Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Like someone just asked me if I had kik. I didn't even know what it was. Come to find out it's a messenger like bbm but for Iphone, Android, and bb users. So why not webOS users???
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/05/2010 at 03:48 PM. Reason: updated title
    "Glen honey, I got a question for you. What do you do for a living?
    "I got a question for you. Why are you still here?"
    #WhatsaDollaHolla! http://up-toprec.webs.com/
    www.reverbnation.com/christophercapicherobbin
    http://soundcloud.com/christopher-capiche-robbin
    www.dopetracks.com/JTMoneyBaggs
    because we all ways lack marketshare.
    At least we have Mojo Messenger
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Haha... why people all ways gotta point out flaws... lol

And WebOS is left out sometimes because its not a large marketshare... It is only on 3 devices (technically 4 depending on how many times you want to count the Pre)

Devs want to see where WebOS is going and make sure they have the proper APIs to do what they want to and as of right now it is not able to provide that.

But things will change here soon... hopefully WebOS 2.0 sparks the interest of alot of developers out there...
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Cubed View Post
    Haha... why people all ways gotta point out flaws... lol

And WebOS is left out sometimes because its not a large marketshare... It is only on 3 devices (technically 4 depending on how many times you want to count the Pre)

Devs want to see where WebOS is going and make sure they have the proper APIs to do what they want to and as of right now it is not able to provide that.

But things will change here soon... hopefully WebOS 2.0 sparks the interest of alot of developers out there...
    Actually, it is on 5 devices:

Pre
    Pre Plus
    Pre 2
    Pixi
    Pixi Plus
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Don't think webOS has ever been in the loop - Still growing...
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I was just thinking this and then this thread pop up as soon as I visit the Pre forums. I was looking at all of my iPhone apps that I have(sold my iPhone first gen) and I began wondering why Palm doesn't have as great of a selection. Anything that you can think of has an app on the iPhone. I'm also hoping that WebOS 2.0 sparks devs interest too. I want fruit ninja.
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Actually, it is on 5 devices:

Pre
    Pre Plus
    Pre 2
    Pixi
    Pixi Plus
    Haha I forgot about the Pixi Plus... Oh well...
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    webOS still doesn't have a big enough consumer base. If you get big enough, they will come. Like how I used to see "now available on your iphone" all the time, and now I see "now available on your iphone or android device" all the time.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Honestly, it's because Palm failed to keep themselves in the news cycle by introducing new exciting products.

It has been bad from the launch of the Pre, they did a bad job on quality control and the blogs made sure everyone knew. It's been one of two things since that launch, quiet or negative.

This isn't to say things haven't gotten better. But until we get a string of good devices and an overall improvement in apps that come with the phone (like Google Maps, music app, etc) no one is going to be drooling to either buy or develop for webOS.

I'm positive 2011 will be our year though, I get the feeling HP is going to do the reverse of Apple.. Meaning -- dominate tablet space so thar users understand OS -> sell them phone with same OS because now they get it. I imagine they're "working their butts of" on an ecosystem to rival the competition.
    palm/hp needs to come out with different form factor phones. appaarently the palm pre, pre plus and pre 2, pixi, pixi plus is not attracting a lot of people.

webos would have garnered more attention if came out with another phone in conjuction woith the pre 2 (and im not talking about a pixi 2).

but oh well. im not buying....just waiting for the webos 2 update for my palm pre plus. my guess is that most will not buy the pre 2 and just wait for the webos update.
    It's all about market share. To get what we want, HP webOS has to grow!

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    this isn't going to happen soon seeing as how the holiday coming fast and hp is currently only pushing web connected printers.
    WebOS: the Amiga of smartphone OS.

We all know it is better, but it is missing the most basic of applications and only runs out outdated hardware.
    Is the Kik messenger available for Palm Pre??

If not it needs to be asap!!!!
    I dont care if Palm doesn't have a big market share. If I was a developer I'd put my app on every OS it could be on. Thats still more money from people buying the app. Im not a developer, so am I missing something? Does it cost money to port apps over to webOS? Do developers just not recognize webOS for what it is? Why WOULDN'T developers want their apps on webOS if people will buy them or even get their app recognized by more people?
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I think this chart basically says it all.

Technolog - BlackBerry holds on while Android and iPhone loom large

HP are in a catch 22. And the only way to get out of it is spend some cash on getting the marque apps developed, i.e. pay the developers and and to generate huge buzz for a true next gen phone, the kind that will attract the masses. Throw in other variations of hardware to satisfy the rest of the market and maybe we'll get the apps everyone has, assuming of course the APIs exist.
    I never really felt out of the look until KIK messenger went viral... That's something I really want.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    I dont care if Palm doesn't have a big market share. If I was a developer I'd put my app on every OS it could be on. Thats still more money from people buying the app. Im not a developer, so am I missing something? Does it cost money to port apps over to webOS? Do developers just not recognize webOS for what it is? Why WOULDN'T developers want their apps on webOS if people will buy them or even get their app recognized by more people?
    So if it cost you say $50,000 in dev cost to get your app on WebOS and you sell 15000 copies @ 2$ minus Palms cut, would you still put your app on every OS?

Glad I don't work for you....
    How in the world to you think it costs $50,000 to create or port an app to webOS?? You think it would cost more than major medical surgery to create this?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast