1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    More detail at:

Windows Phone 7 to rival iPad for developer attention in 2011

Also commented upon in other places:

Itís also worth noting that Palm made out the worst when it came to developer interest for next year. 4 percent of developers said they would pursue Palmís webOS platform ó even the embattled Symbian platform scored higher with 6 percent.
    App developers say their top new platforms for 2011 will be Android, Windows Phone 7, and iPad | VentureBeat

How can HP move WebOS from bottom of the pile?
    Paying the top devs $... Like MS
    whoever can't see a future in WebOS i think is an *****.... Yes this is a baby of an OS and yes we are waiting for more c/c++ APPS(not games) and a few API's (mic and camera(autofocus camera would be nice)) But the fact of the matter is... the Reward is MUCH greater then the risk. So time spent on WebOS i believe is a calculated risk, but a very good risk. We'll see in Jan when people are going nuts over CES!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    whoever can't see a future in WebOS i think is an *****.... Yes this is a baby of an OS and yes we are waiting for more c/c++ APPS(not games) and a few API's (mic and camera(autofocus camera would be nice)) But the fact of the matter is... the Reward is MUCH greater then the risk. So time spent on WebOS i believe is a calculated risk, but a very good risk. We'll see in Jan when people are going nuts over CES!!!
    What apps need c/c++ over javascript? I can see games using it since they need more speed, but for apps javascript is good enough and has a much lower development cost. For security concerns, hybrid apps will allow some parts to be in c/c++, but I think javascript would still be preferred.
    This is one of the reasons I've just 'jumped ship' to Android. I have been a 'loyal' Palm user since the days of Handspring Visors, but the lack of apps that I need has convinced me to switch. The lack of backward compatibility of WebOS meant that I became a WebOS user rather than a PalmOS user a while ago anyway.

Enjoy WebOS and the HP/Palm platform. It's a great OS and platform and is plenty for most all users.
    --
    Visor Deluxe > Visor Platinum > Visor Pro > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Palm Pre > EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    What apps need c/c++ over javascript? I can see games using it since they need more speed, but for apps javascript is good enough and has a much lower development cost. For security concerns, hybrid apps will allow some parts to be in c/c++, but I think javascript would still be preferred.
    There is a lot of classist developers out there that think that html/css/jsjsjs $isn$'$t$ $serious$ $for$ $developing$.

I.e., they prefer to use c/ c++ languages to consume server data and show it in lists, although it means much more work and in much cases wost performance than using web technologies. Also, most of them have no idea about web development, and don't want to learn.

That's the reason because there is a lot of other platforms devs that don't want to develop for webOS.

If Palm had sold 40 millions of devices, they would have been forced to learn web technologies, but that hasn't happened. While this doesn't change, you'll not see a lot of software companies in the Catalog that are a reality in other Markets.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Newness Developments apps:

What is so hard for a developer to make an app for web-os if they have already written it for other platforms. It would seem that the hard work has been done?
    Quote Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
    What is so hard for a developer to make an app for web-os if they have already written it for other platforms. It would seem that the hard work has been done?
    With hybrid apps, it will be as easy as any other platform: user interface rewritting and fit the code into it.
    Newness Developments apps: