Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Buy an iPod touch. Then you have an MP3 player, mini-tablet and Epocrates?

Rather die...Just go get the application and check it out. I just did and it is very cool I can use it for my mother meds etc. If lots o f people all of the sudden get it might change their mind. I was not aware of it but it is really a good app to have. So when they give you e medicine you know what it does and lots of info about it..
    This is just unfortunate. HP should be sidling up to all these excellent developers and doing what they can to retain them.

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    As a nurse, this app has been invaluable in the clinical setting. This news is maddening to say the least, as is HP/Palm's deafening silence on the release of new devices. At this point I'd settle for an announcement of when they're gonna have an announcement. Don't they realize that while they're playing it close to the vest for the sake of not divulging trade secrets or whatever, they're hemorrhaging customers and developers. For the love of everything techy, THROW US A BONE!!!!!!
    We have enough youth, how about a fountain of smart?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    but why would they want to come back off on the basis of vague promises of 'surges' and 'new devices'? - not trying to be snarky but the iOS and Android roadmaps are clear and developers like that (as well as decent marketshare). If these devices are released and marketshare comes back, then developers are sure to but the bottom line is they are not charities and it looks like WebOS is not profitable at the moment and more importantly, does not appear to be profitable in the near future.
    All valid points.

But it seemed like if they don't at least hear from us distressed webOS users, we might as well be waving a white flag.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    platform hasn't had new earth shattering astroids and explosions for phones in almost TWO YEARS.... thats right.. every 6 months a new android phone comes out... we are 2 years in the past.. ever take a look at the developer section? see how much that has slowed down?

HP better flood the market with kik but phones and advertising... CES better not ONLY introduce WebOS2.0.. or we are in BIG trouble
    this one really hurt...
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    sinime - a third party Dev would never be able to make an Epocrates app and successfully release it. They MAY be able to convince Epocrates to look at their app and consider supporting it, but it's a long shot. As can be seen from a previous article here on PC, big time companies will very quickly reconsider third party Dev contributions and will not hesitate to take legal action to protect something they had no plans on doing in the first place. It really hinders creativity and bothers me as a third party dev who wanted to help bring some good major apps (such as Epocrates) to webOS.
    One of my apps, the "Beer Knurd" app, simply grabs the xml feeds you would get off the internet from the official The Flying Saucer Draught Emporium - www.beerknurd.com web site, stores the information adding some additional functionality that is not available from the official web site or any of my competitor's apps on webOS and Android (surprisingly, there is not an iOS version) and displays it in a webOS friendly manner. The Flying Saucer has given me verbal permission to do so and I don't claim my app is the "official" app. In fact I clearly state on the first line of its description, "This is it, the unofficial, Flying Saucer, Beer Knurd app."

EDIT: Actually, I take that back. I do have emails from the Saucer giving me permission and helping me with some API's that their in store kiosks use that are not used on the official web site.

I was just thinking the same could be done for this... just tap into the mobile (or full web site) and grab the info it offers to be presented in a webOS user friendly manner. Epocrates would not have to support the app at all.

I might add that there is not a BIG demand for my app as I have a paltry 148 downloads @ $0.99 a pop. How many webOS users are Beer Knurd members at the 14 Flying Saucer bars scattered throughout the US? I have not and will not ever recover the time I put into it, except that this is something I wanted for myself. I continue to adjust and modify it, obviously not cause of all the money I am making off of it, but because the features I am adding are things that I or my wife would like to have included.
    Last edited by sinime; 12/08/2010 at 04:53 PM.
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    I have responded to that letter, and i hope all of you do likewise. Maybe we can be of some influence. I am glad I still have my T/X going.
    I responded to the letter. I also sent HP a copy of the letter as they should know the real life consequences of their silence.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    I was just thinking the same could be done for this... just tap into the mobile (or full web site) and grab the info it offers to be presented in a webOS user friendly manner. Epocrates would not have to support the app at all.
    Drugview is now in the official App Catalog with Epocrates search reinstated. The search result view will be enhanced for multiple hits.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I was/am very upset about this, and had a minor freak out when I first heard. Though I decided to give the mobile site a try, and it really is no different, if not BETTER than the app. It keeps you logged in and even saves the spot where you were when you were last logged in. It has all the options that the app did. So what I decided to do was search for an image of the logo and add it to my launcher and then edit the image and and assign it with the link to the Epocrates mobile site, so now when I click it in my launcher page titled "School & Medicine" it takes me straight to the mobile site just as if I were to open the application.

On principal the fact that Epocrates is pulling out is a disgrace, but this is a decent alternative and I suggest giving it a try.

I find it even more ironic that they are pulling the app 2 weeks prior to me starting Physician Assistant school. How cool, not.
    That's all fine and dandy. The mobile site works fine. Problem is it requires data usage, a problem for those not on unlimited plans, and worse, the battery will drain faster unless you have a strong wifi connection at your office which I don't. I would much prefer the app.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Like I said, just a suggestion, I find it better than not having the option at all. I also would much prefer to have the app, but this option does ease the pain a little.
    Drugview has been refreshed with a new search result page for epocrates when you get multiple hits. The version in Homebrew has been updated here:
    http://uploads.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/drugview
    Note the App ID has changed so if you are using the Homebrew version, please delete the older version. The version currently in the App catalog will be updated when bugs are thrashed out. I am happy to note the Wikipedia formatting is back to normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by xokatwoman View Post
    I was/am very upset about this, and had a minor freak out when I first heard. Though I decided to give the mobile site a try, and it really is no different, if not BETTER than the app. It keeps you logged in and even saves the spot where you were when you were last logged in. It has all the options that the app did. So what I decided to do was search for an image of the logo and add it to my launcher and then edit the image and and assign it with the link to the Epocrates mobile site, so now when I click it in my launcher page titled "School & Medicine" it takes me straight to the mobile site just as if I were to open the application.

On principal the fact that Epocrates is pulling out is a disgrace, but this is a decent alternative and I suggest giving it a try.

I find it even more ironic that they are pulling the app 2 weeks prior to me starting Physician Assistant school. How cool, not.
    @xokatwoman How did you assign a new image to a website link in your launcher???
    There have been all kinds of excuses for the slow rate of apps appearing on this operating system. The bottom line is that they don't sell enough phones to make development worthwhile, and they hype themselves to the point of exhaustion. Is there an excuse for Epocrates never providing a full app, and now for pulling out? Do the math? Why have the other really cool apps that are available on other platforms stayed away from webOS? Do the math? It is not being negative to note that there are less than 5000 apps, most of them not worth owning even when free. And now for medical apps, we have work around for what should be present but will never be. Rubinstein needs to be out of the cloud and onto dry land. HP needs to sell the technology while it is still worth something, since at their rate of development, the current market will have passed them by. Sprint has reinvented itself - palm is still aiming to go out of business.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Drugview has been refreshed with a new search result page for epocrates when you get multiple hits. The version in Homebrew has been updated here:
    http://uploads.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/drugview
    Note the App ID has changed so if you are using the Homebrew version, please delete the older version. The version currently in the App catalog will be updated when bugs are thrashed out. I am happy to note the Wikipedia formatting is back to normal.
    Again, I'm not an Epocrates user, but noticed some mentioning that having to use data is a drawback to using the mobile site. Does Drugview store the retrieved data localy for future look-ups without using the internet?

This sounds like it could be a viable alternative to Epocrates!
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Epocrates may have saved my wife's life. She wasn't feeling well, and I looked up the interactions of the medications she was taking. I found a serious problem, and we got some Kaise P doctors in trouble for not doing their homework. I hope the mobile web site works as well. It is nice having an offline database for those time where one is not able to connect online.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Again, I'm not an Epocrates user, but noticed some mentioning that having to use data is a drawback to using the mobile site. Does Drugview store the retrieved data localy for future look-ups without using the internet?

This sounds like it could be a viable alternative to Epocrates!
    No, at the moment Drugview does not actively save the data locally. Adding favorites/bookmarked Drugs could be viable though - perhaps in a future version.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyea View Post
    Epocrates may have saved my wife's life. She wasn't feeling well, and I looked up the interactions of the medications she was taking. I found a serious problem, and we got some Kaise P doctors in trouble for not doing their homework. I hope the mobile web site works as well. It is nice having an offline database for those time where one is not able to connect online.

The Epocrates online site has drug Multicheck. It works well, only you need a data connection - which is the whole purpose of a webOS device.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast