Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Hi All,

Hope that this is the right forum (please move if not and apologies).

I want to download Navit to my Palm Pre Plus (thought I had bought a standard pre but it was a Plus....Yaaa!).

But I just cannot seem to get my head round how to do it, honestly I just seem to be going round and round in circles.

Is there a kind sould that can point me in the following direction:

1) What, exactly, do I need to download

2) What do I do once downloaded?

Im in the UK, on O2, using a Windows 7 Laptop (64 bit) if that helps

Kind regards

Alex
    Navit is in Preware. Make sure you have preware installed and then download Navit. You may need to add the testing feeds. After you have installed Navit, you will need t make your own maps. You can find directions on how to make your own map here Application:Navit - WebOS Internals . It should work fine with Windows 7
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Thats very kind, thanks

I have now done that and I have the Navit icon on the phone (on the launcher). But now I'm struggling as I hit the icon and then nothing....

Alex
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    You need a map file. Visit the Navit website, visit the wiki site. There are instructions for building a map.

can also go here

http://www.navit-project.org/
    Dan
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Hi Dan, this again is very (very) confusing, I downloaded a map (about 300MB), now what.....?
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    The map must be correctly named and stored in the correct directory. Read the wiki and there is a thread on here about it.

I currently don't have navit installed, so I can help with the basics but not the details. Yes, I have used it in the past.

One main issue is that the map must cover the area you are currently in and plan to go to, so making too small a map won't help. Anyway, load the map in the correct directory and start navit. Should start working - it did for me.
    Dan
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Thanks Dan,

I'm now completely stumped.....

Is there a navigation app that I can buy?

Alex
    You need to make a map first. The instructions are in the link posted above. After you make the map you need to add the .bin file that you saved into the appropriate folder. You will need to connect you Pre in USB mode and place the file in the folder. After you do all that, it should work just fine. It has worked for me.

One thing I have noticed is that making too large of a map sometimes takes a while. Try making a small map first and see if you can get it to work. If that works, then try making a bigger one.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Just trying that now thanks eserrano250
    Global Posts
    561 Global Posts
    We have to MAKE a map? I thought we just download a map file and stick it in a folder....
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    OK all,

Downloaded both files from preware, installed

Downloaded map, put .bin file in map directory (using palm as USB)

Navit wont run! icon just goes bright then nothing!

Ideas? Missed something?

Thanks

Alex
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    First. Make sure you have 1.4.5 minimum. Then ensure you have run navit at least once - sounds like you have.

From the Navit wiki page, select "Open Street Maps"

Then "Navit Planet Extractor"

Verify radio button is on "Navigate"

Navigate to your area.

Change radio button to "Select"

Highlight an area

Press "Get Map" and it will download

Store it on you USB partition : appdata\org.webosinternals.navit\maps

Rename as navitmap.bin

Eject your Pre

Ensure GPS is on

Start Navit

This works for me, I typed these instructions as I re-installed navit, created and downloaded the map, installed the map and started navit. I see me on my street.

Note that you can use a different filename from navitmap.bin only if you modify the xml file.

Make sure you read all of the wiki information.

Any help??
    Dan
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtonk View Post
    We have to MAKE a map? I thought we just download a map file and stick it in a folder....
    You can use a predefined map or make and download maps. Depends on how much storage you want to use.

For example, when I was in Bogota, I just downloaded the Bogota area map so as not to fill my pre with tons of rainforest
    Dan
    I installed Navit and maps twice - but both times I found the use of the tool to be so counterintuitive as to make it unuseable.

Has anyone got a simple tutorial out there? Maybe I'll give it another shot - searching for an address and setup of a route are the things that blew me away. The only way I could setup routes was to find the dang destination by graphically navigating to it and then marking it as my destination.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    All,

Nothing worked so deleted it, now sitting with a cobra beer watching Top Gear in HD (recorded last night..) Happy days!

Alex
    alex,

there is a bug if webos was upated via ota. There is a bugfix patch in preware that will correct the issue. If you don't fix it, when you press the navit icon, the iconwill flash and then nothing will happen.

the patch is called emergency fstab fixer

good luck
    I was thinking about trying Navit but did not want to commit to another $10.00 a month to Verizon to use the VZ Navigator GPS. It's a rip from Verizon to pay another $10 a month to use something that should be free in the first place.

I still use Google Maps but need to put my current address in manually to use directions.

Jon
    Palm III -> Palm IIIc -> Palm M505 -> Palm Tungsten T5 -> Palm Treo 600 -> Palm Treo 650 -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Plus (All running InfoSelect)