Epocrates for webOS updated, and an open appeal
    Great post.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    People, for whatever it's worth, please go to Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA, epocrates' support page, palm and epocrates' Facebook pages, and express your opinion as forceful and blatantly as possible without being rude. The webos community has been pretty powerful in getting companies like rovio, dataviz, and quickoffice to respond, nay or yay...but atleast we got a response. I would focus more attention on hp palm though because epocrates gave their reasons for pulling development, but as usual we have not received any response from hp on the matter. On the palm dev forums chuq from the dev relations team, mentioned something of the sort that they cannot be responsible for epocrates if they want to "leave the dance early," but they should be responsible for the needs of the healthcare industry that use webos devices, otherwise might as well give up that sector to apple, rim, and android. I think palms response to this debacle is atrocious and really unacceptable, ESP considering how long the healthcare industry has relied on palm and hp devices or many many years
    I just used the Palm feedback link from the post. Had already appealed to Epocrates. Hopefully more voices and "a new phone every 2 months" and some HP $ will get Epocrates back on board. Until then, I am stuck with my annoying Android Epic phone.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prebulls View Post
    who else thinks this might beanother DataViz scenario? That Palm had partnered with a competitor instead...

Just doesnt make sense to me... Still can't believe HP with all it's might and gloryyy will let this happen..
    Epocrates' new EMR is coming out exclusively on iPad/iPhone, if that is any indication. I just don't see the point in a phone that I can't actually talk on (in our rural area, Sprint is iffy enough already). Also, while the Epocrates EMR may be really neat for practices w/o an EMR already, most large practices have already switched to big-name EMRs anyway. So no incentive to go iOS for Epocrates EMR if you already have one. (We use Epic (EMR, not phone) in our HMO/hospitals system).
    I have received 2 e-mail remiupnders from Epocrates to "update as soon as possible" and noting that is the last update before discontinuation. Yes I know they've told us already but to keep being reminded just makes it more depressing.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

I like how they are pushing this "Update", as far as I know, the only thing the update does is add the kill timer so the app won't function in May. haha
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    I like how they are pushing this "Update", as far as I know, the only thing the update does is add the kill timer so the app won't function in May. haha
    But your only viable alternative (if sticking with webOS) is to not update and have an app that may run but will quickly become outdated.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

That's what I was thinking too. I'll pass on the “update.” What's the worst that could happen? Maybe it'll still work?

Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
  8.    #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by odontastic View Post
    That's what I was thinking too. I'll pass on the “update.” What's the worst that could happen? Maybe it'll still work?
    No. If you don't update by Christmas, it becomes inoperable. This was from an Epocrates e-mail.
    So, to summarize:

My device history:

- Jim J.

are there really that many PC members that are doctors? Or does this have broad appeal and I've been missing something?
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I don't know how many PC members are physicians, but I do know a lot of physicians that are/were on a Pre. All of the docs I have spoken with are as upset as we here are about ePocrates bailing on us. They are all planning to switch to iOS or Android, as am I.
    the original palm had a strong hold on doctors because of the first set of PDAs/ Treos/palm os having a large amount of medical software and we all had confidence in palm the world over that they would maintain the software and hence it is a blow to us but luckily there is alternative software but we would be happy if Epocrates came back.Loyalty has been strong to Pam by our community and hopefully we dont have to go elsewhere,i still use my Treo 600 occasionally
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    are there really that many PC members that are doctors? Or does this have broad appeal and I've been missing something?
    Epocrates has had over 141,000 downloads and is the 24th hottest app in the catalog. Many of these downloads are by all health care professionals, not just docs. Re: docs, we have always been one of palm's biggest customers given large number of medical "apps". Epocrates is known to every physician and is a must have option on any PDA or smartphone that we use. I don't think hp to this day even realizes how big of a loss epocrates has been to the webos platform, and virtually guarantees that healthcare personell will stay away from webos.
    Agreed with all posted before...love webOS & love Palm, but may need to get an iOS or Android phone due to needing to use Epocrates for work. Please, HP, get Epocrates on board with webOS. Epocrates Essentials on a PalmPad would be so awesome!
    I have already started the search for a replacement. Android, learning about it. Just got one for a family member and am playing with it. Not as polished as WebOS, but holy smokes, there are a LOT of apps.
    And the screen on the Epic4g is phenominal.
    Joined Android forums and learning about the OS upgrades coming soon.
    I think there are enough of us physicians who are also webOS users. (Although I guess not enough for Epocrates).
    The app is however also useful for other medical users (nurses, pharmacists, EMTs etc).

I'm sort of curious how hard it is for Epocrates to support an additional platform.
    Most of the work (I would think) would be to update the drug database which can then be used across all the platforms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    I have already started the search for a replacement. Android, learning about it. Just got one for a family member and am playing with it. Not as polished as WebOS, but holy smokes, there are a LOT of apps.
    And the screen on the Epic4g is phenominal.
    Joined Android forums and learning about the OS upgrades coming soon.
    I'm in pretty much the same boat.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    There's a pretty fair number here who are physicians, medical students, nurses, or other health professionals. (I happen to be a respiratory therapist).
    My device history:

- Jim J.

my solution thus far, carrying around an ipod touch. No data plan, nice medical apps, thin and non obstrusive, and can use free mobile hotspot with it if needed. And, best part, get to keep my pre plus for everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    my solution thus far, carrying around an ipod touch. No data plan, nice medical apps, thin and non obstrusive, and can use free mobile hotspot with it if needed. And, best part, get to keep my pre plus for everything else.
    Having to carry two devices is not an appealing option for everyone. I remember what a pain it was, years ago, to try to carry both my T5 and a small cell phone. If I could find a single holster which would easily accomadate both devices it might be OK.

The Ipod touch isn't exactly cheap, either.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast