Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    (Cross posting because I don't know whether this is more of an app or sync question.)

I just swapped to a new Verizon Palm Pre Plus. No trouble with the switch. Got it back up and running, Palm profile loaded, Preware reinstalled, etc. I'm running webOS 1.4.5.

Prior to this, my Palm Pre Plus had been doing the Media Sync perfectly. (iTunes 9.0.1.8)

After this switch, though, I can't get the Palm to show up in iTunes. I hook it up via USB, choose Media Sync, it is recognized properly by my desktop (Windows 7). In the Win7 device panel, it even shows up as an iPod. But no device ever shows up in iTunes.

Thoughts? I've tried this with Dev mode switched on and off. I've rebooted to make sure the vestiges of WebOSQuickInstall aren't running. But nothing!

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
    you have torn media syn on in the device app. It defaults to off.
  3.    #3  
    Sorry -- I don't understand what a "torn" installation means. And what would you recommend that I do as a next step to resolve?

Just to clarify, I can see the "Media Sync" option when I connect the USB cable just fine. I've re-enabled that option. The issue is that the Pre shows up on my W7 workstation, but never inside iTunes as a device.

Thanks...
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    Are you in DevMode? The only way it works for me.. .
    Edit: oops, saw that you tried that. Not sure whats up then.

Just remembered I've had to go into iTunes prefs and 'forget all synced devices' to get it to work sometimes, try that..
    Last edited by Freshyz; 12/03/2010 at 11:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by a12rodgers View Post
    Sorry -- I don't understand what a "torn" installation means. And what would you recommend that I do as a next step to resolve?

Just to clarify, I can see the "Media Sync" option when I connect the USB cable just fine. I've re-enabled that option. The issue is that the Pre shows up on my W7 workstation, but never inside iTunes as a device.

Thanks...
    Bwaaahahahaha! Pretty sure he meant "turned on".
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
  6.    #6  
    Oh... that makes sense. Yep -- already did that. Everything looks right on the Pre. And in Windows. It's just within iTunes that I don't see a device connected.
    I know that itunes got rid of the Pre/itunes sync in the series of back and forth updates to enabling/disabling that functionality between the two companies. I haven't even checked it out lately, but if you were running a version of itunes that was not updated to disable the sync, you were probably good. However, if you updated it, you wouldn't be able to sync.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Oh... that makes sense. Yep -- already did that. Everything looks right on the Pre. And in Windows. It's just within iTunes that I don't see a device connected.
    are you running a really old version of itunes?
  9.    #9  
    iTunes ver 9.0.1.8 -- that's one of the last ones that Media Sync worked with, I think.

And note that this same version was working with my old Pre Plus. It's just that after my hardware switch, it can't be seen.

One idea is that there's something about the old one that started out with older WebOS versions and was upgraded to 1.4.5, whereas the new one is just out of the box at 1.4.5.
    Does Songbird do media syncing for the Pre? If so you could switch to that program instead or just use it to test if your Pre is still able to sync. It would eliminate iTunes as the problem if it can't sync with other programs.
    have you tried windows media player and music match?
  12.    #12  
    I'm open to exploring other software. I've tried a couple others. But what I'm trying to solve right now is this iTunes problem -- extra frustrating because it was working with my old Pre. Ideas on why iTunes wouldn't see the device?
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    iTunes ver 9.0.1.8 -- that's one of the last ones that Media Sync worked with, I think.

And note that this same version was working with my old Pre Plus. It's just that after my hardware switch, it can't be seen.

One idea is that there's something about the old one that started out with older WebOS versions and was upgraded to 1.4.5, whereas the new one is just out of the box at 1.4.5.
    Just to confirm I am using 9.0.1.8 with 1.4.5 and it works (in DevMode).
    My only guess is it wants to sync your last phone so try the 'reset sync history' option under prefs > devices, restart everything and see if that works. Good luck..
    Everybody wants some!..
  14.    #14  
    Thanks. Will try that tonight.
  15.    #15  
    No dice. Tried resetting that. Still doesn't appear in iTunes. Other ideas?
  16.    #16  
    Tried it in DEV mode and out of DEV mode -- neither worked. Any ideas for getting my new Palm to show up in iTunes like my old Palm did?
    No clue, just wanted to say I had (well, have really) the same problem. I read for some people it was problems with Mytetherand usbnet. What happened for me was that I ended up syncing it as an iPod with jRiver media sync, which set the phone up like an iPod and then synced. After that I could see it in iTunes...on and off, it was a hit and miss sort of thing. Once it connected just from switching from one iTunes display view to another. This is on Windows 7 Enterprise. Sorry I can't be much more help. If you're concerned, jRiver can import your entire iTunes library and playlists so you can get the initial sync going.
    Last edited by malpha; 12/08/2010 at 02:15 PM.
    You may need to reinstall iTunes (assuming you have the old setup file). Otherwise, I recommend iTunes agent. This program is awesome because it allows you to drag all media to a playlist in iTunes that syncs with your phone. You can set up which playlist(s) sync and to which folder. Only downside is that playlists do not transfer, but with music remix flylists this is less of a problem. Another plus is that you can add music and keep your phone out of usb mode until you are ready to sync; that way you are not without phone function while adding media.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Try plugging it into a different USB port or swapping out the cable. Sometimes the cable can be an issue (though not sure why). It has been determined that the cable can cause issues with Novacom, so I wouldn't be surprised if iTunes can have trouble based on the cable (even if it is a Palm cable).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    That is a tough one.... Everyone already mentioned all the things to try. Good luck and let us know if and how you got it to work!

My Themes:CLICK HERE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast