but I've been using Simple Bible Free for almost two years and very pleased with the results. The Pro versions as referenced on their website allows access to paid versions (NIV, The Message, etc) if you prefer these versions and they've already referenced updating their Mojo apps to full Enyo TouchPad capabilities.

Either way, has anyone tried the latest Simple Bible Pro and purchased other pay version of bibles (NIV, The Message, etc)? Would love some input from someone with experience on the TouchPad, Pre or otherwise. Thanks, Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Simple Bible Free and Pro are very nice apps. Not sure if they are right for everyone, but I've been using Simple Bible Free for almost two years and very pleased with the results. The Pro versions as referenced on their website allows access to paid versions (NIV, The Message, etc) if you prefer these versions and they've already referenced updating their Mojo apps to full Enyo TouchPad capabilities.

Either way, has anyone tried the latest Simple Bible Pro and purchased other pay version of bibles (NIV, The Message, etc)? Would love some input from someone with experience on the TouchPad, Pre or otherwise. Thanks, Sorli...
    Sorry, we are still in Beta and all of our Testers have signed a NDA regarding the Beta. If you want my input though, I can tell you that other than the very long initial Bible downloads, Simple Bible Pro is awesome! It's by far the best offline Bible app available for webOS to this point. I believe it is comparable to YouVersion other than the fact that we don't have their community and study plans and our Bibles do cost money since they are available offline.

Oh, one other issue I'm noticing. As you may have noticed with Simple Bible, we have upgraded Pro to operate full screen on the TouchPad. It seems, however that the touchpad doesn't handle the animations nearly as well as any of the current Palm/HP phones and so it seems kinda choppy when moving from one scene to the next. There isn't much we can do about that other than moving on to Simple Bible 2.0 and Simple Bible Pro 2.0.

Go frankos72! Every time I see a post from you, I get very excited. Sadly, "soon" seems to be getting getting longer and longer. Oh well, I'm ready and waiting.

Regarding highlighting, how about a compromise? Maintain a version-agnostic highlight file that fully syncs, but also maintain a set of version-specific highlight files that do not sync at all. If the user selects the verse, say, by tapping on the verse number, highlight the verse and sync it. If the user selects words, highlight them, but don't sync them. Maybe this could be controlled by preferences.

I understand this would be a version 2.0-type-of-thing, but just something to consider putting on the old drawing board.
    Sorry about soon. Our contract with Laridian prohibits us from discussing release dates, but since we have already been allowed to publicly announce "Soon" then that's the best I can do without talking to Craig first.

As for highlighting, we have kicked around the idea of doing character level highlighting. Our conclusion was that if you then synced with Laridian and back to the device (or any other for that matter) that the whole verse would be highlighted instead of just a word or two. As you had mentioned, this is likely a 2.0 feature since we are wrapping up with 1.0 now.
    Simple Bible Pro is now available for download from the app catalog:
    http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...simplebiblepro
    RJKinsman and Rockbeast like this.
    Simple Bible Pro is now available for download from the app catalog:
    http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...simplebiblepro
    Whoo hoo! Installed on my Pre (franken Pre Plus running on Sprint), logged on to my Laridian account, and currently downloading my first translation.

Let me say, my initial impression is that this is a very smooth, user-friendly, well-done app. I expect to post my glowing review soon.
    If I purchase the app on my touchpad will it be available on my Pre too or do I have to purchase it for both?
    If you use the same profile for both, then you have access to the same purchased apps on both.
    I'm finding Simple Bible Pro to be a little laggy and sluggish. I also have a perception that my battery drains more quickly when I'm using it than not. I installed Battery Monitor (homebrew) to try to get some actual measurement.

One question I have about lagginess and perceived battery drain: In the preferences there is an option for Compressed Downloads, with the default Compressed. Would it improve performance if i changed that option to Uncompressed and download my translations again?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast