Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 143
  1. emt981's Avatar
    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    #41  
    Same here got the email and am highly dissapointed at this decision. I've been using epocrates for many years in the EMS field and has been a great field reference because of the updates (pocket guides can't do that) and this is a blow. I've had my Pre for a year now and love it. Tried a Blackberry simultaneously on another line I had and was nowhere as happy with it as I am with Pre. Dumped the Blackberry last week. I hope that epocrates reconsiders after some new devices come out.

    I have to agree with the above post that epocrates didn't exactly help themselves as they only released a partial app for WebOS with no autoupdate. If they were truely interested is WebOS development then they should have released a full version to see what the interest was. Having used PalmOS and WinMobile versions of it I couldn't possibly compare the WebOS version properly as it wasn't the same app.

    To those working with WebOS Internals and the Homebrew community thank you for all the time effort you people have put into WebOS. If you are able to do something to help I think we all would appreciate it (and maybe epocrates will take another look).
  2. #42  
    A plus could be in that no mention of stopping Palm OS support was mentioned. Yes, having to use Classic is a bother, but it would still give us access to the program.
  3. #43  
    Yep, got the mail as well.
    Dont know much about Android phones but will have to start looking into it.
  4. #44  
    Looks like HP Palm should be throwing some of their own resources at this one.
  5. #45  
    What's even more bothersome is that hp and palm's developer relations team didn't intervene, and have not said anything about the departure of epocrates. You would think that since hp supposedly has some kind of road map that epocrates was atleast made aware of hp's plans. The thought that epocrates was so final in their wording that they would not develop anymore for webs and cease functioning in may, which is SIX months away leaves me very worried about webos' future. Does epocrates know something we don't?
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by toaste View Post
    A plus could be in that no mention of stopping Palm OS support was mentioned. Yes, having to use Classic is a bother, but it would still give us access to the program.
    Classic is going away with 2.0.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    What's even more bothersome is that hp and palm's developer relations team didn't intervene, and have not said anything about the departure of epocrates. You would think that since hp supposedly has some kind of road map that epocrates was atleast made aware of hp's plans. The thought that epocrates was so final in their wording that they would not develop anymore for webs and cease functioning in may, which is SIX months away leaves me very worried about webos' future. Does epocrates know something we don't?
    Sounds a bit like the Classic/MotionApps story doesn't it?
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    What's even more bothersome is that hp and palm's developer relations team didn't intervene, and have not said anything about the departure of epocrates. You would think that since hp supposedly has some kind of road map that epocrates was atleast made aware of hp's plans. The thought that epocrates was so final in their wording that they would not develop anymore for webs and cease functioning in may, which is SIX months away leaves me very worried about webos' future. Does epocrates know something we don't?
    Very insightful post.

    There's a story on webOS Roundup that makes the same point:

    Is Epocrates Clueless? Or is HP Failing to Court Big-Name webOS Developers? | webOSroundup
    My device history:

    - Jim J.

    (On Sprint for many years)
  9. #49  
    An E-mail i got from them....HP needs to throw some advertisement for WebOs...this is a bad sign


    Due to the relatively low interest level among our user base, Epocrates has decided to discontinue support of the Palm® webOS™ platform for smartphones.

    There will be one last clinical update in mid-December and we will notify you as soon as it is available. If you need to install or update the product, please do so by 2/1. On that date, we will remove the application from the App Catalog.

    You can keep access to Epocrates content through our online site , which is optimized for your mobile device. Please note this will require Internet access. Also, if you are in the process of deciding on a new device, we encourage you to look at Epocrates products on iPhone® and iPod touch® and Android™ devices — with quick access to all you need at the point of care.

    The Epocrates Rx® for Palm webOS application will cease to work in May. At that time, the app will not open and will cease to function.

    Please see our FAQ for additional information.
  10. #50  
    my bad....should have checked first...
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Very insightful post.

    There's a story on webOS Roundup that makes the same point:

    Is Epocrates Clueless? Or is HP Failing to Court Big-Name webOS Developers? | webOSroundup
    Well, the ball is in HP Palm's court now. They cannot afford to keep silent on this major major blow. They MUST respond.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
  12. #52  
    It has been a short and stormy ride for this operating system. Perhaps Sprint saw this coming and pulled out in anticipation of upset customers blaming them for a high end phone that cannot deliver the basics. It does not have a workable interaction with word documents since its inception. The palm pre has major problems with pdf files. It will lose Epocrates- which is a bell weather for the physician community. Perhaps it will be reinvented for kids in middle school who need a phone they can hide in their pockets. It is no longer a serious player if one wants to use the device for work situations. Palm and now HP has not been responsive to the community. Perhaps they can sell the patents on the accessories to apple. I like the touchstone. That must be worth 1.2 billion.
  13. #53  
    The fact that, after 24 hrs, there are only ~60+ comments in the main news article, and only 50+ comments in this Forum thread, pretty much confirms that the Physician/Nursing/Paramedical Palm community has long ago left for greener pastures. In the former Palm "heyday" there would have been an outcry of hundreds, if not thousands, of posts! The Epocrates team is apparently correct that WebOS is dead. Fortunately, I've been slowly migrating all my old Palm (Medical Reference) Memos to Google Docs via Inglorious Notes, so I'll soon be ready to jump to Android. If HP isn't scrambling behind the scenes to "reverse" Epocrates decision, then it's clear that they too know it's game over.
  14. #54  
    i hope we get an alternative soon.epocrates is such a necessity
  15. #55  
    For what it's worth, here's the response I received this morning from ePocrates:

    ===============

    *Discussion Thread
    *Response (Oscar Perdomo) 12/08/2010 05:55 AM
    Good day Mr. Jeffcoat,

    Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding Epocrates.

    I have forwarded your suggestion on to our Product Development team for consideration.

    Please let us know if you have any additional feedback or suggestions.

    NEW! Access drug and disease information online with the Epocrates(r)
    Online free web-based reference.
    Search Now*https://online.epocrates.com/home
    *Customer (Jim Jeffcoat) 12/07/2010 04:13 PM
    Very dissapointed and upset that you will no longer be supporting webOS.

    Is that there no possibility that you would reconsider? HP is planning the release of several new devices next year and are anticipating a surge in the market share and interest.
  16. #56  
    I don't use or have a need for this app, but notice there are many who do and are very upset about this news.

    Is there a possibility that this opens a hole for a third party dev to fill it in? I don't see why a front end couldn't be developed to interface with the web site work just as well as the app they have on other platforms. I could possibly take on the project, but as mentioned before, I know nothing of Epocrates, how it operates, how information should be displayed, etc... There could be some issues with licensing, but if they have no interest in webOS, would they really care? They may even grant permission and OK it for some lucky dev., but IDK for sure?


    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Classic is going away with 2.0.
    Although it isn't easy for the average, non-P|C user, you can get classic running on 2.0...


    http://forums.precentral.net/general...2-0-above.html
    Last edited by sinime; 12/08/2010 at 10:55 AM.
  17. kbaker's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    #57  
    I don't want to leave WebOS, but without this app, I have to.
  18. #58  
    sinime - a third party Dev would never be able to make an Epocrates app and successfully release it. They MAY be able to convince Epocrates to look at their app and consider supporting it, but it's a long shot. As can be seen from a previous article here on PC, big time companies will very quickly reconsider third party Dev contributions and will not hesitate to take legal action to protect something they had no plans on doing in the first place. It really hinders creativity and bothers me as a third party dev who wanted to help bring some good major apps (such as Epocrates) to webOS.
  19. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    For what it's worth, here's the response I received this morning from ePocrates:

    ===============

    *Discussion Thread
    *Response (Oscar Perdomo) 12/08/2010 05:55 AM
    Good day Mr. Jeffcoat,

    Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding Epocrates.

    I have forwarded your suggestion on to our Product Development team for consideration.

    Please let us know if you have any additional feedback or suggestions.

    NEW! Access drug and disease information online with the Epocrates(r)
    Online free web-based reference.
    Search Now*https://online.epocrates.com/home
    *Customer (Jim Jeffcoat) 12/07/2010 04:13 PM
    Very dissapointed and upset that you will no longer be supporting webOS.

    Is that there no possibility that you would reconsider? HP is planning the release of several new devices next year and are anticipating a surge in the market share and interest.
    but why would they want to come back off on the basis of vague promises of 'surges' and 'new devices'? - not trying to be snarky but the iOS and Android roadmaps are clear and developers like that (as well as decent marketshare). If these devices are released and marketshare comes back, then developers are sure to but the bottom line is they are not charities and it looks like WebOS is not profitable at the moment and more importantly, does not appear to be profitable in the near future.
  20. #60  
    Hey guys just go and check the app out. I just did and it is very cool I can use it for my mother meds etc. If lots o f people all of the sudden get it might change their mind. I was not aware of it but it is really a good app to have. So when they give you e medicine you know what it does and lots of info about it. Just get it and type Aspirin you will see.
    Last edited by tungsten C; 12/08/2010 at 12:27 PM.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions