Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    seeing as how the BB version was crashing every couple of days because RIM's servers couldn't handle the load, seems logical that it was pulled. Hope this gives them more time develop for other platforms!
    Quote Originally Posted by wyckedankh View Post
    Just read on Engadget how RIM pulled Kik, though they say it's because of privacy concerns not because it could defeat the purpose of BBM. Apparently it goes through your email, not your contacts, and recommends who you should add on Kik... Do we really want an app that mines through your information?
    Of course not. They could have certainly done it the proper way, without violating privacy, but then client adoption would have taken a lot longer.

Something tells me the privacy organizations are already all over this company. Google has recently paid out $8.5M for the way they implemented Buzz, which is similar case here. Obviously, KIK did smart by opening it up this way to build the critical mass. When you have 2M users and growing, raising $10M to close some privacy violation penalties is pocket change since the valuation grows much higher.

I am also quite not sure whether RIM is going to sue the company or not (maybe its waiting for it to grow in size and valuation first). If copying the BBM concept was that simple (and its definitely not complicated technically), it would have been on every single mobile OS by now, including iPhones, Android devices, etc. There is something here that tells me KIK is in violation not only your privacy but also a couple of patents.
    Last edited by the caveman; 11/18/2010 at 02:15 PM.
    After I told them that they should consider webos since Rim doesn't want them. Kik replied back with 'thats an interesting idea'. I then directed them to this thread to show them we want the app. I'm still waiting for a reply back. I'll post pictures about the convo on twitter in a little bit.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I'd definitely buy this app if it was on WebOS. My wife has an iPhone (as did I) and we used to use WhatsApp (which was great), but that's not on WebOS either.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I know I sent them an email a couple weeks ago requesting a webOS app!
    Quote Originally Posted by suburban_war View Post
    I've poked around on the kik web site, but I still am at a loss --what is the huge appeal to this? Yet another IM service, but unlike the wonderful ones supported by webOS right in the OS, it's limited to phones only?

They talk about how it's cool that it has delivery receipts.. as does any IM service, if the message got sent, it was received.

I'm not trying to dismiss the product at all, I'm just trying to understand the point?
    Aside from the cool BBM-like feature (where you can see when your messages have been delivered/read) if enough of your friends/family get onboard with Kik you can save money in txt messaging.

A perfect example is, I have Kik on my iPhone (which is a developer phone, so I have the bare minimum plan) and I prefer to use it to converse with my family (as I much prefer the virtual keyboard) and not have a hit against my monthly 200 sms messages.

Also, it has been a life saver while traveling Europe in the past week as I don't have to pay extra for roaming SMS. The data usage is VERY little. It definitely has its advantages, but it's certainly not for everyone and it's only useful when you have many friends/family that use it.
    It's not cross-platform (yet), but I have been trying out Mojo Messenger now that the public beta is available. I am going to install it on the wifes Pixi tonight and try it out instead of text messaging. The app is very polished and looks great. It really could be the BBM for the webOS community.

But the cross-platform apps are where it's at. If kik can make a webOS client I would be all over that.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by the caveman View Post
    I am also quite not sure whether RIM is going to sue the company or not (maybe its waiting for it to grow in size and valuation first). If copying the BBM concept was that simple (and its definitely not complicated technically), it would have been on every single mobile OS by now, including iPhones, Android devices, etc. There is something here that tells me KIK is in violation not only your privacy but also a couple of patents.
    I hate to say I told you so, but I told you so.

Can't include links in the posts, but RIM has filed a patent suit against Kik.
    Sorry to dig this up from long ago, but it looks like apple just released their own BBM knockoff in the form of iMessenger. (Apple unveils iCloud, OS X Lion, iOS 5, iMessenger - Tech News - IBNLive). Surely if they can do it than the legal obstacles can't be that severe...
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345