Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. jwinn35's Avatar
    Posts
    390 Posts
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
       #1  
    I just opened gmaps up and I kid not in less than 2 seconds it was up running and had my position locked. I haven't used the app for at least 3 or 4 days so it wasn't just cause I had it up and running recently. I also have not used any gps apps for 2 days. I have sprint pre with harrier kernel. Has anyone else noticed this? I did read somethings about it being a little faster and I checked and it wasn't this fast at all then. Edit: I just looked back at the last post about this and people were still saying really slow, some saying a little faster, but 2 seconds over 7 seconds is a really big improvement.
    Last edited by jwinn35; 12/10/2010 at 04:09 PM.
  2. #2  
    I have also notice a better load time and quicker location fix on Google Maps. I used only BFG Maps until recently but GMaps has replaced it. I am on Verizon and have had a lot of problems with my GPS. I don’t remember loading an update for GMaps but it has gotten better the last few days.

    The only changes I have done lately is to load the Verizon aGPS Blocker. Now my BFGMaps refuses to find my location but Google Maps gets a fix in a matter of seconds.
    Last edited by not-yet-pre; 12/10/2010 at 06:40 PM.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  3. spud101's Avatar
    Posts
    868 Posts
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    #4  
    Not for me. It's a typical HP Palm app. When you tap the icon in the launcher, it will be up and running somewhere in the coming months...
  4. #5  
    Mine is faster. Unclear how much faster - first launch was around 2 seconds. Subsequent launch around 7 - both are faster than was typical a few weeks back when I last paid attention to Google Maps.
  5. #6  
    Mybe the the slow issue was an API issue with Google's servers this whole time.
  6. jwinn35's Avatar
    Posts
    390 Posts
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Mine is faster. Unclear how much faster - first launch was around 2 seconds. Subsequent launch around 7 - both are faster than was typical a few weeks back when I last paid attention to Google Maps.
    yeah I don't know mine has slowed a bit today. Now it is opening around 4 seconds or so, but still much faster than it was.
  7. #8  
    Has anyone checked their other apps that use aGPS to see if they've increased in speed or accuracy finding their location?
  8. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Has anyone checked their other apps that use aGPS to see if they've increased in speed or accuracy finding their location?
    Flixster and Yelp seem to be quicker at getting a fix. Not sure otherwise yet. Could be just the normal random variations that I get.
  9. Analog's Avatar
    Posts
    148 Posts
    Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinn35 View Post
    I just opened gmaps up and I kid not in less than 2 seconds it was up running and had my position locked. I haven't used the app for at least 3 or 4 days so it wasn't just cause I had it up and running recently. I also have not used any gps apps for 2 days. I have sprint pre with harrier kernel. Has anyone else noticed this? I did read somethings about it being a little faster and I checked and it wasn't this fast at all then. Edit: I just looked back at the last post about this and people were still saying really slow, some saying a little faster, but 2 seconds over 7 seconds is a really big improvement.
    Yeah, but that's because you probably didn't need it. Not many people know this, but the Pre has a sensor that can tell whether you're opening Google Maps to "check" it, or because you actually need it to determine where on the planet you are and find your way to where you need to be. If the former, it opens in four seconds or less. If the latter, it throbs for thirty seconds and then displays a screen that reads "Google Maps requires an Internet connection" even though you have four bars of signal and the 3G data icon is plainly visible in the top bar.

    I hope this helps to clear up the confusion.
  10. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog View Post
    Yeah, but that's because you probably didn't need it. Not many people know this, but the Pre has a sensor that can tell whether you're opening Google Maps to "check" it, or because you actually need it to determine where on the planet you are and find your way to where you need to be. If the former, it opens in four seconds or less. If the latter, it throbs for thirty seconds and then displays a screen that reads "Google Maps requires an Internet connection" even though you have four bars of signal and the 3G data icon is plainly visible in the top bar.

    I hope this helps to clear up the confusion.
    ohh that is so true nearly everytime when really needed its slowly. well could also be that if i really need it, i'm kind of lost in nowhere
  11. #12  
    still slow as hell for me...
  12. ToddK's Avatar
    Posts
    666 Posts
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    #13  
    For me, both GMaps and BFGMaps load in about 10 secs, People Finder loads to the Friends screen in 7-10 secs, and loads the map almost instantly once a "Friend"
    has been selected.

    Latitude works in GMaps -IF- I've logged in w/ PeopleFinder sometime prior, and shows my, (and friends), Google avatars on the map. (the log-in w/ PeopleFinder survives reboots and remains logged in)

    All much faster, but still nothing like on an Android device, but that's not shocking.
  13. soydeedo's Avatar
    Posts
    39 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog View Post
    Yeah, but that's because you probably didn't need it. Not many people know this, but the Pre has a sensor that can tell whether you're opening Google Maps to "check" it, or because you actually need it to determine where on the planet you are and find your way to where you need to be. If the former, it opens in four seconds or less. If the latter, it throbs for thirty seconds and then displays a screen that reads "Google Maps requires an Internet connection" even though you have four bars of signal and the 3G data icon is plainly visible in the top bar.

    I hope this helps to clear up the confusion.
    This post is gold. Time and time again Google Maps fails me and it has got to be one of the single greatest sources of frustration on webOS for me.

    Yes, I can use the Sprint Navigation or load up Latitude from one of the 3rd party programs, but it's just sad that we still have these issues with the default map application.

    When my girlfriend's in the car with me I don't even bother checking my phone for directions - I just turn to her magical Evo. February 9th can't come fast enough...
  14. akanak's Avatar
    Posts
    177 Posts
    Global Posts
    190 Global Posts
    #15  
    It and the Youtube are together, the worst apps on the platform. Waste of space/resources. Maybe they should switch to Bing maps.
  15. vreihen's Avatar
    Posts
    495 Posts
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by soydeedo View Post
    Yes, I can use the Sprint Navigation or load up Latitude from one of the 3rd party programs, but it's just sad that we still have these issues with the default map application.
    Sprint Navigation has the exact same sensor! One time, I was on a road trip in downtown Boston just before rush hour, and wanted to get home. First, my Pre complained about not having an Internet connection. Then, it whined about not being able to get a GPS fix. Long story short, I dead reckoned my way out of the city, and the Pre finally finished rebooting with a working Sprint Navigation when I was near Framingham on the Mass Pike. For that matter, my phone crashed and needed to be rebooted something like 5 times that day, and it was the one time that I was absolutely counting on it to get me around. Ironically, it worked without a glitch every day before that, and every day after.....

Posting Permissions