Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1.    #1  
    I'm not sure whether this should go here, or in the Homebrew Apps forum, but since for some reason I'm having trouble starting a new thread in the Homebrew Apps forum, I'll put it here.

    We have a couple of apps now that stamp the weather on your wallpaper (here's one: Weatherman | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community) and I saw another today that prints a portion of your Twitter feed on your wallpaper. What about one that prints your next five calendar items on your wallpaper? I think it would be highly useful. Glanceable information! The great thing about this one is that, unlike the Twitter and Weather ones, it wouldn't need to necessarily be updated more than once a day unless you add something to your calendar in the middle of the day. So, it wouldn't use much battery life to work.

    Thoughts?
  2. #2  
    YOu don't have enough posts to post in that forum, yet.

    The application you linked to actually replaces your wallpaper, it doesn't add it to what you already have as wallpaper.

    Same for the twitter one, as far as I know.

    Palm has not let developers have access to adding anything on there or making changes to it, that would still allow you to use your own wallpaper.

    As to this patch, with 2.0 for the Pre being imminent, most developers are waiting until then, to work on anything new, since making stuff for the old versions would be a waste of time.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  3. #3  
    Making stuff for old versions isn't a waste of time, since it more than likely will work with webOS 2.0.

    I imagine an app like this could be made using the PDK. We already have apps in the app catalgo that allow you to browse wallpapers, save to device, and set those images as your wallpaper all from the app. These capabilities would be available to a PDK app as well. PDK would be needed for image processing to take a wallpaper and "write" calendar events to it. Then the modified wallpaper would be set as the current wallpaper.

    All that's needed is a developer to step up to the plate.
  4. #4  
    'Ultimate Wallpaper' can do this w an RSS calendar feed that updates each hour,

    - only thing is that it seems to feed in a random not fully formatted manner, I have been playing with it and can not figure out how to make it feed right - the author posted some brief instructions how to grab the rss feed from google calendar, which I did AND it works but seems to pull out of our order and w no date reference. Either I am not using the right feed or it is not quite working

    WOULD love tips from anyone to get this working right.

    Ap is awesome, love the stock quote posting in 'ticker' green for home screen/wallpaper - I'll post a pic here.
  5. #5  
    If you want a quick way to view your calendar events for the next few days, you can install sconix's "system menu initial framework" patch and the "system menu today menu" patch. This will give you a drop down menu in the center of the top bar that will show your events for the next three days. It can be accessed wherever you are on the phone.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    If you want a quick way to view your calendar events for the next few days, you can install sconix's "system menu initial framework" patch and the "system menu today menu" patch. This will give you a drop down menu in the center of the top bar that will show your events for the next three days. It can be accessed wherever you are on the phone.
    I've actually got that, but I want something I can just glance at and not have to swipe, tap, etc.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by funkmeisterbrau View Post
    'Ultimate Wallpaper' can do this w an RSS calendar feed that updates each hour,

    - only thing is that it seems to feed in a random not fully formatted manner, I have been playing with it and can not figure out how to make it feed right - the author posted some brief instructions how to grab the rss feed from google calendar, which I did AND it works but seems to pull out of our order and w no date reference. Either I am not using the right feed or it is not quite working

    WOULD love tips from anyone to get this working right.

    Ap is awesome, love the stock quote posting in 'ticker' green for home screen/wallpaper - I'll post a pic here.
    Interesting possible solution. I just tried it (had purchased that app previously, primarily for the weather) and had the same problem. Dates and times don't show up, and the calendar items are out of order. Darn ... I thought this was the solution!

    With the weather apps that print onto the wallpaper and now the Twitter one that does the same thing, I'm really surprised that no one has ever done a calendar app that pulls directly from the calendar on the phone itself. I would think it would be popular. I don't know a THING about it, but it seems that would be doable, no? Maybe it's not doable, and that's why I can't find it?
  8. #8  
    It must be doable, if we are able to get the feed there, updated each hour, but maybe some super webos dude needs to work some mojo to get it to format right.

    PS I agree, I have the drop down, and like it but the thing is I tend to just space out and ignore stuff that is not right in front of me. I'll turn an alarm off etc, and leaving the calendar up is ok but not a great solution - the green on black screen - is just perfect to have info staring at you - reminding ...
  9. #9  
    The Agenda program is not a bad stop-gap solution for this sort of thing.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    The Agenda program is not a bad stop-gap solution for this sort of thing.
    I've got that. I have a mode setup on Mode Switcher where Agenda is open when I wake up in the morning. Not as good, but it may have to suffice.
  11. #11  
    With the advent of new hardware I am contemplating coming back to webOS, but the fact some basic things like one's agenda on the home screen and doc editing still lacking, I just can't get excited again about webOS. On android, not only can I have my agenda on my home screen, but it can even scroll to show me months in advance. Or even a monthly view with the first 10 characters in the appt showing up within each day so you can get an idea of up to your first three appointments for the day. That one is thanks to Jorte. At this stage of the game workarounds and stop gaps for things that could easily be done in PalmOS and are done in other modern OS's is just unacceptable.

Posting Permissions