1.    #1  
    When Apple says it is going to release an update on a date, thats when the update is released, unless it is pulled back by Apple for some reason. Why is that? How come Apple doesnt have to wait for testing by AT/T. Or are these updates released directly by Apple? Anybody knows?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Simple,

Apple makes them $$$. Palm doesn't.
    Apple also has such releases specified in the agreements that allow them to sell the iPhone, from what I've read. That's why they release their updates via iTunes and AT&T really has no say in the matter.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Apple also has such releases specified in the agreements that allow them to sell the iPhone, from what I've read. That's why they release their updates via iTunes and AT&T really has no say in the matter.
    It would be cool if we could release our updates through Nutsie..
    How does one know that releases aren't delayed and simply that the date is coordinated between the two companies accounting for any delays?
    Last edited by NachoB; 12/20/2010 at 09:10 PM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Apple delivers the updates itself, that's what Microsoft also tries with WP7.
    There is no extra AT&T, T-mobile, whatever version, all have the same unbranded software on the device. Thanks Apple for that.

And that's the problem with webOS and Android, the carriers can modify this systems and "test"* them before release. As long as this doesn't change, that long we have to wait for each carrier to release the "special" version.

*test means - put their crappy add-ons on the system to bother users and try to sell additional things that NOBODY NEEDS!
    That doesn't mean that ATT isn't testing it before it gets released. Simply means ATT isn't putting extra garbage on it (probably not contractually allowed to).

And when you download a webOS update it is being delivered by HPalm's servers so where the update comes from is no indication that testing is/isn't being done either.
    Last edited by NachoB; 12/20/2010 at 09:10 PM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    And when you download a webOS update it is being delivered by HPalm's servers so where the update comes from is no indication that testing is/isn't being done either.
    But what is with the different versions? (I'm from Germany, we have only the EU version, so please apologize if I made a mistake with the versions) I've heard that Sprint has special software installed, or Verizon? Also you have the Amazon Music Store (right??).
    In Germany there is no option to buy music from the phone directly, always needs a PC. So there are different versions, maybe all of them are delivered through Palm's servers (Last 1.4.5 was Palm only ) but there are special carrier versions.
    On iOS there is no special version, you have no extra features in U.S., China, Germany, wherever...
    I would imagine the top most reason would be different networks (CDMA vs GSM). And then as you stated the different carriers want to put their own branded crap on the phones. Apple only has to worry about a single carrier for a given geographic area and those carriers are most likely not contractually allowed to incorporate their BS into the release. I confess that I really have no knowledge of how Apple handles releases with the carriers. But I would assume some form of testing has to be done prior to release.
    Last edited by NachoB; 12/20/2010 at 09:11 PM.

Palm Pre wallpapers
  10.    #10  
    I say palm should control the update process like Apple does instead of letting the carriers take care of it.
    Apple does it through iTunes.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    You guys are missing the point, just because it's released via iTunes is not an indication that the carriers didn't have their grubby lil hands in the mix prior to its release. webOS updates are released via webOS's built in Updates app, does that mean the carriers weren't involved? No.

I much prefer the OTA update method over having to connect my phone to a computer to update regardless of carrier involvement.
    Last edited by NachoB; 12/20/2010 at 09:09 PM.

Palm Pre wallpapers
    I much prefer the OTA update method over having to connect my phone to a computer to update regardless of carrier involvement.
    I didn't miss that point. I love the OTA update also. But it seems that only Apple can dictate the carriers. All other manufacturers are dictated by the carriers.
    On release date of iOS 4.2 (3 days ago) all users in the whole world got this update at nearby the same time (1-2 hours difference). And i downloaded this 550MB monster for my iPad in nearly 5 minutes during the rush-hour, thats also a point that a "small" company like Palm (o.k. now HP is a huge one!) must decide that there servers getting hammered by thousands of ppl downloaded a new release.
    I know the Apple does it or did it with Akamai as CDN, but I also think that this is not a cheap solution

Anyway, it's o.k. that the carriers can and should test new releases of a smartphone software, but they should hurry up and try to finish the tests in a timeframe that is not longer than the whole development of a minor version update needed by the manufacturer (1.4.5 AT&T, Sprint, VZW, O2) I think they all test nearly the same functions/bugs/load and so on, and it's absolutely incomprehensible that this took so long on specific carriers. I heard also that a mexican carrier is still on 1.4.1 today!

That leads me to another interesting question:
    What's with software updates, if a carrier decided to drop webOS phones? For example: What if AT&T says wi stop webOS distribution at end of this year, will you be able to get a 2.0 webOS OTA or Doctor ever on your 1.4.5 Pre Plus?
    Understandable. But how do we know that ALL carriers weren't involved in the date that iOS was finally pushed out via iTines? I mean, for all we know ATT could have delayed the release to all carriers. But since it's not released until ALL carriers accept it we're blind to the man behind the curtain.
    Last edited by NachoB; 12/20/2010 at 09:08 PM.

Palm Pre wallpapers
  15.    #15  
    Understandable. But how do we know that ALL carriers weren't involved in the date that iOS was finally pushed out via iTines? I mean, for all we know ATT could have delayed the release to all carriers. But since it's not released until ALL carriers accept it we're blind to the man behind the curtain.
    You may be very well right that the update was approved by carriers first for Apple, but when Apple says a date on that date the update is released all over the world at the same time. Can Palm do the same? Right now even 1.4.5 is not present on all the carriers (Mexico Telcel is missing it). It took almost 3-4 months after it was released in Europe for 1.4.5 to be released on Verizon.

Why do you think there is so much delay for Palm but not for Apple? Esp when Apple has more products in more countries with more carriers than Palm can dream of.
    I mostly agree withe bloatware point except for sprint nav. I think we all know that Palm did not have much negotiating power before, but hopefully that will change going forward.