Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    I remember playing a great game back in the old Pocket PC/Palm days. The game has since fallen by the wayside, but I think it still has great potential for today. I also have a lot of ideas on how to update it and make it fit with today's gameplay expectations.

The problem is that while I am familiar/can read basic code... I don't have the skills to re/create this game properly.

If anyone is interested in working something out, please let me know!
    While this game could probably be done with SDK, I think it would benefit greatly being programed with PDK.

**UPDATE**
    I would also be interested in porting the game to iPhone and Android.

What are the general costs involved for development of a PDK game?
    Is it a one-time fee?
    Who owns the rights to the code when completed?
    What would be the upkeep/updates cost?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Tasselhof; 12/02/2010 at 12:35 PM.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Hmm...you don't have the code for the original game nor the rights. You're not a programmer. The game apparently wasn't all that popular. You don't seem to be offering to pay the up-front costs of development of the game.

So, what you are bringing to the table is that you liked playing an old game and would like to have it ported over to a platform with less than 2% marketshare. It sounds like you might be able to get a fun game out of it but I don't see what's in it for anyone else.
    I did not say I wasn't willing to pay upfront towards the development.
    The game was tops in it's category during the day.

I would also plan on having it ported to iPhone and Android... Necessary evils for a financially successful App at this time.

I believe it could be a revenue generator and am fully interested in that goal.
    I'd suggest your best option would be to find out who owns the rights to the game. Is the original developer still in business? Have they been acquired by another company?

If you were a programmer, you could contact them and express an interest in porting it to a smartphone. As a non-programmer, the most you can really do is contact them and tell them you'd like it ported. Not much likely to happen in either case.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshLitwiller View Post
    I'd suggest your best option would be to find out who owns the rights to the game. Is the original developer still in business? Have they been acquired by another company?

If you were a programmer, you could contact them and express an interest in porting it to a smartphone. As a non-programmer, the most you can really do is contact them and tell them you'd like it ported. Not much likely to happen in either case.
    The original game developer is no longer in business/active. Their website is no longer active as well. A different company released the game for a couple years, but has been inactive on it since the early 2000's.

The basic game concept/play is not new and there are many versions of it existing and I would plan on making some heavy additions. I am not tied to keeping the original name either.

This would essentially be a quasi-clone/imitator which is done quite regularly in the business from what I have seen.