webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Koto Player
Koto Player
Like Tree2Likes

Old 01/11/2011, 08:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I've recently announced my next app, Koto Player. It's a music player for webOS.

For more info and screenshots see http://kotoplayer.com, and don't forget to check out precentral's preview here.

Be sure to follow @Koto_Player on twitter for the latest updates.

If you are here to suggest a feature, check out http://kotoplayer.uservoice.com.

This thread is for users to provide feedback, ask questions, get help, and respond to any user questions I may have. I will also post periodic screenshots in here. Thanks!

Countdown Puzzles | Koto Player | Spaz HD
Tibfib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2011, 01:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey!

I'm very much interested in this player. The thing I like the most so far is its very simple, webOS'd GUI. Do you have any video of the thing in action, or just the static screen shots?
  • How does it handle Resume play (re-opening player when it had been closed while playing a file)?
  • Can it sequentially repeat a genre / "natural playlist"?
    (By "natural play list" I mean, not made by be, but, built from using id3 tags: "Album", "Genre", "Artist", etc.)
  • I see a headphone icon in one of the shots. Do you have to manually swap between headphone and speaker, or does it know when I yank the headphone out of the Pre and auto-pause playing?

I could go on, but, without a video demonstrating its use/features, I'm not even sure what to ask.

M.
Xanadu73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2011, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I don't have any have any videos at the moment but I'll probably post some soon.

To answer your other questions:
The resume feature auto loads on app start if you have the option set to do so. I'll probably add a simple button to the main scene to load the songs when you don't have auto load turned on.

I'm not sure I quite understand your next question. The app has a repeat button that lets you select how you want to repeat any list of songs.

The headphone icon takes you to the now playing scene. I need a better icon.. Sorry! The app takes care of pausing music after you unplug your headphones.

Any other questions?

Old 01/13/2011, 04:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibfib View Post
I'm not sure I quite understand your next question. The app has a repeat button that lets you select how you want to repeat any list of songs.
I think that kinda answers it, but take this scenario:

1. 4 tracks in "Genre", say I play Track 2.
  2. Close the app with Track 2 still playing (paused, etc.).
  3. Open player back up and hit "Resume", will Koto resume Track 2 *and* know that the other three in "Genre" are its current playlist and only repeat through them?
Hmmm... what if I add a Track 5? Will Koto realize it and add it to the playlist "Genre" and auto-add that to the Now Playing "plylist"?

I don't know if that helps any...

I know these are *REALLY* specific kinda questions, but, I have my Pre play stuff at night when I'm trying to shut out the day. I (usually) listen to a radio show that has daily "installments", so a new track would be added to the Genre "Comedy" every week day.

Quote:
Any other questions?
Yes: Can you fly out to California and give HPalm a swift kick in the rump and get them to release webOS-2.* already?!?

M.
Old 01/13/2011, 04:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The app will do all the things in your list. It will also add a new song to the 'genre' list.. However, it will not add new songs to the now playing list if you are playing that genre. It is a list of songs, so it doesn't keep track that you added a specific genre, so it doesn't know to check for new songs. I could make it be dynamic if enough people want it.

Make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
*Yes: Can you fly out to California and give HPalm a swift kick in the rump and get them to release webOS-2.* already?!?
M.
Heh. I wish.
Old 01/13/2011, 05:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
The app will do all the things in your list. It will also add a new song to the 'genre' list.. However, it will not add new songs to the now playing list if you are playing that genre. It is a list of songs, so it doesn't keep track that you added a specific genre, so it doesn't know to check for new songs. I could make it be dynamic if enough people want it.

Make sense?

Makes absolute perfect sense. That last bit about Koto realizing a new file was added was just an after thought. I just start the "daily" from the beginning anyway which means I'd start Genre --> Daily --> Play (and hit repeat), so it's not an issue.

What's somewhat more surprising is you made sense out of mt post!

Thank you for the clarity and I look forward to trying out Koto when ever HPlam / Sprint decide to make webOS 2.* available!

M.
Old 01/13/2011, 05:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Makes absolute perfect sense. That last bit about Koto realizing a new file was added was just an after thought. I just start the "daily" from the beginning anyway which means I'd start Genre --> Daily --> Play (and hit repeat), so it's not an issue.

What's somewhat more surprising is you made sense out of mt post!

Thank you for the clarity and I look forward to trying out Koto when ever HPlam / Sprint decide to make webOS 2.* available!

M.
Great! Glad I could help. Yeah, hoping HP/Palm sends out 2.0 soon. I want to sell Koto!

Old 03/01/2011, 06:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I think there's a bug with rating files. It won't rate certain files. I think it's happening with m4a files.

fxspec06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/03/2011, 07:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
I think there's a bug with rating files. It won't rate certain files. I think it's happening with m4a files.
Please send me an email with as many details as you can (if the song shows up in Just Type and so on) and steps to replicate if possible. kotoplayer at gmail.com. Thanks!

Old 03/03/2011, 08:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Please send me an email with as many details as you can (if the song shows up in Just Type and so on) and steps to replicate if possible. kotoplayer at gmail.com. Thanks!
Will do! I'll do a thorough investigation tomorrow with plenty of details : )

fxspec06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2011, 04:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Hey!

Well, I have just updated to webOS 2.1 on my Pre- and bought this app and I have a few questions about it that if the function exists, I'm not seeing it.

I can tell it to resume on start (annoying that it starts playing right away, but not a huge deal), but it doesn't save the position in the track that it was in when I closed it. I listen to 3 to 4 hour long tracks on a daily basis and this app always starts the track out at the beginning again. Since there is no way to fine/drag scrub (I can tap, but, that's far from optimal), is there no way to save the position in the track?

M.
Old 03/05/2011, 04:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Hey!

Well, I have just updated to webOS 2.1 on my Pre- and bought this app and I have a few questions about it that if the function exists, I'm not seeing it.

I can tell it to resume on start (annoying that it starts playing right away, but not a huge deal), but it doesn't save the position in the track that it was in when I closed it. I listen to 3 to 4 hour long tracks on a daily basis and this app always starts the track out at the beginning again. Since there is no way to fine/drag scrub (I can tap, but, that's far from optimal), is there no way to save the position in the track?

M.
Hi Xanadu,

The app is designed to remember the track position. There may be some sort of bug with it remembering the location of an extremely large track. I'll look into it and let you know!

-Will

Old 03/05/2011, 04:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi Xanadu,

The app is designed to remember the track position. There may be some sort of bug with it remembering the location of an extremely large track. I'll look into it and let you know!

-Will

Groovy. Thanks man!

M.
Old 03/05/2011, 05:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Groovy. Thanks man!

M.
Do you have lumberjack installed? Do you think you could email me the logs? It could help in debugging. kotoplayer at gmail.com

Thanks!

Old 03/05/2011, 05:11 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Do you have lumberjack installed? Do you think you could email me the logs? It could help in debugging. kotoplayer at gmail.com

Thanks!

I'm trying to get all that stuff reinstalled. Preware is not being nice to me. I've reinstalled it for a third time now. I'm trying a couple other things to get it running. It installs *some* apps fine, but not others, and will not install any patches.

I'm aware that you have nothing to do with that, I'm just saying that I thought of that too and am trying to get there.

M.
Old 03/05/2011, 07:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:

Thanks!

sigh...

I think I'll have to take a look at the code because I think you've coded it to look for my specific Palm Profile login and tell it to make a liar out of me when it sees a mail from you in my Inbox...

I've opened and closed it a few times in a row and it does indeed save the position *IF* I have it set to resume playing at open (I wish it didn't have to PLAY at open as well - just go to the Now Playing screen and allow me to choose to play or not).

Noting to see here. Move along...

M.

P.S.
It *really* wasn't saving it earlier. I have no explanation why it's doing it now. Thanks, man!
Old 03/05/2011, 07:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
sigh...

I think I'll have to take a look at the code because I think you've coded it to look for my specific Palm Profile login and tell it to make a liar out of me when it sees a mail from you in my Inbox...

I've opened and closed it a few times in a row and it does indeed save the position *IF* I have it set to resume playing at open (I wish it didn't have to PLAY at open as well - just go to the Now Playing screen and allow me to choose to play or not).

Noting to see here. Move along...

M.

P.S.
It *really* wasn't saving it earlier. I have no explanation why it's doing it now. Thanks, man!
Haha. At least it is working properly now!

I will make it so the app just adds a list item to the main scene saying "Resume Now Playing" if you don't have auto-resume set to yes.

Thanked By: fxspec06
Old 03/05/2011, 07:58 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Haha. At least it is working properly now!

I will make it so the app just adds a list item to the main scene saying "Resume Now Playing" if you don't have auto-resume set to yes.

That would be fantastic if you could throw that in, man. Many thanks are directed towards you!

M.
Thanked By: fxspec06
Old 03/15/2011, 11:31 AM   #19 (permalink)

Hey there, I'm having some weird issues after the latest update this morning.. First off, I love the album art feature, thanks for adding that! However, some of my albums when I click on them, aren't showing any songs, just a plain blue screen. In fact, 1 album, I click on it and it is actually showing another different album inside of it rather than any songs. Also, I had a couple of albums that I'd tap the album art to apply it and it would say applied but then still not show anything. Wondering, do we need to do a full delete and re-install of this app with this latest update? Or are there just some bugs showing up? Thanks.

Update: I deleted and reinstalled and same problem. Also, I verified in stock music app and music remix that these albums show the songs fine that Koto player isn't showing..

Last edited by volcom45; 03/15/2011 at 12:20 PM.
Volcom45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/17/2011, 05:29 PM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
Hey there, I'm having some weird issues after the latest update this morning.. First off, I love the album art feature, thanks for adding that! However, some of my albums when I click on them, aren't showing any songs, just a plain blue screen. In fact, 1 album, I click on it and it is actually showing another different album inside of it rather than any songs. Also, I had a couple of albums that I'd tap the album art to apply it and it would say applied but then still not show anything. Wondering, do we need to do a full delete and re-install of this app with this latest update? Or are there just some bugs showing up? Thanks.

Update: I deleted and reinstalled and same problem. Also, I verified in stock music app and music remix that these albums show the songs fine that Koto player isn't showing..
I have replied via email

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0