1.    #1  
    Is there a WebOS app that will automatically toggle WiFi on/off based on how far away you are from your home? The app will allow you to set your current location as your home and allow you to set how far away to turn on WiFi; say 2000m.
    Yes, mode switcher
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  4.    #4  
    Is there a way of doing what I want without using Preware? I don't like to hack/root my devices.
    There is no stock way for doing it, no.

However, installing Preware doesn't hack or root anything. You do have to turn on developer mode to install it - which can then be turned off afterwards - but you do *NOT* have to hack or root the phone. Additionally, the phone is not hacked or rooted after Preware is installed. You can *use* Preware to root or hack your phone via some of the installable software it makes available, but Preware itself doesn't root your phone or require it.

Additionally, if you've turned off developer mode and delete Preware like any other app, there's no trace of it.
    Last edited by ALuckyGuy; 01/13/2011 at 09:12 AM.
    wtgreen speaks the truth. Preware is simply amazing and all but Palm/HP approved. If you love your phone now then you will want to marry it after you get Preware on there.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Oh, and just for the record... if you use Mode Switcher to track your GPS position and toggle WiFi, it's actually pretty hard on your battery, or at least it was when I tried it. I'm guessing it's to save power that you're interested in toggling WiFi off, but unfortunately constantly checking your GPS coords is more draining.

However, you really should check out Preware. It opens up a whole new world of cool software and utilities, and provides a simple and reliable way to enhance features and apps on your phone without needing the technical expertise of a hacker. Every time my 15 yr old daughter gets a new Pre (she drops and breaks hers about every 6 months), the first thing she asks me to do is install Preware.
    Yeah, I'll second the comment on battery usage. GPS draws way more power than WiFi, especially if the WiFi isn't actually connected to an AP.

Mode Switcher is a great way to save battery power, though. There's several guides for optimizing battery life with Mode Switcher, but my quick suggestions:
    Disable GPS by default - set up a mode to turn it on when a GPS-requiring app is launched
    Disable 3G when connected via WiFi, as 3G draws more power
    Create a low-power mode with minimal brightness, no WiFi, 3G, GPS, or Bluetooth that kicks in when the battery get below a certain percentage.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post
    There is no stock way for doing it, no.

However, installing Preware doesn't hack or root anything. You do have to turn on developer mode to install it - which can then be turned off afterwards - but you do *NOT* have to hack or root the phone. Additionally, the phone is not hacked or rooted after Preware is installed. You can *use* Preware to root or hack your phone via some of the installable software it makes available, but Preware itself doesn't root your phone or require it.

Additionally, if you've turned off developer mode and delete Preware like any other app, there's no trace of it.
    So, I can load Preware, turn off developer mode and still load and run Preware/Homebrew apps? Will Preware work on the WebOS tablet?
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    So, I can load Preware, turn off developer mode and still load and run Preware/Homebrew apps? Will Preware work on the WebOS tablet?
    Once you get Preware on your phone, you dont really have to hook it up to a computer again. You can load and remove patches and apps right from preware. If you are afraid of messing up your phone, dont be. Most patches and other homebrew stuff has gone through a lot of testing before actually being released to the public. And if by chance your phone messes up, the webOS doctor (provided by Palm) will set your phone back to factory settings. Its really pretty hard to mess up your phone that bad though.

As far as a webOS tablet, no one can tell you until it actually comes out. But my GUESS is yes.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post
    Oh, and just for the record... if you use Mode Switcher to track your GPS position and toggle WiFi, it's actually pretty hard on your battery, or at least it was when I tried it. I'm guessing it's to save power that you're interested in toggling WiFi off, but unfortunately constantly checking your GPS coords is more draining.
    I'm interested in toggling WiFi to save on 3g/4g usage. Is there another way to check your location without using GPS?
    Not that I'm aware of, but perhaps you can find another substitute that would work just as well - Mode Switcher can trigger off lots of things including time of day.

If you work a consistent schedule during the week and you want WiFi turned off when you're not home, you could have WiFi turn off automatically when you leave for work and turn back on when you leave the office. Or if your work PC has bluetooth, you I think you could have Pre disable WiFi when it recognizes the PC is in range. Check out the Mode Switcher link posted above to see all the different triggers it has - maybe you can figure out something besides GPS that will work for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by slbailey1 View Post
    So, I can load Preware, turn off developer mode and still load and run Preware/Homebrew apps?
    Yep. Developer Mode only needs to be enabled so that WebOS Quick Install can install Preware. Once Preware is installed you can turn it off.
    I had the same problem. Instead of using the gps in Mode Switcher, i have my phone turn on WiFi when I put my phone on the touchstone (which I usually do as soon as I get home anyway) and after a minute of being on the touchstone, if I am NOT connected to my home WiFi network, it automatically shuts off the Wifi. Once you have mode switcher going on your phone, if you can't figure it out, you can PM me or post in the relevant forum, the people in there are very helpful.
    If your interested in Mode Switcher, you should check out the wiki page and manual for it. The link to the wiki and manual are in the OP of the thread the other posted above, otherwise you'll find it in my signature below.

Good luck.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie