Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Dashboard Utilities | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community

This just came out Monday, 1/17/11. I am going to lavish praise on this app so let me state upfront I have no connection to it in any way.

This app has:

Count-up timer
    Count-down timer
    Counter
    Checklist
    Random Number Generator
    Time Tracker

What makes it great is that it places them all, one at a time or as many as you want, in the dashboard. You can control them from the dashboard. If you set up items for your Time Tracker or Checklist you can change back and forth between them in the dashboard. If you have a use for this stuff, it is a flippin' fantastic app.

You can set up multiple items in your time Tracker and Checklist. Countdown can be set for a length or to a specific time/date. The Counter can have two at a time side by side. If you close the card everything is still there in the dashboard. If you slide the dashboard interfaces away everything is still saved when you open the app up again. There are reset buttons to go back to a blank slate.

The only downside I see (IMO) is that if you have the time tracker going (not sure about the count-up/down, didn't try it) and close the card and close the dashboard the time tracker seems to continue going. Personally if I close everything I would like it to stop, though I can see someone wanting a countdown to continue so maybe it could be an option.

This thing, because of my possible uses for it, has already jumped up to one of my top apps. I haven't been this excited about a new app for a while. Honestly this will be a nearly every day use for most of the year for me, just as neato! and Notes are.
    Apps:

Turn the Dial Radio Directory (Phones)
    8-bit Miner (TouchPad)
    Turn the Dial Digital Edition (TouchPad)
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    MachiApps has already updated this app twice since it was released on Monday, both updates with user requested features. Looks like he will keep doing that where possible as well. Excellent support for the app, hope to see people support this kind of developer in return.
    Apps:

8-bit Miner (TouchPad)
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    I just wish the dashboard notifications looked more like webOS dashboard notifications.

...of course, this is my complaint with many of the apps that rely on the dashboard - some do it very well - like: Tweed, Weather Dashboard, Sports Live!, MoreStocks, NewsRoom, YouView, PowerNap, to name a few, but many look completely out of place.

Great app - I did buy it, ... I just hope the UI improves.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    I just wish the dashboard notifications looked more like webOS dashboard notifications.

...of course, this is my complaint with many of the apps that rely on the dashboard - some do it very well - like: Tweed, Weather Dashboard, Sports Live!, MoreStocks, NewsRoom, YouView, PowerNap, to name a few, but many look completely out of place.

Great app - I did buy it, ... I just hope the UI improves.
    In the latest update it says he/they will be adding "themes" so if you have told him exactly how you would like it to look let him know, my guess is you have a chance of getting what you want at this point.
    Apps:

8-bit Miner (TouchPad)
    Looks like music player remix has some competition in the ugly dashboard olympics
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    Looks like music player remix has some competition in the ugly dashboard olympics
    I'm guessing you didn't vote for my app in the "Best use of webOS notifications" category in the PreCentral Best of 2010 Awards. But luckily some other people did because my app won in that category!

And I'm proud of that because the mini-player mode I created is a unique way of using webOS notifications and really shows off what webOS can do. No other mobile OS has the ability to launch an interactive mini-view of an app while using another app. I'm really glad this developer is doing this and I hope more devs start using this capability in the future.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    DanPLC - I agree that utility-wise, your dashboard notifications do a fine job. They just do a fine job in a way that isn't very attractive and doesn't flow with the general feel of webOS. Glad you're proud, though. Anyhow, this Dashboard Utilities app would be great with a UI cleanup.
    DanPLC - I agree that utility-wise, your dashboard notifications do a fine job. They just do a fine job in a way that isn't very attractive and doesn't flow with the general feel of webOS. Glad you're proud, though. Anyhow, this Dashboard Utilities app would be great with a UI cleanup.
    There are other ways of expressing your disliking of an app's visual design without making snide remarks. Refer to ToddK's post in this thread for an example.

Regardless of whether or not this app is pretty or not, you failed to see (or decided not to discuss) the very unique way this app is making use of the notification area. It takes the concept of "widgets" that are used in Android and makes them available with one touch while using other apps. Combined with webOS's multitasking, no other mobile OS can deliver this type of solution.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Regardless of whether or not this app is pretty or not, you failed to see (or decided not to discuss) the very unique way this app is making use of the notification area. It takes the concept of "widgets" that are used in Android and makes them available with one touch while using other apps. Combined with webOS's multitasking, no other mobile OS can deliver this type of solution.
    No, I agree. That's what I meant when I said "utility-wise, your dashboard notifications do a fine job." I thought that was pretty clear. Pat on the back to you.

Just saying your notifications do a fine job in a way that isn't very attractive and doesn't flow with the general feel of webOS. It's also unfortunate that by default they take up so much screen space. Makes it, by default, not very friendly to users who run numerous other programs with dashboard notifications that pop up throughout the day. Clean up your design, don't enable so many dashboard widgets by default, and you're golden.
    No, I agree. That's what I meant when I said "utility-wise, your dashboard notifications do a fine job." I thought that was pretty clear. Pat on the back to you.

Just saying your notifications do a fine job in a way that isn't very attractive and doesn't flow with the general feel of webOS. It's also unfortunate that by default they take up so much screen space. Makes it, by default, not very friendly to users who run numerous other programs with dashboard notifications that pop up throughout the day. Clean up your design, don't enable so many dashboard widgets by default, and you're golden.
    If you'd like to discuss details of my app, please do so in my app's thread. I'll be more than happy to discuss it there.

Your original comment in this thread was rude and that's why I responded. Perhaps in the future before making snide comments, you'll take a second and think about a more constructive way to express your opinions.

But anyway, I suggest we let this thread get back on topic.

Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    And back on topic it shall go. This app now has three themes to choose from, a "traditional" webOS colored theme of greys, then one grey one with red controls. Both are nice. Also added was another utility for time zones.
    Apps:

8-bit Miner (TouchPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
    And back on topic it shall go. This app now has three themes to choose from, a "traditional" webOS colored theme of greys, then one grey one with red controls. Both are nice. Also added was another utility for time zones.
    Excellent solution (and quickly implemented!) to make it blend in for those who prefer it. Well done.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    My frustration w/HP best characterized by Col George Taylor.
    I love it,

~two questions / suggestions ...
    1) what is the random # generator used for? / can we edit (add subtract what appears on dashboard ap?)
    2) I love having a super fast, easy to update (fast) todo list, but when I add items to the list I seem to have the choice of:
    a) hitting GO and a 2nd list goes to launcher (and then I must delete 1st list from launcher) or
    b) adding an item to existing list and not hitting GO - but then list in launcher does not update

Seems like a glitch? Isn't the idea to be able to throughout the day quicky add, delete and toggle through the list in the dash?
    (PS this IS the killer feature of the ap IMO)

Thanks