1.    #1  
    This application looks like it could be promising. It looks to be using OpenStreetMap for it's data, and loads the map data pretty quickly.

From what I've been able to do with it, and what the dev stated on the site, it looks and sounds like it should be great for my uses. Not really as a turn by turn navigation application, but more of a "where am I, and how can I get somewhere" application. It looks to have points of interest, and you can do the pinch zoom, and pinch rotate on it, which is kind of cool.

I've got a few problems with it though.

1. It takes a bit to load (and stays on a black screen for a bit before it does anything)
    2. It seems to think I'm in Russia
    3. The Menus and Help just show up as blue screens for me. I can scroll through and see bits of messages, but nothing stays.

Your Pocket Map Website

Anyone else want to give this app a go, and post what you think?

Your Pocket Map Palm App Catalog site
    Last edited by pezman726; 11/24/2010 at 11:44 AM.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Same issues here. It also thinks I'm in Russia and I have some funky map tile colours going on. Looks like it has potential though!
    I downloaded it and when I launched it, it shows the loading screen and all. But when it opens, all I get are these blue squares with a red dot in the middle. I see I can pinch to zoom and use two fingers to rotate. But I see no map. The menu just gives me a blank screen with the word BETA and what looks to me an on/off switch that doesn't seem to do anything. It seems as though there are hidden buttons that also don't do anything. You guys have apparently gotten more than I did. I don't even see where it tells you where you are. I deleted it and had them send me an SMS from the link that the OP posted but I haven't received anything yet.
  4.    #4  
    noticed a few more things. When you go into card view then back into the app, you can see the menus for a split second. Ehtn you tilt your phone, the map tilts as well. And now I can't get the Russian map back. Stick with blue squares.
    Greetings, everyone

I'm a developer of YPM application. I have an update that should fix some bugs but it wasn't approved by hp/palm yet. If I provide an ipk file directly will you be able to use it? I can post here a direct download link for updated version.

Could you please send me screenshots of menu? I'll do my best to fix it.

Thank you for support my little project
  6.    #6  
    Hey gamemaster,

Welcome to the forums. I just posted a message on your site, telling you to come here...but I didn't notice that you had already showed up!

Like I said there, I'd be happy to test anything out for you, weather it's an ipk, or the source that I can compile. Here's a few screengrabs, one of the menu, and another of the maps (or lack of)

Keep up the work, and we'll try to help out however we can (or at least I will.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pezman726; 11/30/2010 at 07:57 AM.
    Hi! Thanks for reply.

I didn't know that menu have such troubles. Unfortunatelly I don't use native SDK, I have only Airplay SDK available. I'll try to ask on Airplay support forum about possible solutions.
  8.    #8  
    I've never used Airplay, only palm's PDK. I'm not sure how well Airplay works with webos. Have you tried using palm's emulator, or just airplay's?

edit: GRRR just remembered that the emulator (i don't have the 2.0 emulator) doesn't handle PDK apps. Those are just run native on the OS!
    Wow. You screenshot helps Does PDK support native ARM applications as Android emulator do? If it is I'll try it today.
  10.    #10  
    It should support native ARM applications, as the processors are ARMv6 for pixi and ARMv7 for pre Like I said, I'd be more than happy to take a look at the source, and see if it'll compile for me, and if I can make any changes to get (at least the menus) working. As for the map stuff...i've got no clue, but I'd be happy to give it a go!
    Same source code is comiled against multiple platforms - iOS, Samsung Bada, Android and etc. It works on other platforms but fails on Palm. It seems to be SDK problem.
  12.    #12  
    You might want to go over and make a new topic in the Development section of the forum as well. Maybe some other devs have experience using Airplay and have a few pointers they can give you.
  13.    #13  
    maps and menus now show with latest update!!! Haven't seen if GPS still thinks I'm in russia!
    wonder where it thinks you are if you are actually in Russia?
  15.    #15  
    Tried the GPS, it keeps turning it off, and if I click "search for location" it does absolutely nothing. so...I guess that part isn't exactly working right now. I absolutely LOVE the fact that it saves the map data locally though. I'm not connected to any network, and I can still see my local maps! :-D It would be nice if it was like google maps, and had a button on the main screen that would get you to your current location though, without going into the menu
    Update DID fix the map and menu view. But yes, Still in russia and wont go to where I actually am.
  17.    #17  
    I just noticed something....GPS is NOT available!!! If you minize to card view, then go back into the app, you'll notice the flicker at the top of the menu screen that says "version 0.1.2 GPS not available" (even though i think this is 0.1.3)

The reason it "thinks" you are in russia, is because that just happens to be where the map is centered on when it initially loads and you zoom all the way in!
    Quote Originally Posted by pezman726 View Post
    I just noticed something....GPS is NOT available!!! If you minize to card view, then go back into the app, you'll notice the flicker at the top of the menu screen that says "version 0.1.2 GPS not available" (even though i think this is 0.1.3)

The reason it "thinks" you are in russia, is because that just happens to be where the map is centered on when it initially loads and you zoom all the way in!
    You're right. I just saw that too. Once that is fixed, this could be a cool little map app.
    Hm... GPS not available means that SDK I use could not use location module.

Please provide me exact device name and OS version so I can send it to the SDK support.
  20.    #20  
    I'm on a pixi plus, webos 1.4.5