Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    sorry to say this, but the website compared to a well constructed app is the difference between an iPhone and using a webos device right now. One is easy, the other difficult. I will not make disparaging remarks concerning hp developers, but if the logic is to use websites to take the place of apps, close up shop now and save yourself the trouble of calling yourselves developers.Why doesn't hp buy epocrates, then they will make a product that is useful for hp phones. short of that, learn how to whistle in the wind while chewing saltines. your phone needs a revival, and the website for epocrates provides a wake.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    That's all fine and dandy. The mobile site works fine. Problem is it requires data usage, a problem for those not on unlimited plans, and worse, the battery will drain faster unless you have a strong wifi connection at your office which I don't. I would much prefer the app.
    Wouldn't it run quite a bit slower also?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    For me, epocrates online runs about as fast as the webOS app which takes a bit of load time too.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  4.    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Wouldn't it run quite a bit slower also?
    The app is faster and better to navigate around. When I'm on call I turn off data to conserve battery life and keep the app open. That way I'm much faster at looking up drugs than those around me, which does count for something as a medical student. Webapps are always slower than native apps due to speed of the internet, wifi connection, etc., but I guess the webapp will provide somewhat of a stopgap while I wait for my contract to expire.
    HP better do something about ePocrates... i rarely demand but this one i will make an exception...

Hopefully Pepid doesnt pull support...
    how is pepid and how much does it cost?

leaving epocrates is a paradigm shift for me, I can't imagine going through my medical career without it.

really really REALLY stinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by dhrubinmd View Post
    It has been a short and stormy ride for this operating system. Perhaps Sprint saw this coming and pulled out in anticipation of upset customers blaming them for a high end phone that cannot deliver the basics. It does not have a workable interaction with word documents since its inception. The palm pre has major problems with pdf files. It will lose Epocrates- which is a bell weather for the physician community. Perhaps it will be reinvented for kids in middle school who need a phone they can hide in their pockets. It is no longer a serious player if one wants to use the device for work situations. Palm and now HP has not been responsive to the community. Perhaps they can sell the patents on the accessories to apple. I like the touchstone. That must be worth 1.2 billion.
    There have been all kinds of excuses for the slow rate of apps appearing on this operating system. The bottom line is that they don't sell enough phones to make development worthwhile, and they hype themselves to the point of exhaustion. Is there an excuse for Epocrates never providing a full app, and now for pulling out? Do the math? Why have the other really cool apps that are available on other platforms stayed away from webOS? Do the math? It is not being negative to note that there are less than 5000 apps, most of them not worth owning even when free. And now for medical apps, we have work around for what should be present but will never be. Rubinstein needs to be out of the cloud and onto dry land. HP needs to sell the technology while it is still worth something, since at their rate of development, the current market will have passed them by. Sprint has reinvented itself - palm is still aiming to go out of business.
    sorry to say this, but the website compared to a well constructed app is the difference between an iPhone and using a webos device right now. One is easy, the other difficult. I will not make disparaging remarks concerning hp developers, but if the logic is to use websites to take the place of apps, close up shop now and save yourself the trouble of calling yourselves developers.Why doesn't hp buy epocrates, then they will make a product that is useful for hp phones. short of that, learn how to whistle in the wind while chewing saltines. your phone needs a revival, and the website for epocrates provides a wake.
    I know you're angry with your cracked USB port Pre and Palm / Sprint didn't warranty it properly, but trolling and adding useless posts that keep repeating the same point is completely uncalled for.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    HP better do something about ePocrates... i rarely demand but this one i will make an exception...

totally agree - only hope here is that HP comes up with new devices and they resurrect it
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Brethren - let us all pray for a new and better day ahead, with a WebOS superphone running WebOS Epocrates Essentials! Let me hear you now!

(I wish it was that easy.... to add fuel to the fire, one day after Epocrates diss'es us on WebOS, they announced Epocrates Essentials for AndroidOS today).
  10.    #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    how is pepid and how much does it cost?
    It gets 3/5 stars in the catalog. It's a free trial. I forget how long it lasts. $200 for full version. Requires data connection for some functions. Users complain of slow speed.

Quote Originally Posted by BBooDoc View Post
    they announced Epocrates Essentials for AndroidOS today
    Wow. That is excellent. It makes me want to switch to Android now and stick with Sprint, rather than waiting 8 months for my contract to expire and being free to choose from different carriers. Must... have... patience...
    Last edited by stung; 12/10/2010 at 01:19 AM.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Personally I would want a native app that resides on my phone so I don't have to rely on a constant data connection. I've used epocrates for many years as an EMT and greatly enjoy it, quite often using it just to provide me with information as to a patient's history based on their meds. I can't count on a data connection in the field so it really needs to be a native app. Sure we have pocket guides but those are usually out of date for meds before they even leave the publisher. I hope (fingers crossed) that HP and epocrates can work something out to bring this back.
    Theres been quite a stir by many of us on precentral re the matter, but very minimal outcry on twitter or Facebook. Please let hp and epocrates know your feelings by posting on each. In addition go to palm's and epocrates website and leave feedback. Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I know you're angry with your cracked USB port Pre and Palm / Sprint didn't warranty it properly, but trolling and adding useless posts that keep repeating the same point is completely uncalled for.
    Troll or no troll, dhrubinmd put the economics in as plain as English as I have seen elsewhere on the forum.

I am a huge webOS fan, but something has got to change with apps, and that won't happen until the public gets excited about a piece of hardware and gets purchased, a lot.

I think there is a better than average chance this will happen in 2011, but in the mean time, HP should be flipping cash towards key developers to keep development going until that happens. My opinion.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
    You know guys the more I hear the more I am inclined to move to Android. The WEBOS story is beginning to sound much like the apple story I once knew.

In 1985 I bought my first PC and at the time for those of your old enough the choices were either DOS, Apple or Amiga.

I bought into DOS because there were tons of programs (apps), Android is the DOS of the time, and WEBOS is the Apple of the time. In a nut shell even though the market is different, etc....
    Problem with Android is that there are not a lot devices out there with a form factor I'd be happy with, and none on Sprint.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    This is what happens when you tell developers that they have one year to re-write their apps in the new Enyo framework. Companies don't like having to pay for development twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post

PEPID is definitely not pulling support for WebOS. We were the first medical app on the device, and will keep supporting it!
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I am not angry at a cracked USB port. Sprint did cover it. However, what does this have to do with the topic at hand? I have a fully functioning Palm Pre. That said, the issue at hand is the ability of Palm to maintain market share when it loses a major developer of a quality app. How do you propose for HP/Palm to hear that they are in jeopardy of losing loyal customers? If there is no way to provide high quality business related apps, then go ahead and attack those who, in good faith, purchased the product.
    Global Posts
    540 Global Posts
    have you guys tried out Lexi-Comp? it's not as pretty as Epocrates, but the drug database seems similar, and in some cases has more detail (like pharmacokinetics, etc). it's also more up to date. Also, it has the 5 minute clinical consult built in, where epocrates still hadn't released any clinical information for WebOS.

The downsides are it's not quite as fast, and a bit more difficult to navigate, but once you get used to it, it's really not bad.

I would defiantly give it a try if you are upset about losing epocrates.
    neathings - neat·things and apps for webOS
    is it free?

when I tried the trial I remember the screen was not optimized for the pre plus and there was a lot of bouncing around with scrolling.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast