View Poll Results: Which media syncing/uploading software do you prefer?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • File Sync

4 15.38%
  • WiFi Media Sync (w/ 2-Way Sync)

21 80.77%
  • Other

2 7.69%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am on the lookout for an App that can sync and/or upload my photos and video from my Pre to a PC on my home network.

I am guessing that the 2 main competitors for this function are 'WiFi Media Sync' and 'File Sync'.

For those that have exposure to both, please provide some feedback for myself and other users that might be having the same question(s).
    Please list PROS and CONS for each.

(I am also under the impression that WiFi Media Sync added some substantive functionality between their original release and it's present form, so just an fyi out there to others that might be reading reviews of WiFi Media Sync from older posts)
    Last edited by visigothwarrior; 10/31/2010 at 12:45 PM. Reason: detail request
    I just started using WiFi Media Sync a month or two ago and it's made moving files an absolute breeze. I keep 2 folders on my desktop just to make it easy (one for files I'm sending to my Pre, and one for files I'm receiving from my Pre). You can use one folder for everything, but I find this easier/faster than sorting through all my synced files for those I'm receiving.

For the price, this has been one of the best apps I've purchased!
    Totally agree, and good tip about the folders. I'll try it out tonight.
    Wifi Media sync alllll the way bay bay!
    Rsync works just fine over either wireless with ssh, or when attached as a USB Mass storage device. Bonus, you can sync anything you like with it, in either direction, using any combination of settings you like.

Rsync is even already part of WebOS, so once you have a shell and ssh configured, you can write jobs to automate, I dunno, backing up the phone to your NAS, Server, Laptop, whatever, when it detects it is on your home network.

No need to reinvent proven solutions.

http://www.samba.org/rsync/
    : (){:|:&};:
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    I don't quite think anyone is 'reinventing proven solutions'... just offering multiple good options.
    Aren't there web server apps on Preware that will mount your /media/internals/ directory on a server hosted on the Pre, that you can then visit via your computer's browser? I know I tried an app like that on a Blackberry, and I'm assuming it would work the same on a Pre, though I don't know if you would be able to upload to the Pre using this method.
    i tried this wifi media sync but couldnt understand how to set it up or use it so i just quit trying lol. i just want to hook up and hit sync !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    yeah.. the first time setup for me was annoying, but that was only because the actual program on my computer didn't show up. Once I found that, set the password, and made sure the app on the phone was using the set to the same IP address - all was good.
    well how does it work ? one file at a time ? or what ?
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    You can upload or download as many files at a time as you like. The only think I don't like about the current version is the fact that you can only select one file at a time on your device to upload. If you have a bunch of pictures, instead of being able to simply choose that folder to upload, you have to select each picture one at a time into the queue. Then you can sync what you have chosen. As for sending to the device.. just throw your files into the folder on your computer and sync.
    thats not efficient enough for my tastes so i will wait until we can get a good syncing app . im hoping we will get one eventually .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
  13.    #13  
    Any other feedback out there for Pros/Cons of software?
    I'm leaning WiFi M.S. but don't want to have to click every photo to upload. Anyone know if something allows this?

How about Dropboxify?

With all these options, can they be configured to autosync and/or auto upload?
    or are they all 'manual trigger'?
    I have wfms and I wish that when you tap a picture or video, and get options to mail, mms, facebook... That you could send to a folder that would sync then next time you were near your computer. That everything was cached and ready to go.
  15.    #15  
    Kind of funny that just recently File Sync came out with an update that supposedly includes and improves some of the complaints above. Any experienced the newer File Sync yet? any feedback?
    Do you guys know if it's possible to upload files from my Pre to my email or cloud app like SkyDrive, DropBox etc? When I vist dropbox.com on my Pre, there's no way to attach any files.
  17.    #17  
    there's a dropbox app for the Pre.,

Anyone else have any detailed experience with the most recent versions of WiFi Media Sync vs. File Sync?
    Global Posts
    776 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Rsync works just fine over either wireless with ssh, or when attached as a USB Mass storage device. Bonus, you can sync anything you like with it, in either direction, using any combination of settings you like.

Rsync is even already part of WebOS, so once you have a shell and ssh configured, you can write jobs to automate, I dunno, backing up the phone to your NAS, Server, Laptop, whatever, when it detects it is on your home network.

rsync
    Tell me more....

Right now, I use SyncBackPro to sync pics and screenshots FROM my phone TO my laptop. I have it scheduled to run at 11p every day, but I end up having to do it manually most of the time
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I don't know why I didn't pick up the WiFi Media Sync earlier. I just purchased it and it is running great! I absolutely love it and look forward to future developments as we march towards HP webOS 2.0
    Just downloaded wifi media Sync, and now i just found out about file sync which clearly does what I wrote to the other dev to include in his app. Explore PC. Looks like I bought the wrong app, waste of 3$ but ohwell, Getting file sync right now.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast