1.    #1  
    One of the apps that I am most looking forward to is skype. It is one of the programs that I use all the time for work. I know that 2.0 has support for skype, but I did not see any demo of the skype chat client. It seems that everyone was hung up on the voip side of skype as opposed to the chat.

I hope that they handle the skype chat the same way they handled google chat. That would be so nice! If chat is missing, I'm going to be extremely disappointed.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    I believe it will. I also have a Verizon BB with Skype and it handles the IM component well. I'm sure it would only be better on WebOS.

Now -- how long do you think it wil be until it is ported to non-verizon WebOS devices unofficially?
    Last edited by cmahy; 01/16/2011 at 05:27 PM.
    The other thing to remember is that I read is that calls within the US will still go over VZW network and be charged as minutes of use. And it's only on VZW because they announced some sort of exclusive with Skype. I hate exclusives.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    The other thing to remember is that I read is that calls within the US will still go over VZW network and be charged as minutes of use.
    Everything that I have read says that there are no airtime charges for using Skype on a VZW phone, including this:

Skype Mobile Phone | Skype Cell Phone | Skype Calling

From what I can determine from tinkering with the Android version, Verizon is running one or more Skype-to-cellular-voice gateways. When you make or receive a Skype call, it takes place as a regular voice call...that they don't charge airtime for. The VoIP encoding takes place at the gateway on the other end of the call.

Since the microphone API is not being used, there is no *technical* reason why Skype can't be on a VZW Pre+ today other than that Skype is a closed-source program.....
    What I am more curious about is what other companies not named Verizon will do for video chat. Will Skype license Qik out to other carriers?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Everything that I have read says that there are no airtime charges for using Skype on a VZW phone, including this:

Skype Mobile Phone | Skype Cell Phone | Skype Calling

From what I can determine from tinkering with the Android version, Verizon is running one or more Skype-to-cellular-voice gateways. When you make or receive a Skype call, it takes place as a regular voice call...that they don't charge airtime for. The VoIP encoding takes place at the gateway on the other end of the call.

Since the microphone API is not being used, there is no *technical* reason why Skype can't be on a VZW Pre+ today other than that Skype is a closed-source program.....
    I believe you may be right, but this is a new development that will start next month and apparently a response to changes at AT&T:

Verizon to allow unlimited Skype calling over 3G starting next month -- Engadget
  7.    #7  
    Is the closed source code also the reason for no 3rd party chat clients?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    What I am more curious about is what other companies not named Verizon will do for video chat. Will Skype license Qik out to other carriers?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Well Sprint already uses Qik on the Evo. Of course, that deal was made before Skype acquired Qik, so it really depends on what Verizon's exclusive deal says. If it says that all VOIP/video chat services offered by Skype and their subsidiaries are exclusive to VZW, then Qik is also VZW exclusive.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    what a mess this is for those of us still on sprint. i want to skype on sprint. can i? no. thankfully there's google voice but thats not voip and DOES charge me minutes. Booo.

too bad vox isnt voip either
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I believe you may be right, but this is a new development that will start next month and apparently a response to changes at AT&T:

Verizon to allow unlimited Skype calling over 3G starting next month -- Engadget
    Did you miss the date on this article being from February of last year? What I described is exactly how they did it, without taxing their 3G data network with VoIP streams.....