1.    #1  
    Skype's Official App for WebOS 2.0 initial impressions

First look at Skype for webOS

**EDIT**
    Appears to be Verizon Only at the moment. It was that way on Android as well but eventually made it to all devices.
    Last edited by mikevember; 11/11/2010 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Verizon Only
    i thought it said swype... lol

but interesting
    Verizon OS 2.0 Doctor can't come soon enough...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    The app is designed to let users make free Skype to Skype calls over WiFi or 3G, and make inexpensive calls to international phone numbers from anywhere. If you try to use Skype to make a domestic phone call, it will automatically be routed over the phone network and your normal minutes will apply.

Worthless other than international calls....
    This is really awesome!!! This is the one must have app that WebOS was missing. Now, we need phones HP Palm! Are you reading this? We need new phones ASAP to all US carriers and you can take my money any day.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    The app is designed to let users make free Skype to Skype calls over WiFi or 3G, and make inexpensive calls to international phone numbers from anywhere. If you try to use Skype to make a domestic phone call, it will automatically be routed over the phone network and your normal minutes will apply.

Just give the WebOS Internals team 30 minutes to hack that.

Im sure its just going to be as easy as disabling some code that says "If call domestic>then route through regular phone"
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Just give the WebOS Internals team 30 minutes to hack that.

Im sure its just going to be as easy as disabling some code that says "If call domestic>then route through regular phone"
    I'm willing to bet its a PDK hybrid app which internals team might not touch it due to legal issues... Plus I would bet P|C wouldn't allow it on the site just like they have removed any file related to mobile hot spot but we can talk about it.

Although I'm sure they could fix it up its whether they will or not for legal reasons.
    It's been previewed on a Verizon Pre 2... grrr
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    I'm willing to bet its a PDK hybrid app which internals team might not touch it due to legal issues... Plus I would bet P|C wouldn't allow it on the site just like they have removed any file related to mobile hot spot but we can talk about it.

Although I'm sure they could fix it up its whether they will or not for legal reasons.
    Its not PDK hybrid because its built right into WebOS and the Phone app.

Its not a separate app, its integrated right into WebOS.

but I dunno what that means for hacking it, if its easier or harder.

And I dont care about the legalities it will happen regardless.

I am running Mobile Hotspot on my Bell Pre just fine as we speak.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts

Webos Internals cares about the legalities and will not touch it if they are not allowed to legally or if they are asked not to by palm or Verizon.

How is it built into webos? You have access to the app already to know if it is built as a pure javascript/css/html (SDK)app. And since there are no more java services in webos 2.0 meaning it is likely a hybrid pdk app than a standard sdk app like the mobile hot spot.

Also a super good chance the mobile hot spot will have a rewrite for webos 2.0 and be hybrid as well to keep people like me and you from using it.

IDK IJS
    as long as I can call skype users in the US, I'm down with it

I have a feeling it'll be simliar to Greg Roll's messaging plugins, it act as a plug-in to the phone app (note the Add Account button)

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...-your-pre.html
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts

You can make domestic calls to other Skype users.
    Quote Originally Posted by reidme View Post
    You can make domestic calls to other Skype users.
    No, skype to skype calls are over wifi or 3g. Skype to domestic phone number would be on your minutes.
    WOG Dev - WebOS Group http://www.WebOSGroup.com
    PMP Dev - http://www.PimpMyPre.com
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpmypre View Post
    No, skype to skype calls are over wifi or 3g. Skype to domestic phone number would be on your minutes.
    unless you get unlimited USA & Canada subcription for $ 2.99/mo.