Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post

My auto backup had stopped working, and I had read a suggestion that if I turned it off, and then back on, the issue would be resolved and the daily backups would work again.

Sadly, that was not the case. Turning backup off, deletes the backup, and turning it back on results in the endless spinning wheel of doom.... :-)
    Turning backup off and then back on usually fixed the problem when the issue first showed up.

Have you contacted Palm to see if they can do anything? You could also send a PM to HardBeatz who is a Palm support rep, he may be able to help you out.
    Maybe a dumb question but: how do I verify if the automatic back up is working (or not), and where is the manual backup option? Thanks.

Pre Plus Verizon
    Open up your phone and type "backup"

Press the button that says "Back up now"
    when you open the backup app, it wil show the date/time of the last backup. If it is more than about 24-30 hours, then it isn't doing it automatically. If that's the case, hit the button at the bottom to force a manual backup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Yes, as far as I know everyone with a Pre is experiencing this. This app does not work anymore, and hasn't for about 2 months. It may still backup occasionally if it is left on, but once it's turned off it will not turn back on again.
    for those following this thread, this post is wrong. There are certainly people who have had backup issues. However it works for most, and it is incorrect to say the service hasn't worked for anyone over the last two months...

just sayin
    Mine backed up automatically a few hours ago.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Update to my earlier post in this thread:

After my initial problem with turning the backup app back on, I kept trying periodically to see if it might actually start working again.

A couple of days later it was actually able to reconnect and start working properly again.

Since that time it claims it has backed up everyday, as intended.

I did not doctor, partial erase or anything except trying to turn it back on.

Perhaps it is some sort of error on Palms end or some problem with the phones handshaking with their servers or something.

Best of luck to those still having trouble.

-MotorDr-
    I'd like to know how many people turned off automatic backup and can't turn it back on. Please post if that has happened to you, and also what carrier you have.

It just happened to me. I am on VZW

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I'd like to know how many people turned off automatic backup and can't turn it back on. Please post if that has happened to you, and also what carrier you have.

It just happened to me. I am on VZW

Thanks!
    me, for one. has not worked for a couple of weeks, now. Sprint
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    me, for one. has not worked for a couple of weeks, now. Sprint
    do you have it turned on, or did you turn it off and not beable to turn it back on?

if you haven't turned it of, DON'T. It seems to be unable to turn back on.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    do you have it turned on, or did you turn it off and not beable to turn it back on?

if you haven't turned it of, DON'T. It seems to be unable to turn back on.
    It hadn't been backing up, so I tried a suggestion to turn it off and then back on.... sigh - bad idea.
    ok, who else can post the following info?

1. Is your automatic backup working? yes/no
    2. If not, did you turn it off? yes/no
    3. If you turned it off, are you able to turn it back on?
    4. What carrier are you on?

I will compile some statistics and see if I can send them all to someone in support so they can look for a pattern for why this only happens to some users. It will be interesting to see if it is happening to anyone other than sprint or vzw users. (wouldn't it be weird if it was specific to CDMA or a particular country? LOL).

It will be especially interesting to see if there is a direct correlation between the automatic backups stopping and not being able to turn it back on, or if they are two different root problems. My bet is they are two sides of the same coin, and that it is something preventing a secure handshake so the app can talk to the system that manages profiles. That could be between the phone and the backup server, or between the backup server and a server with broader profile services that are fed from dedicated servers that run in their own server space.

Anyone from outside the US having this issue?
    that's bad. When you turn off that button it deletes the backup at palm. Hopefully you don't have anything important in your palm profile.

did you send a PM th HardbeatZ? He can direct you to get palm to fix it.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    ok, who else can post the following info?

4. What carrier are you on?

I will compile some statistics and see if I can send them all to someone in support so they can look for a pattern for why this only happens to some users. It will be interesting to see if it is happening to anyone other than sprint or vzw users. (wouldn't it be weird if it was specific to CDMA or a particular country? LOL).

It will be especially interesting to see if there is a direct correlation between the automatic backups stopping and not being able to turn it back on, or if they are two different root problems. My bet is they are two sides of the same coin, and that it is something preventing a secure handshake so the app can talk to the system that manages profiles. That could be between the phone and the backup server, or between the backup server and a server with broader profile services that are fed from dedicated servers that run in their own server space.

Anyone from outside the US having this issue?
    1. it wasn't for a while but is now.
    2. when it wasn't, yes
    3. yes, after a couple days of trying
    4. sprint, pre-minus
    I have Verizon as carrier. My backup app has not run automatically for quite a while. I manually back it up when I think of it. I have never shut off the app and tried to turn it back on. From the responses, that sounds like a bad idea.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=Cantaffordit;2787233]ok, who else can post the following info?

4. What carrier are you on?[QUOTE]

no this has never worked for me...

i turned it off the day after activating the phone, before i had any contacts in the phone...

but then again i don't want anything backed up into Palm's cloud if i can't access it via my laptop...

I'm on AT&T... also thought i read backup works over the cell's data plan.. which i don't have anyway...
    Palm IV > Palm Treo 600 > Palm Centro > Palm Pre Plus > Nokia Lumia 920
    Manual back ups work fine.

Automatic back ups dont work.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    New wrinkle today. I still do not have automatic backups but today when I launched it - there was no date listed for last backup. In fact the phrase "last backup" was not shown.

Restarted the app and it appears normal.

I was surprised that online profile does not show the date for the last backup anywhere - or am I missing something?
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Just got a replacement (Sprint Pre) and backup is not working. Manually works fine, but auto backup does not. Am not going to turn it off. Any solution for this?
    Took battery out for a minute or so, we'll see if it works (and keeps working) tomorrow i guess.
    I'd suggest that you send a PM to Hardbeatz so he can assist or point you to the right resources at Palm. The automatic backup on my Pre+ stopped running, so I was just running it manually. It works fine with my Pre2, but whenever I go back to my Pre+ it isn't working.

I noticed that when I created new profiles for testing on 1.4.5 that it works, so there has to be something in my production profile that it doesn't like. But until it's working automatically, I'd make sure that Palm has an open ticket and is collecting phone logs from you...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast