Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    is it free?

when I tried the trial I remember the screen was not optimized for the pre plus and there was a lot of bouncing around with scrolling.
    No, it's not free, and the full version is pretty expensive. You can buy individual databases as well. For instance, just the drug database is $75 for one year, or $150 for 3 years.

Lexi-Comp PDA Software
    neathings - neatˇthings and apps for webOS
    and in many ways I prefer it to Epocrates which has not had an update for the Pre for many months
    Lexi-Comp had updates to my software after just two days and may have done so even earlier as this was the first that I checked for one
    they have references cited for much of their information and seem generally more thorough than Epocrates
    I find Lexi-Comp's interaction check superior as well
    I do not wish to give up my Pre & with Lexi-Comp I feel like I am losing little by showing Epocrates the door
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I'm afraid neither LexiComp nor Pepid meet my needs/preferences. I am on the 14 day Pepid trial, but without formulary information it's not adequate. The rest of Pepid is OK, but not quite as intuitive as ePocrates Essentials. I could live with Pepid if it added formulary info (hint, hint). LexiComp is just not well organized with all the modules non-integrated, and is hard to navigate. I will play with the ePocrates mobile web site, but it seems too slow even with a good EVDO signal. I'm leaning towards either iPhone on Verizon, leaving Sprint or switching on Sprint to Android. Either way, I'll wait til CES to see who has what announcements. I wish I could stay on Sprint with webOS though.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    This is a disaster! I have been thinking of the future, and how I could not live without epocrates. This blows. I could stick with palm pre and just buy an ipod touch or I could just use my next upgrade this summer for a new android device (non-4g).
    I think everyone should just go pressure Epocrates to reverse their decision.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrg548 View Post
    While this does suck for HPalm, Epocrates created the situation themselves by only ever releasing a non-updating beta version while the full version could still be used in Classic. With that situation, of course there was a "relatively low interest level"! If they had released a full version to WebOS, I bet the interest level would have risen to a point where it would be worth at least maintaining.

And while the full version may be better, as an EMS provider I found the beta version to be highly disappointing. The pill ID function has never been able to identify an unknown pill for me - I use the pill ID page at Drugs.com, and have had a 100% success rate there with prescription meds. Epocrates' (beta) drug listings have failed me more often than not, as well - I've gotten better results for my needs using Wikipedia. In-hospital or medical office providers may be happy with it, but for me, what I saw in the beta would not have convinced me to pay for the app if a full version was available.

I can't really say I'm surprised at this development, and my only disappointment is because of how it might hurt WebOS.
    Put your local Walmart on speed dial. We have Gold Standard right there with a pill identifier ready in 2 clicks

This is awful. Losing Epocrates is going to hurt badly. I am a Certified Pharmacy Technician and I use Epocrates almost daily to supplement Gold Standard's info. Epocrates even helped me stop a physician from giving me potentially life threatening medication >_> I guess I'm going to have to suck it up and start building up reference manuals again. Thank God that I can get 3G through the walls where I work.
    People, for whatever it's worth, please go to Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA, epocrates' support page, palm and epocrates' Facebook pages, and express your opinion as forceful and blatantly as possible without being rude. The webos community has been pretty powerful in getting companies like rovio, dataviz, and quickoffice to respond, nay or yay...but atleast we got a response. I would focus more attention on hp palm though because epocrates gave their reasons for pulling development, but as usual we have not received any response from hp on the matter. On the palm dev forums chuq from the dev relations team, mentioned something of the sort that they cannot be responsible for epocrates if they want to "leave the dance early," but they should be responsible for the needs of the healthcare industry that use webos devices, otherwise might as well give up that sector to apple, rim, and android. I think palms response to this debacle is atrocious and really unacceptable, ESP considering how long the healthcare industry has relied on palm and hp devices or many many years
  8.    #108  
    otherwise might as well give up that sector to apple, rim, and android. I think palms response to this debacle is atrocious and really unacceptable, ESP considering how long the healthcare industry has relied on palm and hp devices or many many years
    Sounds like the sector has already been lost, given Epocrates' reason for d/c'ing the app. If developing for WebOS only looks like it will end up in monetary losses, then it's hard to blame them for taking the step that they did. I agree, the focus should be put on HP and what they can do to woo Epocrates back into the fold. Chuq washing his hands clean and saying he's not responsible is a BS answer. Palm is in desperate need for developers and the leaders of the dev relations team needs to step it up. Obviously they haven't been doing a good job thus far.
    Epocrates support form to provide them with feedback and politely request reconsidering reinstating webOS support:

Epocrates Search Portal
    I am flabbergasted and utterly speechless at hp palm's responses to the "epocrates debacle." someone over at the palm dev forums, under "the off topic lounge", has started a thread with that heading. It has been one of the most popular threads in the off topic lounge, with 24 posts and 280 views since the topic went live. I have contributed quite a bit to that conversation as just one of the avenues to get either palm's or epocrates' attention, along with palm's feedback page, facebook pages for palm and epocrates, and epocrates customer service.

here are some of Chuq Von Rospach's responses..Palm Developer Community Manager, on the topic.

"...we don't own epocrates, and we can't exactly point a gun at them and force them to do somethinh. If someone's decided to leave the dance early we can't lock the doors."

"all questions for the epocrates folks, not something we can answer here"

"in all honesty this isn't a developer issue, it's a product issue and not really relevant for this forum (off topic lounge, really?), so please lets drop it."

"there is off topic, and then there is "beating a dead horse."

all I have to say is WOW. I understand hp palm is sensitive to the topic and can't be too happy in losing epocrates, but these responses are dumbfounding. I don't mean to point out anyone per say, but given these are the ONLY statements out of anyone from palm re: the matter, it's pretty telling, and sadly, from one of the biggest palm supporters since the XIIIe, m505, E, TX, treo 700p, palm pre plus, extremely saddening.

My focus of the posts shifted from why palm let epocrates slip away to what role, if any, hp and palm would have for webOS in the healthcare field. It's all great and fun to get game companies like EA, glu mobile, and rovio to bring games to webOS, and to hear about enyo and ares and mojo and hybrid sdk/pdk dev frameworks...but someone should remind palm that the CONSUMER is the final destination for smartphones and tablets, and if they can't deliver or be responsive to the needs of a big sector such as the healthcare field, then they should let us know so that this industry, which has already been shifting big time from palm OS and windows mobile to iphone, blackberry, and gradually android, over the past 3 years, can officially count webOS out of their future.

I know this post is gonna fall on deaf ears, but I had to get it off my chest. Very disappointing HP and Palm.
    It's a shame that HP/Palm let Epocrates go...Ironically Epocrates got their start on Palm PDA hardware. Epocrates to Palm is equivalent to Photoshop for Mac or Word Perfect for PC. As a physician, my next smartphone will have to be either iPhone or Android. Love webOS, but will need a smartphone to support apps that I use @ work...
    The tiny cataloge of apps after 1.5 years, and the loss of important apps reduces webos to the likes of a featurephone.

"...we don't own epocrates, and we can't exactly point a gun at them and force them to do somethinh. If someone's decided to leave the dance early we can't lock the doors."

"all questions for the epocrates folks, not something we can answer here"
    What a total straw man statement!!

Of course you can't "force" a developer to do something. Does that mean you can't maintain communication with a developer and find out what their needs are to be successful on your platform, offer them support, etc.?

Losing a big name app means losing users, and that is definitely something that Palm should be concerned about and should have been proactive on.

(I better shut up before I launch into a rant....)
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  14.    #114  
    MDSmartphone:

You should tell Chuq to download this document I uploaded to my Dropbox: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1661648/mobilemixnov2010.zip

One of the charts shows that only 4% of developers who haven't published apps for WebOS are planning to do so in 2011. See page 4. They came in placed 7 out of 7 different operating systems.
    nice we jut got our latest update from Epocrates .........but wait
    just got the update too.
    I noticed quite a few posted their displeasure for epocrates' decision under app reviews.

however there isn't much in the way of complaints to either palm or epocrates on their facebook pages. Please people, bother and poke these two companies on their respective facebook, twitter, and feedback pages if you are as disappointed as me in the withdrawal of epocrates.
    Just sent ePocrates a "plea" on their support page to postpone their decision until end of 2011, after HP's impact on WebOS is more visible. Perhaps if we all keep doing so, AND if HP "steps up to the plate" they might grant a "reprieve".

Text of my email...

Just want to complain about ePocrates decision to discontinue support for the new Palm/WebOS devices. Granted, WebOS marketshare is quite small right now, but since HP purchased Palm, they have committed to releasing a NUMBER of new WebOS smartphones and Tablets in 2011. IMHO, ePocrates should at least have CONSULTED with HP/Palm first, before withdrawing support. I think it's VERY premature to be writing off WebOS, as most users and developers consider it to be a much better platform than iOS or Android, and with HP's backing, it's likely to regain a significant market in mobile computing.
    P.S. I agree fully that HP ought to be throwing some $$ or other leverage ePocrates way, to at least buy another year of time for WebOS to definitively succeed (or fail).
    Last edited by sleepysurf; 12/16/2010 at 06:50 AM. Reason: added text
    I've tweeted and also blogged about and open appeal to Epocrates here:
    http://j.mp/dOqFVP
    who else thinks this might beanother DataViz scenario? That Palm had partnered with a competitor instead...

Just doesnt make sense to me... Still can't believe HP with all it's might and gloryyy will let this happen..
    [QUOTE=palmdoc2005;2798828]I've tweeted and also blogged about and open appeal to Epocrates here:
    [url]

saw webOSquire retweet your post.
    can you also direct webOSquire to my
    posts on the palm dev page and chuq's responses for the "epocrates debacle"?
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast