Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

Since a few days my Pre doesn't automaticly backup to my Palm profile anymore..It still says that a new backup is made daily, but the last backup date is two days ago. A manual backup still works though.
    Anybody knows how I can check this or get this working again? I cannot find any settings for backup...
    "The question of whether computers can think is like the question of whether submarines can swim..." - Edsger Dijkstra, Dutch computer scientist, 1930-2002
    mine doesn't either
    Mine either.
    Last edited by NachoB; 12/20/2010 at 09:25 PM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Mine seem to have stopped after backing up 23d of September ...

Really comforting reliability!
    The only way that I have corrected the problem is to shut the Pre off, remove the battery, count to 15, replace the battery & allow the phone to reboot.

It's not a permanent fix.
    This issue has happened sporadically since the Pre came out. What usually fixes it is to turn off backup, delete when prompted, turn back on and manually backup. The automatic backups will start again.

As an example, here is a thread from almost a year ago describing the same thing.

Here is a thread from Oct 2009...same thing. There are other threads.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Yesterday I replaced my phone. I tried to restart the backup app to get automatic backup working again. I turned it off and when I turned it back on the spinning busy disk never goes away. I even left it on the touchstone all night and let it run. This morning it was still "loading". I am in a good signal location and have tried this with both evdo and wifi with no different results.

is anyone else experiencing this?

Sprint Pre
    Webos 1.4.5
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    It hasn't been working here for over a week. I've been manually backing it up every couple of days...

no big deal, right? back-ups aren't important, are they? ;-/
    I had the same situation, replacement phone, and spinning gray wheel all night long. Called palm and spent an hour with them and the only fix I found was a partial erase and then had to log into my profile like it was a new handset again. Before I did this I asked the palm rep like 3 times to be sure that there was a backed up file for my info on the server (had this happen before and the infoon there server had been erased when I shut off the backup app and it erased the backup file) the rep said the file was there. Did the partial erase and restored using save/ restore. Having a little bit of troublegetting all mypatches back and had to manually setup my emails and calendar but the back up app works again. Good luck (oh,I used palm chat at there website)
    Global Posts
    887 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorDr View Post
    Yesterday I replaced my phone. I tried to restart the backup app to get automatic backup working again. I turned it off and when I turned it back on the spinning busy disk never goes away. I even left it on the touchstone all night and let it run. This morning it was still "loading". I am in a good signal location and have tried this with both evdo and wifi with no different results.

Sprint Pre
    Webos 1.4.5

This...me too!

Not sure what the solution is. Wiping/Doctoring the device simply is not an option, since there's no backup!
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Well, I think I screwed up bigtime. In an attempt to fix the (non) auto-back-up, I turned off Backup, (which deletes the current backup) then turned it back on right away.

But it won't actually backup. the wheel spins, but never finishes.

I've tried 4 or 5 times. (swiping the card away, and trying again), but it won't backup!

...and wouldn't you know it's time for Pre number 5, ...another (3rd) bad speaker...
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    This issue has happened sporadically since the Pre came out. What usually fixes it is to turn off backup, delete when prompted, turn back on and manually backup. The automatic backups will start again.

As an example, here is a thread from almost a year ago describing the same thing.

Here is a thread from Oct 2009...same thing. There are other threads.
    I wouldn't suggest that to anyone anymore... it doesn't work. and you are left without ANY backup. ;-(
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    This trouble-shooting usually fix the backup issue. Resign back into your profile.(i.e. Partial erase(Apps&Data).
    Well, I think that's a bad idea, as there is not a current backup saved, it was deleted when I turned backup off. So there is no backup to restore the apps and data from. ;-(
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    Well, I think that's a bad idea, as there is not a current backup saved, it was deleted when I turned backup off. So there is no backup to restore the apps and data from. ;-(
    Send a PM to HardBeatz. I believe he's mentioned before that Palm stores multiple backups. He can possibly help you out.
    I made the mistake of turning off. Now it won't turn on like the previois posters
    Quote Originally Posted by MotorDr View Post

Sprint Pre
    Webos 1.4.5
    Yes, as far as I know everyone with a Pre is experiencing this. This app does not work anymore, and hasn't for about 2 months. It may still backup occasionally if it is left on, but once it's turned off it will not turn back on again.
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    All palm applications will be restored once you do a Doctor, or any Erased. Since you say that your backup isn't working, there is that possibility that all your data may be erased as well.

I'm sure you'll get back all your
    contacts, and palm official applications.

Then once you sign back into your palm profile... go straight to the backup application - and manually press backup.

Ps. You should always check backup daily to make sure it's working.
    No, if you are in a situation where your backup is off and won't turn on (this is for everyone that has this turned off), you will NOT get your contacts back. It wipes everything on your palm profile when it is turned off.

You can't "manually press backup" because the app won't turn on. This has actually been broken for almost 2 months now.
    My backup is working just fine. I just checked it and it last backed up 12/4 3:24PM

I'm with AT&T, Palm Pre +, webOS 1.4.5
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Backup is working fine for me, too. It missed on 12/3, but has backed up at 1:55 am yesterday and today.

In case it matters, I had doctored my Sprint Pre last week to clean up a couple of issues, but Backup had been working before the doctor, as well.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riona View Post
    My backup is working just fine. I just checked it and it last backed up 12/4 3:24PM

I'm with AT&T, Palm Pre +, webOS 1.4.5
    Well, it's nice it's working for some. Whatever you do, don't turn it off, because there is a good chance it won't turn back on. (and it will delete your current backup.)

My auto backup had stopped working, and I had read a suggestion that if I turned it off, and then back on, the issue would be resolved and the daily backups would work again.

Sadly, that was not the case. Turning backup off, deletes the backup, and turning it back on results in the endless spinning wheel of doom.... :-)

sigh. I guess one of these days I'll have to find the time to erase and re-build, ....again.

:-(
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast