Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

We released our personal media streamer application for Pre/Pixi (it was previously under beta testing and was announced in this thread). The application has two components. A server that is installed to a Windows based PC and a client that is installed to a Pre/Pixi device. The server can stream media files stored on the PC as well as live content from any attached video cameras, TV cards. etc to the client. The application concept is similar to Orb but all the functionality is integrated into a single application on the client side.

There is a limited-time full-featured demo available at

KalemSoft - Products

A video showing the player in action:

Regards,

KalemSoft
    Last edited by KalemSoft; 01/17/2011 at 09:53 AM.
    I would be interested in this concept for sure! Never did really get orb to work right.
    I'll try it.
    i would def try this as well.
    I am definitely in!

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Any chance that this will work with a mac?.
    Is this streaming going to be over the air (3G) or only via WiFi?
    Quote Originally Posted by KalemSoft View Post
    A server that is installed to a Windows based PC and a client that is installed to a Pre/Pixi device. The server can stream the media files stored on the PC as well as live content from any attached video cameras, TV cards. etc to the client. The application concept is similar to Orb but all the functionality is integrated into a single application on the client side.
    So...

Ampache?

M.
    Much easier to set up and the app for webOS lets you stream music, video, tv, etc to your webOS phone, which no other app currently does.
    Quote Originally Posted by ad1982 View Post
    Much easier to set up and the app for webOS lets you stream music, video, tv, etc to your webOS phone, which no other app currently does.
    Well, there's nothing difficult about setting up Ampache. *Any* Server Service will take a good degree of understanding port forwarding, firewall rules, etc., for it to run from home (ISP's TOS almost never allow in-bound traffic on "standard service ports"). Ampache itself is a snap. I sure as hell am not putting all my stuff into the cloud, if this does not run from a machine controlled by ME at MY home.

As for streaming video and such, Ampache does that too, but yes, AmpachPre / Ampache Mobile do not support that. I can't honestly imagine someone sitting around trying to stream a feature length movie over their phone, though. But maybe that part is just me.

I'm not trying to discourage this project, I'm just trying to understand the benefits over the current solution(s). Video is indeed one such benefit.

M.
    I'm good with computers & Ampache took me forever to set up. Just look at the Ampache Mobile forum posts, most people never get it set up and working properly. With KalemSoft's app, it has a nice GUI and only takes a couple of minutes. It doesn't store your media in the cloud, just sets up a simple server on your pc (which does have to have a port forwarded), click what folders you want to be able to stream from and done.
    I'm good with computers & Ampache took me forever to set up. Just look at the Ampache Mobile forum posts, most people never get it set up and working properly.
    Really? I've never stopped by there. I found nothing difficult about it. Ampache's DOCs are quite easy to follow.

With KalemSoft's app, it has a nice GUI and only takes a couple of minutes. It doesn't store your media in the cloud, just sets up a simple server on your pc (which does have to have a port forwarded), click what folders you want to be able to stream from and done.
    Click? Oh. Well, then never mind. I don't use Windows. I haven't trusted my personal data to it since ~1999. Lost WAY too much stuff to that junk over the years.

O-Well. You had my interest in helping out for a bit there.

M.
    I gotcha. At least within webOS there's not an easier way to set up a streaming service for a lot of media types all in one stop. Kinda like having an Orb app, if you have a tuner card on your pc, you can stream tv through it to your phone, does music, video, etc., pretty cool and as far as I know the only other streaming apps available only deal with audio. You can use Orb through the browser, but having an app is a lot nicer.
    I gotcha. At least within webOS there's not an easier way to set up a streaming service for a lot of media types all in one stop. Kinda like having an Orb app, if you have a tuner card on your pc, you can stream tv through it to your phone, does music, video, etc., pretty cool and as far as I know the only other streaming apps available only deal with audio. You can use Orb through the browser, but having an app is a lot nicer.

If this is just streaming from a (faux) http port, does it still require this "special" server service since Ampache can stream video (and "radio stations")? Bytes are bytes. An mp3 is an mp3 no matter what's feeding it. I guess I'll still look into it. If there is something "special" about the server service, I suspect this will not take off since it's not platform independant (like Ampache, just as an example). There's many *NIX and Apple users here. I'd almost go as far as to say that Windows may be the minority relative to "other".

Thank you for all the info!

M.
    Can't wait for this. Been waiting for a while. Keep our fingers crossed for a great app here. Would love to stream video from an HTPC/Server throughout the house via WiFi. My Palm Pre might have to replace my bed partner.
    I sent a ticket in to beta test.

I have over a hundred gigabytes of music, and Zumodrive only lets me add two gigs to my Pre's sixteen. I have 3G service anywhere I go, so it would be nice if I could just leave my laptop on and take everything with me.

If this allows for video streaming, I can help with that too. I have well over 300Gbs of videos in various codecs, both standard and hi-def. If I could take all that with me...

I might not go back to an iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanadu73 View Post
    Well, there's nothing difficult about setting up Ampache. *Any* Server Service will take a good degree of understanding port forwarding, firewall rules, etc., for it to run from home (ISP's TOS almost never allow in-bound traffic on "standard service ports"). Ampache itself is a snap. I sure as hell am not putting all my stuff into the cloud, if this does not run from a machine controlled by ME at MY home.

As for streaming video and such, Ampache does that too, but yes, AmpachPre / Ampache Mobile do not support that. I can't honestly imagine someone sitting around trying to stream a feature length movie over their phone, though. But maybe that part is just me.

I'm not trying to discourage this project, I'm just trying to understand the benefits over the current solution(s). Video is indeed one such benefit.

M.
    Just to chime in here Ampache Mobile does support streaming video.
    Any particular version of Windows? Is it Win 7 (x64) compatible?
    I have tried this and I absolutely love it! It was so easy to set up, and within minutes I was streaming my entire music library! I am curious of a few things:

- When streaming, if you don't intend to add more things to the screen, can you flesh out the controls more (make them larger, add metadata)?

- Can you make the background customizable?

- Can you make the text scrollable if the whole thing isn't big enough for the screen (ex. when displaying a song it will say "A Change of Pace - Wee....." and is cut off)

- When you are backtracking through your music, can you return us to the exact place where we left off on the previous page?

Thank you so much for letting me test this! I love this!!!

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    Just to chime in here Ampache Mobile does support streaming video.

Oh yeah? I honestly wasn't aware of that. I'll have to try it out. Thanks, man!

M.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast