Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    My bought-on-release-day copy of Classic just informed me that it is a trial version and will expire in 2 days. If I look in Classic's menu, there is a 'Buy Classic Now' option.

Anyone else seeing this on their copy? I'm still on my release day Sprint Pre, and haven't had anything happen to suggest system problems.
    Palm IIIx-->Palm Vx-->Kyocera 6035-->Kyocera 7135-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p-->Pre
    wow,is classic suppose to stop working when 2.0 hits? Maybe it has something to do with 2.0 coming very shortly.
    Classic is no longer supported by MotionApps and has handed the Classic code over to Palm.

From MotionApps Classic blog....
    We are sad to announce that Palm has removed Classic’s ROM from the new webOS 2.0 device ROM which will result in Classic not working if utilized with Palm’s new webOS 2.0.
    This is contrary to our agreement with Palm and was done without our approval or consent.

Based on this action, MotionApps will immediately stop selling Classic. However, as a courtesy to our clients, we will continue to support existing Classic customers on webOS 1.x for the immediate future.
    http://forums.precentral.net/general...miss-poll.html
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    Classic is no longer supported by MotionApps and has handed the Classic code over to Palm
    Thanks, I know. But that shouldn't mean that already-purchased copies of Classic get changed to trial versions. I wanted to see if any other Classic users are affected, as that would suggest they have some sort of activation server that has been turned off.
    Quote Originally Posted by bitmage View Post
    Thanks, I know. But that shouldn't mean that already-purchased copies of Classic get changed to trial versions. I wanted to see if any other Classic users are affected, as that would suggest they have some sort of activation server that has been turned off.
    My version is working as usual.

any chance you are working from anew pre? Because that would explain it, you have to email classic and let them know you have a new one.

even if you don't have a new pre, it is likely worth sending them a note for help

http://www.motionapps.com/classic/support/open.php
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Good to hear that it's just me. I've contacted their support, but at the moment they don't know why it's happening. I'll update if I get a resolution.
    Mines working OK too.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    That was fun. Things tried:

Rebooting.
    Connecting via wifi.
    Connecting via cell network.
    Connecting on a different wifi.
    Uninstalling and reinstalling Classic (it's still in the app catalog)
    Hard resetting the Classic emulator (MA suggested this)

None of the above had any effect. Classic would keep telling me that my trial would expire in two days, then went to saying it would expire tomorrow. (tick...tick...tick...)

I ran a network sniffer and watched the traffic from my Pre when I launched Classic. It connects to a MotionApps server using http, so I could see the exchange. It sends the serial number of the Pre along with some other data. The MotionApps server was replying that my license was valid, but for some reason Classic didn't believe it.

MotionApps also asked if I had installed any app or update in the last 7 days on my Pre, and suggested I remove them if so. I had applied some app updates over the last week, but I wasn't certain as to which ones and there's no way to remove an update anyway.

Digging around in the filesystem, I'd found /var/lib/palmos/.preferences which had a licenseType=FreeTrial entry. I tried deleting that file, but Classic just recreated it with the same setting on restart.

Things were looking bad for our heroes, but last night Classic suddenly decided it was a valid licensed copy again. I asked MA if they had changed anything on their end, they said no and blamed it on "probably some Gremlins".

So I'm glad to have Classic back. OTOH, this has brought home how fragile a situation I am in depending on Classic for apps. I'm also concerned that Classic appears to 'phone home' every time you launch it for license validation. Since MA is no longer selling Classic, I wonder how long that licensing server will be around.
  9. JKM
    I recently contacted MotionApps, asking if they will continue support for Classic and this is what they answered:

"The licensing server will not be shut down and we will continue support for existing license holders
    running Classic on webOS 1.x and we will also continue transferring licenses after device replacement.
    However, we will not sell any more licenses of Classic."

So it seems that we can continue using Classic as long as we use WebOS 1.x (and a Pre/ Pre Plus).
    Classic is still working fine for me. Where is that thread about how to prevent WebOS auto update? That's just in case I don't want to go from 1.4.5 to 2.0.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorzeph View Post
    Classic is still working fine for me. Where is that thread about how to prevent WebOS auto update? That's just in case I don't want to go from 1.4.5 to 2.0.

Thanks.
    how-block-update-2-0

Regards,
    Tom
    I have downloaded the free classic by MotionApp a week ago and it worked.
    Suddenly I get a blue screen saying that my trial period is over and that I have to buy classic.
    Since classic is free I tried to reinstall it several times but the blue screen keeps appearing immediately after install is complete.
    I need help!!
    How to get rid of this blue screen
    or where to get a clean classic ipk file with out this awkward trial version notice!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jlewinso View Post
    I have downloaded the free classic by MotionApp a week ago and it worked.
    Suddenly I get a blue screen saying that my trial period is over and that I have to buy classic.
    Since classic is free I tried to reinstall it several times but the blue screen keeps appearing immediately after install is complete.
    I need help!!
    How to get rid of this blue screen
    or where to get a clean classic ipk file with out this awkward trial version notice!!!
    Classic is not free, and never was. The trial version is free, and works for a week as you now know. The full version is no longer available, as you can learn in Post #3 above.

Regards,
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
    Classic is not free, and never was. The trial version is free, and works for a week as you now know. The full version is no longer available, as you can learn in Post #3 above.

Regards,
    Tom
    Classic is now free from the App. Cat.
    Do you mean that what they offer now is the trial version without saying it clearly?
    If so, where can I get the full version which supposed to be free now??
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jlewinso View Post
    Classic is now free from the App. Cat.
    Do you mean that what they offer now is the trial version without saying it clearly?
    If so, where can I get the full version which supposed to be free now??
    If you read the app description carefully, it says the app is a 7 day trial. It isn't free and I'm not sure where you're getting that idea from.
    First of all, hi everyone!

I’ve got an unlocked Pre (not Pre2!) from Europe and am sitting in Africa.
    If I go on the Apps Catalog on the Pre, I find the App: Classic, but it does not want to start and says: you must select the Option: “Buy now”
    But if I select that from the Menu, it takes me to MotionApps and from there to a site at Palm where it says: “Invalid Link”

Could someone advice me where and how I could get “Classic” to run on my new Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by PreZulu View Post
    First of all, hi everyone!

I’ve got an unlocked Pre (not Pre2!) from Europe and am sitting in Africa.
    If I go on the Apps Catalog on the Pre, I find the App: Classic, but it does not want to start and says: you must select the Option: “Buy now”
    But if I select that from the Menu, it takes me to MotionApps and from there to a site at Palm where it says: “Invalid Link”

Could someone advice me where and how I could get “Classic” to run on my new Pre?
    Are you asking that in spite of what you've read in this thread (i.e looking for a clandestine way to get Classic), or are you unaware that Classic is no longer available? Can't help you with the former, but if you read this thread I think you can come up to speed on the latter.

Regards,
    Tom
    Thanks, Tom!

Yes, I understand all of that and I am aware of that!

But look at this Page of HP/Palm : developer(point)palm(point)com/webChannel/index(point)php?packageid=com(point)motionapps(point)app(point)classicw# (I wrote out the Points: "." because I am not allowed to put in links yet!) just put the "http : forwardslash forwardslash" in front of that link.

On this Page, HP/Palm is offering "Classic" to all(?) the Pre-Users - NO! And this is my point it is only offered to Customers in those 8 Countrys listed there!

Now my 1. Question: Is it not possible somehow for me to get it here in Africa? I need it badly!

2. Question: Is there someone out there that has previously bought a full Classic licence, doesn't want it anymore and is prepared to ask MotionApps to transfer their licenced copy from their phone to my Pre's serial number

One of the Reasons, that I got a Pre was, what I read in this Forum here: That you folks got it right to even let "Classic" run on the Pre2! But that is obviously only for those that had purchased it previously!

Thanks, Regards S'bu

(I have still got Hope against all Hope!)
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Do people have difficulty reading?

From the site mentioned earlier: https://developer.palm.com/webChanne...s.app.classicw

Classic Emulator
    Classic is Palm OS emulator for Pre/Pixi. It complements webOS with all those thousands of Palm OS applications you can't do without. With Classic 2.0 you get the full HotSync compatibility and a pack of free and trial Palm OS apps and games to start with. Keep using your favorite Palm OS apps that have been developed over the years and even run them two times faster with Classic on your new powerful Pre/Pixi. With Classic you can protect the investment you made in Palm OS professional applications and significantly reduce the cost of adopting new hardware. Is there a mission critical app that isn't available for webOS, but you need it to get your every day job done? With Classic you don't need to wait for that app - you can keep using all those fantastic medical, business, legal, productivity, reference and entertainment apps you've grown to love over the years. Or even discover new apps from the catalog of more than 30,000 software titles developed for Centro and Treo phones. Classic 2.0 features the full HotSync support, networking, sound, virtual SD card and rich graphics. Classic brings the ultimate gaming and entertainment experience to a new level by enabling famous Palm OS titles to run on webOS. *This is a 7-days trial application available for purchase now. **Application is available in English

Note this also states that it requires webOS 1.3.1 - this is old data and hasn't been cleaned up. There is no functional non-trial version of Classic available - I wish there was - I'd buy it. HP seems to have no interest in providing it to us - although that would be a great "making it right" gesture.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast