Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Even the most optimistic among us would agree that WebOS, at minimum, has a tough mountain to climb before WebOS has a comparable market share to iOS or Android.

Since the number of prospective buyers for apps isn't going to be close anytime soon, HP/Palm need to get creative with ways to entice developers.

The SDK & PDK along with Palm's marketing of how "easy" it is to port apps (especially games) to WebOS is a good start. Even better was the HottApps competition. So ti would like to hear suggestions of other creative ways HP can do this. Keep in mind, while HP has "tons of money" to spend, they are a business and can't just throw money away, it has to entail profitability at some point. Here is what I came up with so far:

1. Pre-purchase apps in bulk: "Hey CBSSports.com, you develop the app, we (HP) will pay up front for 50,000. The $ from the first 50,000 purchases goes back to us, everything after that goes directly to you." (the 50,000 number is based on 5 seconds of thought and would likely need some tweaking).

pros: Developer has immediate gains from their work, HP has potential to get paid back on all or at least a portion of the investment.
    cons: only realistic for apps that have already proven to be successful on other platforms.

2. New phones (and old phones) should come with gift cards to the app store. People seem to buy most of their apps when they first start playing with their phone, so that is the time to capitalize. If new buyers get say, $15? in credit at the app store, they will all spend just about every penny.
    pros: since it is limited to new customers buying , HP (hopefully) is still profiting on each purchase.
    cons: $15 less profit (although i assume they are getting a percentage of the app catalog profits anyway so its probably much less than $15 they are actually spending....)

Anyway, let me know what you think, and if you have other ideas (and please don't bother posting negative messages like "waste of time")
    You have some good points there, even worth passing on to the appropriate powers that be, ie HP. Good brainstorm
    if you build it (phones), they will come.

if you pay them (devs), they will come.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    if you build it (phones), they will come.

if you pay them (devs), they will come.
    Agreed. That gets back to the whole chicken/egg thing. More customers are needed for more apps, more apps for more customers. I was looking at creative ways to build the app catalog in advance. I think the numbers game matters, but WebOS isn't catching up to iOS or Android in number of apps any time soon.

However, there are only a limited number of apps that are "important" to a significant amount of people and those can be targeted.
    If they release better phones lets say with also autofocus in camera... and release Mic/Camera API's.... and make it easier to make APPLICATIONS(NOT GAMES) in C/C++ then yes... dev's will come.. Plus all HP needs is a few commercials of JayZ and other starts sporting WebOS and it will become popular quick
    @MDsmartphone lol
    I think developers need to think outside the box. Forget porting popular apps from other platforms. Make new apps that use unique features of webos. Say a car information app that tracks fuel, mileage ,repairs, etc. But instead of one card with a bunch of tabs or buttons to switch between then all. Open a stack with 4+ cards with each category on a card. I mean the pre+ can open 50 cards easy with games open probably like 70 without games open. So a lot of cards is not an issue.

we need to start reinventing the wheel and make people be like oh **** when they see webos apps
    hp, at this point, is big enough to have their developer relations team working with some of the big name companies such as netflix, cable companies etc to make apps for webOS. I don't see why this would take long, if it hasn't started already...
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    Even the most optimistic among us would agree that WebOS, at minimum, has a tough mountain to climb before WebOS has a comparable market share to iOS or Android.

Since the number of prospective buyers for apps isn't going to be close anytime soon, HP/Palm need to get creative with ways to entice developers.

The SDK & PDK along with Palm's marketing of how "easy" it is to port apps (especially games) to WebOS is a good start. Even better was the HottApps competition. So ti would like to hear suggestions of other creative ways HP can do this. Keep in mind, while HP has "tons of money" to spend, they are a business and can't just throw money away, it has to entail profitability at some point. Here is what I came up with so far:

1. Pre-purchase apps in bulk: "Hey CBSSports.com, you develop the app, we (HP) will pay up front for 50,000. The $ from the first 50,000 purchases goes back to us, everything after that goes directly to you." (the 50,000 number is based on 5 seconds of thought and would likely need some tweaking).

pros: Developer has immediate gains from their work, HP has potential to get paid back on all or at least a portion of the investment.
    cons: only realistic for apps that have already proven to be successful on other platforms.

2. New phones (and old phones) should come with gift cards to the app store. People seem to buy most of their apps when they first start playing with their phone, so that is the time to capitalize. If new buyers get say, $15? in credit at the app store, they will all spend just about every penny.
    pros: since it is limited to new customers buying , HP (hopefully) is still profiting on each purchase.
    cons: $15 less profit (although i assume they are getting a percentage of the app catalog profits anyway so its probably much less than $15 they are actually spending....)

Anyway, let me know what you think, and if you have other ideas (and please don't bother posting negative messages like "waste of time")

-There are some good ideas there..
    IMHO, i would like to see HP/Palm take a more aggressive approach. Bite the bullett; a free app day. One day where HP covers the cost of any app in the cataloge. (This way the devs get their profit) i know i sound like a guy that just wants free apps.. BUT, there is logic here. I know with me there are tons of apps i would love to try out, but dont feel the need to spend the 4.99 for. If the app cat is open for a day all free, HP/Palm will get a much less-biased approach on what people are interested in, and what kind of "new apps" to focus on.

just an idear.... thoughts?
  10.    #10  
    When it comes to getting a Hulu app, yes, HP better be applying pressure now, if they have not started already.

Also, some apps can't come here yet because the API's are not yet available (most of that should be remedied by WebOS 2.0).

But there are a ton of smaller developers that just haven't developed for WebOS yet because there isn't sufficient incentive. As an example, there was a thread recently about Kik messenger. If HP would guarantee a certain number of purchases, then it would be risk-free to develop a WebOS app. Just 1 idea.
    my opinion is there won't be much movement by many developers until after CES 2011 (or sooner or later whenever HP announces more webOS phones).
    I see pandas.
    Two things for more Apps:
    1) Hardware not matched by anyone else
    2) More API's
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by kody.thompson113 View Post
    -There are some good ideas there..
    IMHO, i would like to see HP/Palm take a more aggressive approach. Bite the bullett; a free app day. One day where HP covers the cost of any app in the cataloge. (This way the devs get their profit) i know i sound like a guy that just wants free apps.. BUT, there is logic here. I know with me there are tons of apps i would love to try out, but dont feel the need to spend the 4.99 for. If the app cat is open for a day all free, HP/Palm will get a much less-biased approach on what people are interested in, and what kind of "new apps" to focus on.

just an idear.... thoughts?
    I like the idea, but I think its a tough sell to HP for 2 reasons:
    1. Only helps apps that are already in the app catalog. Theoretically, more app sales for current apps would inspire more developers to submit their apps in the future, but that, I think is a bit tenuous an outcome for such an expenditure.

2. HP has no way to predict what their exposure would be. How do you guess how many apps people are going to purchase? I suppose you could limit it to keep the prospective costs under control. But I think overall, there isn't enough payoff in terms of bringing in new apps for this to be worthwhile.
    i posted this in another post.

what about devs being paid for usage in addition to the price of the app.
    like the more ppl use their apps, the more they get paid, forces them to make more useful apps. so the better they make the app, the more they get paid.

like lets say 1 cent for each day an app is used per handset.
    that could be up to $3.65 a year per handset (which is more then they avg now)
    that times let's say, 2,000 handsets. that's $7,300 in that year. not bad considering you don't get anything after the app is paid for now.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mc_gusto View Post
    i posted this in another post.

what about devs being paid for usage in addition to the price of the app.
    like the more ppl use their apps, the more they get paid, forces them to make more useful apps. so the better they make the app, the more they get paid.

like lets say 1 cent for each day an app is used per handset.
    that could be up to $3.65 a year per handset (which is more then they avg now)
    that times let's say, 2,000 handsets. that's $7,300 in that year. not bad considering you don't get anything after the app is paid for now.
    very creative. I'm sure there are other members who know the answer, but do the current phones have ways to monitor app usage?

it also probably raises some privacy concerns.
    there are prolly other issues, such as apps that launch themselves daily. but i assume if you download that app, privacy shouldnt be too much of a concern on how many days you use it.

if anything it should cut down on some app spam and the real good apps should rise to the top. it'll even make devs take a look at past apps and improve them.

if apple ever did this it could get pricey, but hp can afford to do this as a promotion to attract more devs. i think.
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    HP definitely needs to spend some money to prime the pump for new apps, and these are some good ideas here. As a real estate developer I have to pay the water company to put in new water lines, but then they pay me back for each new customer I bring to them. Once I've sold about 2/3rds of the lots the water line is paid for. Incentives are a well proven way to motivate development.
    This is like the 50th thread on this topic but here goes nothing.

Everyone says apps brings customers but I would guess that doesn't hold true for the majority of consumers. How many people that don't chat on message boards actually walk into the store and say, "Yes salesperson, how many total apps does this phone have"? Salesrep: "5,000 but that Droid has 100k". Customer: "Ok, I want 100k apps even though I have no idea which apps I want or need". Most people will likely ask if the phone can do X and if there are apps that will allow them to do X and that'll factor into their decision. However, Americans just want a big a*s screen.

So how does HP get more apps for webOS. Enroll more customers. How do they do that? Advertise constantly and launch the phones that have big a*s screens. Americans like big shiny things.

As someone else mentioned, HP's dev relations team and partner relationship teams should be engaging the likes of Netflix and so forth to create apps for the upcoming PalmPad which will trickle down to the phones.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    374 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Americans just want a big a*s screen.
    LOL, we need a webOS phone with junk in the trunk!
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    Anyway, let me know what you think,
    I agree with the premise that they need to pay some companies to make some of the more sought after apps by the mainstream consumer or like they do with facebook, pay someone to make the a given app.

the prospect of apps drew me to the platform but the launch apps where like bibles and tip calculators and public domain books from 1820 so i didn't expect that sort of stuff. I expected bigger names like the launch apps.

as a side comment, for me the issue isn't merely getting "developers." "Developers" to me seems to be more like 3rd party developers. To me the issue is getting the actual companies. Like my gut says the reason there's no say ESPN sportscenter app or similar level in popularity of app is likely ESPN doesn't want to make one not no developer wants to make one. There's was no bofa app before cause you need bofa to get into their system. And that probably applies for lots of potential apps. Like there's what like 4000 apps and a thread of requested apps like hulu (not that i use that), mint.com, or netflix and they don't get made for various reasons. One is probably cause only the actual company can make the app. Like there's a netflix app but it doesn't have streaming which i think the official app does. There's a youtube app but all it does is play. you can't access your account, leave comments, rate stuff, etc. Like all those requested apps are waiting to get made and the current developers rarely attempt them. so for my mind it has to be for a reason and apis are the case for all of them. so i don't think you can expect 3rd party developers to fill that gap. I think they've got to find some way to make Company XYZ want to make a webos app. Cause there will always be a new company, or hot new website, so the desire to make the app needs to come from the company or web property. So if paying a bigger company to make an app is the way i'm all for it. Because i just don't think with a lot of potential apps 3rd party "developers" are able to fill the gap when the actual company has no interest in making the app. my two cents. still good idea. i agree.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast