Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1.    #21  
    I would rather not have to carry an extra small gadget around though. If I had to get one, it would be a tablet of some kind solely to better check up on electronic med records, plus the residency program may pay for it. Perhaps I'll wait and see what tech is out at the time?
    I waited FOREVER with my Treo 700 for the new Palm to come out.....was dazzled & amazed....still learning the ins & outs.....had to replace my phone once due to droppage.....and now this????

Have been a faithful Palm person since about 1997......carried a pager, palm & phone for years.....made the transition to smart phone when they appeared, and now.....

My family all swears with Androids, we live in rural WA and Verizon is about it....I'll sit tight for a few weeks but this may be it for me.
    In fact....I still stubbornly have been putting my surgical cases into my old Palm Treo 700 and uploading that to the ACS website.........wow have I been stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    I would rather not have to carry an extra small gadget around though. If I had to get one, it would be a tablet of some kind solely to better check up on electronic med records, plus the residency program may pay for it. Perhaps I'll wait and see what tech is out at the time?
    Something the size of the Galaxy Tab or Playbook would make for a pretty mobile tablet. Wonder if they'll support RIM's new OS they are using on the Playbook or not?
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Something the size of the Galaxy Tab or Playbook would make for a pretty mobile tablet. Wonder if they'll support RIM's new OS they are using on the Playbook or not?
    Agreed. They are the perfect size. Not so big that I would have to lug it around everywhere with my hands, and small and light enough to fit comfortably in a coat pocket. Here's hoping for some exciting tablets down the line with decent battery life.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Looks like the end of the road for me with both Palm and Sprint. ePocrates at full Essentials version is non-negotiable for me, so even Android doesn't have that. That leaves iOS, Blackberry or Win. Likely will see what Verizon announces about the iPhone. Too bad, I've been a Palm medical advocate for years and webOS is a great system. Anything else will be a step backward, but my patients need me to have access to what ePocrates Essentials supplies. I tried the 1 month LexiComp trial: poor formulary info, too many non-integrated modules, too expensive for such poor organization. Sigh.
    I just got this email today from epocrates. one of my most beloved apps i use on a daily basis at work, i don't know what i will do without it. they just announced they will quit supporting webos

Due to the relatively low interest level among our user base, Epocrates has decided to discontinue support of the Palm® webOS™ platform for smartphones.

There will be one last clinical update in mid-December and we will notify you as soon as it is available. If you need to install or update the product, please do so by 2/1. On that date, we will remove the application from the App Catalog.

You can keep access to Epocrates content through our online site , which is optimized for your mobile device. Please note this will require Internet access. Also, if you are in the process of deciding on a new device, we encourage you to look at Epocrates products on iPhone® and iPod touch® and Android™ devices — with quick access to all you need at the point of care.

The Epocrates Rx® for Palm webOS application will cease to work in May. At that time, the app will not open and will cease to function.
    <<threads merged>>
    I'm sorry for all of you who depend on the Epocrates medical guide. But it's a niche market to begin with, and on a very small user base like webOS I don't fault them for pulling out. Before all of the Palm fans start 'marching on the castle', remember that it is all about being able to make a living. If there were not enough sales to support the development cost, they owed it to their employees to do what would best position them for success.

But seriously, if the program remained on webOS, how much would that have helped sales? This is a disappointment for sure, but hardly the proverbial nail in the coffin. (Apologies to my green friend above). What percentage of the 60 plus million iPhone users use this program, which is readily available to them?

There are bigger fish to fry for HP/Palm and that is what they need to focus all of their attention on right now. Put out a new device on killer hardware, advertise like your life depends on it (because it does) and build up and build around the core functions (contacts, mail, calendar, and personal productivity).

If they do, those other applications will will come, because the apps will follow the users.
    << Threads Merged >>
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    This is a big blow for me. like others i too depend on this app everyday. What's worse is I just got my pre plus in may with at&t!

Now I don't even have anything to get excited for new hardware
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    A sad day for WebOS. Sure hope HP shows some new devices at CES. I keep hoping that HP will deliver some killer tech that will attract people. So far they can't even get the Pre2 on a single US carrier! Given that debacle, can't say I blame Epocrates for not wasting money on it. It's a shame though, because WebOS on my Pre blows away my Android phone, other than the lack of big name apps like Epocrates and Skyscape.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Due to the relatively low interest level among our user base, Epocrates has decided to discontinue support of the Palm® webOS™ platform for smartphones.
    While this does suck for HPalm, Epocrates created the situation themselves by only ever releasing a non-updating beta version while the full version could still be used in Classic. With that situation, of course there was a "relatively low interest level"! If they had released a full version to WebOS, I bet the interest level would have risen to a point where it would be worth at least maintaining.

And while the full version may be better, as an EMS provider I found the beta version to be highly disappointing. The pill ID function has never been able to identify an unknown pill for me - I use the pill ID page at Drugs.com, and have had a 100% success rate there with prescription meds. Epocrates' (beta) drug listings have failed me more often than not, as well - I've gotten better results for my needs using Wikipedia. In-hospital or medical office providers may be happy with it, but for me, what I saw in the beta would not have convinced me to pay for the app if a full version was available.

I can't really say I'm surprised at this development, and my only disappointment is because of how it might hurt WebOS.
    What I am going to do: reinstate Epocrates search in Drugview. We pulled it out after Epocrates requested it on the condition that they come out with a webOS version. Now that they are officially pulling out, the deal's off.
    I hope to have the search result for Epocrates formatting enhanced like SirataXero did for drugs.mobi. The final drug view will be from Epocrates online which in itself is not bad - you only need 'net access.
    Anyway version 0.6.0 has been just submitted and hope to be in the official App Catalog once approved.
    Last edited by palmdoc2005; 12/08/2010 at 01:36 AM.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    The beginning of the end. So sad.
    Ten bucks says they will be back. Seriously, if they don't return after Palm gains a bit more marketshare then I will donate 10 bucks to homebrew.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    This truly is a huge blow to the webOS medical user base. .

I've never even used Epocrates but I feel the blow.
    A minority of minorities. I understand where Epocrates devs are coming from.

I hope HP can prevent major devs from departing if possible. WebOS needs to grow.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    A minority of minorities. I understand where Epocrates devs are coming from.
    I can understand where Epocrates is coming from too, I think most people probably can. Doesn't make it any less sad.
    got the email today, really disapointed cause i use this app alot.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast