Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Galactic Beacon: Volume 2

1 100.00%
  • Quiz Game

0 0%
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I posted a comment on today's "New Apps" article with this same info, but I wanted to let everyone know I'm offering a free trial version of my app.

GalacticBeacon Vol. 1 - Trial. It is in the catalog under books:science fiction. It's also under the fantasy and fiction sections.

My app IS a dedicated eReader, but it is NOT appBookshop or the like. I wrote the app code, stories, and essays and drew the comics. I don't promise you'll like them, but I do promise that they are original, and I worked hard to make them. The trial version means you can try them for free and see if you like them or not.

Galactic Beacon has original science fiction stories, a couple of essays (hopefully you'll find them humorous) and some comics.

The trial version has everything the pay version has EXCEPT the fiction isn't complete. The stories each stop at a point I hope is interesting enough that you will follow the link and buy the full version. The essays and comics are complete.

My personal favorite is the story "Sarah". The theme of the volume is "One Way Trips To Mars".

I'm not including ads in either the trial nor the pay version.

If you try it and like it, please leave a review in the catalog.

I'm also working on a version for Windows Phone 7 that is just about ready to submit.
    Original science fiction, fantasy and comics for WebOS - Galactic Beacon: Volume 1
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Thanks to Daniel K for his honest review in the catalog.

One note: the cost for the pay version is $3, not $6.

I don't know if he will see this, but it won't let me review my own app in the catalog, and I wanted to thank him.

His comment in a nutshell was that he liked the app and format, but wasn't crazy about the content. That's why I made the free version. I don't want anyone buying the app and then feeling disappointed.

I don't want to do a complete brain dump here, but I've been debating what to do with this app. My original goal was to put the first volume out with my stories, then if I had enough sales I would pay other people to write for future volumes. My vision was to try to get to the point of publishing it like a magazine for various phones. I have a version for Windows Phone 7 just about complete and plans for an Android version.

Unfortunately my time is limited since I do this as a hobby, so my dilemma is whether to pursue this app/publication as planned, or move on to plan B which is a quiz game app. That app will come with a website that lets you make your own quizzes and share them.

Any thoughts?
    Original science fiction, fantasy and comics for WebOS - Galactic Beacon: Volume 1
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I'm leaning in that direction. It will of course take longer, but I hope it will be enjoyable to more people.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Downloaded the trial and reviewed. It's a good concept and some of the comics were really clever.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Thanks! I really appreciate that.

My comics are hit or miss. I'm new to doing them. I think some are funny and some are throw-aways, but you don't get better if you don't keep trying. The fact that they are ALL included in the free version means I don't feel too guilty if some of them suck...

I like the concept too. If I were generating enough revenues to pay writers, I'd love to turn it into a monthly magazine. So far I haven't generated enough funds to buy one story, I'm afraid. Since Palm publishes feeds with all the sales stats, I'm not hesitant to talk numbers here. As of this moment I have 327 downloads on the trial app (which is free), 37 on the pay app and 6 on the prior web-version (same price). FYI: all the sales came before I put out the trial version. I'm charging $3 and getting ~ $2 each. That means I've made about $86. I'm not sure what threshold I have to pass before HP/Palm actually pays me yet... Thank God I didn't quit my day job!

I have a version for Windows Phone 7 that is in review with Microsoft as well. Oh, and a Kindle version which has sold.... 1 copy. We can all be proud that publishing on Palm was better than Kindle!

Oh, and the $2.99 price is based on the minimum you can charge on Kindle and qualify to get 70%. I made the Palm version the same price so no one would feel stiffed. I made the WP7 version the same price.

One question for anyone who got the free version and balked at the price for the pay version: what price (if any) WOULD you be willing to pay? If the Kindle version is the non-starter it seems to be, then I may not stay at that price. I'd like to give the WP7 version a chance at that price before I start having fire sales or anything. I don't know how sales will be on that platform.

The other option is to include ads. I personally HATE ads in apps, so I have resisted that urge. I'd rather pay for an app without ads than get free app with ads, but I may be alone in that sentiment. I consider the screen real-estate to be too valuable to eat up any of it with ads.

When I started this project, I didn't realize the stigma attached to dedicated eReaders... There are so many companies that just dump Wikipedia articles or Project Gutenberg books into their readers and flood the market, that people assume that's what everyone is doing.

Just feeling my way through here trying to see what works and what doesn't. Since I'm not depending on this for my living (again, THANK GOD), I'm willing to experiment.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffa00 View Post
    Thanks! I really appreciate that.

My comics are hit or miss. I'm new to doing them. I think some are funny and some are throw-aways, but you don't get better if you don't keep trying. The fact that they are ALL included in the free version means I don't feel too guilty if some of them suck...

I like the concept too. If I were generating enough revenues to pay writers, I'd love to turn it into a monthly magazine. So far I haven't generated enough funds to buy one story, I'm afraid. Since Palm publishes feeds with all the sales stats, I'm not hesitant to talk numbers here. As of this moment I have 327 downloads on the trial app (which is free), 37 on the pay app and 6 on the prior web-version (same price). FYI: all the sales came before I put out the trial version. I'm charging $3 and getting ~ $2 each. That means I've made about $86. I'm not sure what threshold I have to pass before HP/Palm actually pays me yet... Thank God I didn't quit my day job!

I have a version for Windows Phone 7 that is in review with Microsoft as well. Oh, and a Kindle version which has sold.... 1 copy. We can all be proud that publishing on Palm was better than Kindle!

Oh, and the $2.99 price is based on the minimum you can charge on Kindle and qualify to get 70%. I made the Palm version the same price so no one would feel stiffed. I made the WP7 version the same price.

One question for anyone who got the free version and balked at the price for the pay version: what price (if any) WOULD you be willing to pay? If the Kindle version is the non-starter it seems to be, then I may not stay at that price. I'd like to give the WP7 version a chance at that price before I start having fire sales or anything. I don't know how sales will be on that platform.

The other option is to include ads. I personally HATE ads in apps, so I have resisted that urge. I'd rather pay for an app without ads than get free app with ads, but I may be alone in that sentiment. I consider the screen real-estate to be too valuable to eat up any of it with ads.

When I started this project, I didn't realize the stigma attached to dedicated eReaders... There are so many companies that just dump Wikipedia articles or Project Gutenberg books into their readers and flood the market, that people assume that's what everyone is doing.

Just feeling my way through here trying to see what works and what doesn't. Since I'm not depending on this for my living (again, THANK GOD), I'm willing to experiment.
    personally, I'd stay away from calling it an ereader. Stick with calling it a magazine. I'd expect to pay .99 an issue for something like that.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I agree. If I had thought I could produce enough content to make a monthly schedule, I would have called it a magazine from the get-go.

The WP7 version went live tonight, and like I said, I'd like to try out the 2.99 price point there before I start slashing prices. I suspect you are right that it would go over better at the .99 point. I'll give it a couple weeks to see how it goes. Maybe I'll try a sale.

I'd love to figure out how to make the finance side work if I pay other writers. I suspect I could get good quality stories for about $100 each. I have 4 short stories in this issue, and if I had paid someone else I'd be in the hole over $300. If I can get some traction on WP7 and maybe Android, then maybe I can make it work. Now that I have the reader engine, making a new issue TECHNICALLY is simple. Generating (or buying) the content is the trick...
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Thanks to Robert D for the review in the catalog. I'm glad you enjoyed some of the comics.

To Henry G all I can say is I am very happy that you believe in God. I apologize profusely that my use of "science" in my science fiction and essays has offended you. I might recommend that you try the stories "The Duel" or "Raven 2.0" in the app since they are fantasy and contains no science of which I am aware.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robnhl View Post
    personally, I'd stay away from calling it an ereader. Stick with calling it a magazine. I'd expect to pay .99 an issue for something like that.
    I just submitted a request to HP Palm to drop my price to .99. Since the Kindle version has sold exactly ONE copy, I'm not going to worry about what that ONE guy thinks of a price drop on other devices...

I'm calling it a sale, but if it goes well I may leave the price there.

I've never changed the price before, so I don't know how long it will be before it actually shows up in the catalog.