Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Plus we lack in facebook too, see this slide from facebook presentation today. Notice anything familiar, yes WebOS is missing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    actually, the only phones with netflix streaming at this point is the iphone and wp7 phones (no android)

Even Netflix Can’t Avoid Android Fragmentation: Video
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
    I don't need Netflix, but the Kindle app is probably the one thing that I really do see as a flaw in webOS. HP needs to get with Amazon and make it happen. I prefer reading on my Kindle, but I don't always want to carry it around with me.
    We do have the Kobo app which is through Borders Books. Not sure why any platform would need both when they offer the same thing (ability to browse, buy, and download books).

Free eBooks for iPhone, Blackberry or Palm Pre - Kobo
    Well for those who are webOS faithful I'm sure that the Netflix app and Kindle app will come sooner or later. I remember a time when the ipod and iphone didn't even have any apps or appstore and people had to revert to jailbraking to get the simplest app. At first webOS reminded me of that with it's small app catalog but look at how fast it's grown, I mean compare it to IOS sure it's small but they have had a long time to get their appstore to that size, I'm sure with HP's support palm will have one of the largest app catalog, I just hope they don't start coming out with 1000s of apps for the same simple purpose, but I suppose the bigger the better. I think that by this time next year a lot of people will have some sort of palm product in their hand, that is if people stop copying the pre's design and webOS multitasking style
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    We do have the Kobo app which is through Borders Books. Not sure why any platform would need both when they offer the same thing (ability to browse, buy, and download books).
    Some books may be available for Kindle that aren't for Kobo. But mainly, a Kindle app is needed by people who have a Kindle. They won't want to re-purchase their books to read them in the Kobo app. (I think you can probably strip the DRM and re-format the books in ePub to read in the Kobo app, but not everyone is so technically inclined, or wants to do that.)

But the main advantage I see in having a Kindle app is that the apps and the Kindle device sync your position in the book wirelessly, so you can be reading something on your Kindle, then stop and later pick up where you left off on your phone, or vice-versa. That, to me, is a killer feature.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Plus we lack in facebook too, see this slide from facebook presentation today. Notice anything familiar, yes WebOS is missing.
    I thought that had to do with Facebook being the dev for those platforms while Palm actually develops their own Facebook app?
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I posted to @netflixapi on twitter. I asked

"Are there similar obstacles (eg. DRM, etc.) to getting Netflix video content on a webOS device as there are on an android phone?"

maybe you can ask something else

....they told me to contact netflix because netflixapi does not deal with video
    Last edited by Rkguy; 11/24/2010 at 10:52 AM.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    I respect the people who want a Kindle app for WebOS, but I'm not among them, right now. Ditto for Netflix, and for the same reason:

Realistically, the Pre and Pixi screens are pretty small. They're smaller than the iPhone screen, and even that is something smaller than what I want to read from. Bringing out those apps when the WebOS tablet comes out makes a lot more sense to me personally. Again, I'm not disrespecting anyone who wants to read from their Pre. It's just not me.
    Realistically, the Pre and Pixi screens are large enough for those that prefer smaller devices. Some people feel they are too small, others are just fine with the size. Realistically, that is more dependent on personal preferences and limitations relating to a person's vision.

Actually none of the devices I've seen that aren't specifically reader devices are that good for reading because all of the multi-function devices I've seen are glossy. As for movies, size depends on how many people you have watching it. For one person holding such a small device it's actually a very reasonable application for most people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Realistically, the Pre and Pixi screens are large enough for those that prefer smaller devices. Some people feel they are too small, others are just fine with the size. Realistically, that is more dependent on personal preferences and limitations relating to a person's vision.
    I probably should've said "relatively speaking" rather than "realistically". I just meant that the Pre's screen is smaller than most of the other big (in terms of popularity) players out there (e.g., iPhone, many Android phones, and BlackBerry). You're certainly correct that it's a personal preference,

Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Actually none of the devices I've seen that aren't specifically reader devices are that good for reading because all of the multi-function devices I've seen are glossy. As for movies, size depends on how many people you have watching it. For one person holding such a small device it's actually a very reasonable application for most people.
    It probably depends on the movie, too. Watching something like "Iron Man 2" on the Pre would probably leave something to be desired, because it relies so much on the visuals. For a lot of movies, though, it might turn out to be acceptable. To be honest, my only experience w/ the Pre and video has been either the stuff I make myself or the trailers from Fandango.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
    I probably should've said "relatively speaking" rather than "realistically". I just meant that the Pre's screen is smaller than most of the other big (in terms of popularity) players out there (e.g., iPhone, many Android phones, and BlackBerry). You're certainly correct that it's a personal preference,
    Well that's not actually completely true either. The majority of Blackberries have smaller screens then the Pre and the Pixi.
    Amazon Kindle will be available soon, if it is not already
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_es View Post
    Maybe - from the announcement it sounded like it was only going to be for the Touchpad for now (maybe it requires WebOS 3.0?).
    it will run on the phonee, just availability around the touchpad launch.
    Did they say that officially? That's great!
    Global Posts
    614 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    I read my kindle a Barnes and Noble books in pReader.
    If they don't have DRM. Otherwise, all we've got is Kobo, which is pretty good by the way. I think if we get Kindle, I'll still do most of my shopping with Kobo just out of loyalty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    it will run on the phonee, just availability around the touchpad launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainiac 5 View Post
    Maybe - from the announcement it sounded like it was only going to be for the Touchpad for now (maybe it requires WebOS 3.0?).
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_es View Post
    Hummmm... on what version of the phone OS?
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    I read my kindle a Barnes and Noble books in pReader.
    Uh... really? I have pReader and there is a whole world of info about what it supports and limitations. One of the key problems with Kindle is that while the earlier format is technically supported there is no way known to get the device ID for the keyring file.

So can you enlighten the rest of us how you are able to get around this?
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Now even windows 7 have netflix. WebOS is the only platform left without netflix and Amazon Kindle. So iPhone, iPad, android, blackberry and now windows 7 have netflix and Amazon Kindle. Only one left out is WebOS. I have a feeling both are coming on January 6th with CES and release of WebOS Tab.
    I'm sorry but I have to bring this up. Weren't we all naive just a few months ago?
    Quote Originally Posted by jkeitz View Post
    If they don't have DRM. Otherwise, all we've got is Kobo, which is pretty good by the way. I think if we get Kindle, I'll still do most of my shopping with Kobo just out of loyalty.
    Yeah, Kobo works great for me. I actually got a Kobo ereader over Christmas. I only hope that they make the Kobo phone and ereader apps talk to each other to update bookmarks. Nice thing about Kobo compared to Kindle is it is compatable with epubs.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12