1.    #1  
    Being a new Pixi Plus owner, how much data do you guys use each month? I spend ~17 hrs/day at my house which has wifi. Would the new Verizon 150MB be too little?
    I was forced to get an unlimited data plan on my pixi. I don't think you can downgrade.
    Verizon Pixi Plus on 1.4.5 w/ Preware
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightsout565 View Post
    Being a new Pixi Plus owner, how much data do you guys use each month? I spend ~17 hrs/day at my house which has wifi. Would the new Verizon 150MB be too little?
    If you spend most of your time using WiFi, that might be enough. I use a lot of WiFi too, but I still use more than 150MB when I'm out and about.

Download Netstat from Preware to monitor how much data you use. I believe you can also set data limits as well, to prevent you from going over your data usage.

http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/netstat
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    I use a bunch, home or not.

Get the 150 MB plan and watch your usage every couple days. Use the bookmarked VZW link and stay under 153,600 KB. The is a utility in Preware called Netstat, which watches data over wifi/3G/bluetooth, but I'm not convinced that it works 100%
    According to netstat, I've gone above 1gig and it's been about 4 days since my usage reset.

The only time I'm around WiFi is at school M-TH and I've used a few hundred mb.
    I have the ATT 200mb, I use like, 50-75mb. I'm either at home or work, where I have wifi, and the rest of the time i'm driving, so I don't use my data!
  7.    #7  
    Verizon customers with the 150MB ($15) plan also enjoy the free mobile hotspot that includes 5GB!

Google "Pre Plus & Pixi Plus on Verizon Enjoy 5 GB Tethering with New 150 MB, $15 Data Plan" (sorry cant post links with only 2 posts)
    Verizon customers with the 150MB ($15) plan also enjoy the free mobile hotspot that includes 5GB!

Google "Pre Plus & Pixi Plus on Verizon Enjoy 5 GB Tethering with New 150 MB, $15 Data Plan" (sorry cant post links with only 2 posts)
    That sounds weird. Why would they give you 5GB to tether, but only 150MB to use on your device?
    Since they offered it before offering the 150mb plan, they were legally obligated to continue to offer it.

Or something like that.
    I have a question that nobody seems to have answered with any certainty. I have the Palm Pre Plus on Verizon network and I have the unlimited everything with the up to 5GB mobile hotspot plan or whatever it is. I just installed freetether and it seems to be working just fine...I was wondering if it uses up my 5gb limit on verizon or if it somehow fools them and wont eat into the 5gb because if it didnt i would just use it all the time.

Thanks,
    jackie
    Sorry if this has been answered already if so I could not find a direct answer...

I have a question that nobody seems to have answered with any certainty. I have the Palm Pre Plus on Verizon network and I have the unlimited everything with the up to 5GB mobile Hotspot plan or whatever it is. I just installed FreeTether and it seems to be working just fine...I was wondering if it uses up my 5gb limit on Verizon or if it somehow fools them and wont eat into the 5gb because if it didnt i would just use it all the time.

Thanks,
    jackie
    It definitely uses up your data. Doesn't Verizon have the free mobile hotspot anyway? But ya, the data usage still shows up on their radar. You'd more than likely be hard pressed to use you 5gb though. I tethered my Sprint Pre for a month with my laptop as my only internet and only used around 2.5gb. As long as you're not downloading movies/songs/games/whatever, you should be cool.
    I have to think that anything that uses your phone data will count against your limit.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by jookieblue View Post
    Sorry if this has been answered already if so I could not find a direct answer...

I have a question that nobody seems to have answered with any certainty. I have the Palm Pre Plus on Verizon network and I have the unlimited everything with the up to 5GB mobile Hotspot plan or whatever it is. I just installed FreeTether and it seems to be working just fine...I was wondering if it uses up my 5gb limit on Verizon or if it somehow fools them and wont eat into the 5gb because if it didnt i would just use it all the time.

Thanks,
    jackie

You will want to check your next bill, but I am reasonably sure that using FreeTether or MyTether makes the traffic look like normal phone traffic and not count against the 5gb MHS limit.

On the other hand, if you have the MHS app running, even your phone data looks like MHS traffic and gets counted.

The FreeTether/MyTether traffic was transparent when I tried them early in the year. Verizon may have smartened up, but I haven't tried it since they made the MHS free.

Check your usage on myverizon, and remember that it can be posted a few days after it happens.
    <<thread merged>>
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    You will want to check your next bill, but I am reasonably sure that using FreeTether or MyTether makes the traffic look like normal phone traffic and not count against the 5gb MHS limit.

On the other hand, if you have the MHS app running, even your phone data looks like MHS traffic and gets counted.

The FreeTether/MyTether traffic was transparent when I tried them early in the year. Verizon may have smartened up, but I haven't tried it since they made the MHS free.

Check your usage on myverizon, and remember that it can be posted a few days after it happens.
    I will check that out Ive read things and thought that it would as well make the traffic look like normal phone traffic.

So if anyone knows for sure about this please reply.
    Here are some helpful posts from a similar thread:

WIth VZW, there are only two data plans for smartphones. One that is truly unlimited, and a completely useless $15 150mb plan.

There is only one MHS plan, and that is capped at 5gb, with a steep charge for anything over that amount, as the OP has experienced.

In terms of the FreeTether/MyTether option, they were in use before the carriers started providing a mobile hotspot app. The reason carriers are providing the MHS is specifically so they can detect and measure the traffic.

My disclaimer was that VZW may come up with a way to identify FreeTether/MyTether traffic, but at the moment I don't believe they can. There are threads here and on the sites for those apps that discuss this.

I tested this at the beginning of the year, when VZW was charging $49/month. I used MyTether a few times just to see if it would show up on my bill. It didn't. But then VZW decided to make the MHS app free, so that was the last time I messed with it. On a recent trip to the mountains, I was using my Pre to surf while also tethering my laptop, and I saw a big increase in my MS traffic, which verified that all traffic counts toward MHS when the app is active.

Here is text from the VZW sitee about the MHS service:

Any usage above the 5 GB monthly allowance will be billed at a per-MB rate. This feature is separate from your smartphone data feature. Please contact your account representative or log into your account through Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, 4G LTE network with the Best Cell Phone Service - Verizon Wireless, select "add a feature" and add the "3G Mobile Hotspot" feature. When your smartphone is connected using 3G Mobile Hotspot, all data sent or received by your smartphone (including data sent or received by any Wi-Fi devices connected to it, or by your smartphone itself) will be billed according to your 3G Mobile Hotspot feature, and not according to your smartphone data feature.
    THis is the VZW unlimited data plan from the $29.99 unlimited data plan that I have. In the previous post you will see where VZW says specifically that the MHS feature is a completely separate feature.

Unlimited Email & Web for Smartphones (personal email)
    Get unlimited access to the Internet and your personal email accounts.

Easy email account setup.
    Access up to 10 Personal Email accounts.
    Open and view Email attachments.
    Enjoy unlimited Internet access.