Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    All I have to say:

More famous apps - the better.
    absolutely, hp should already be presenting to these big consumer companies...netflix, various banks, barnes and noble, drug stores such as walgreens and cvs, grocery stores, car companies, sirius xm, cablevision, time warnet, etc etc....about why they should develop for webOS, and pay them like microsoft and I'm sure google and apple have in the past. If hp is then successful in the consumer space, other companies will WANT to develop for webOS.
    what about being paid for usage in addition to the price of the app.
    like the more ppl use their apps, the more they get paid, forces them to make more useful apps.

like lets say 1 cent for each day an app is used per handset.
    that could be up to $3.65 a year per handset (which is more then they avg now)
    that times let's say, 1,000 handsets. that's $3,650 in that year. not bad considering you don't get anything after the app is paid for now.
  4.    #24  
    Well it seems I have posted a pretty decent question for a change.

I'm also going to add to the original question, a secondary question!

What is the proper amount of apps to have on a platform for the pundits to stop saying there are no apps for WebOS? We now have about 4000 (that's four thousand apps!).

I believe if you have the core apps you should be able to stop counting!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I think 10,000 puts an end to the "no apps" criticism. We'll be there by Spring without any heroic effort. Sure, it's not 6 figures, but it's more than anybody can browse through in the catalog.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Sure wish HP would bankroll Epocrates and Quickoffice for WebOS ASAP.
    They need to give incentives for app developers (especially for medical users) to come out with:
    - HanDbase (the only generic database app for webOS isn't very good IMO, and DDHSoftware says they may develop if there is enough interest - again a chicken and egg situation)
    - Epocrates Essentials
    - Skype (not just Verizon)
    - iSilo (there's not a single Hyperlink capable document reader for webOS!)
    - Kindle app
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I think vzw can only control who gets skype at this time...

re: the others, hp must get some medical companies to develop apps.
    It's really not the number of apps, but a few crucial apps or types of apps that other platforms have available...
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    A million apps would mean nothing if only twenty were useful/downloaded.

As long as you can do what you want with your phone, in whichever way you like (ex. different music streaming - Pandora, Last.fm), then the number of apps would not matter. Some people fail to realize this.

And then there are some who think the number of apps is indicative of the availability of choices presented to them. That's perfectly legitimate. It is also indicative of the developer support behind the platform. A "bad sign" would be a platform lacking developer support so people usually heed it and stay away from that platform.

Then again, that would be the perspective of one looking from the outside trying to see the inside of the webOS box. Yet, they fail to realize that this box has a different perspective from the inside.
  11.    #31  
    Hi all,

I just caught up on reading all the replies to this thread.

I want to say that there is a big difference in HP paying for apps to be created and the Developer Incentives Program!

My original question has nothing to do on the Developer Incentives Programs (however form they may take). They were and are great!

However, the question was really about those apps that are required for real [enterprise] work. There are apps that we've all been waiting for that the Developer Incentives Programs have not produced (most likely because of the lack of API's, etc).

So when I asked if HP/Palm should pay for apps to be developered I was trying to pin point that statement on apps that are necessary for WebOS to be taken seriously by the enterprise market (medical as well) for WebOS to survive in this industry.

Rob
    If that's what it takes to keep and/or get developers, then by all means HP should. It's a catch 22. You need a larger user base to interest developers into porting apps, but they may not port apps without the larger user base. Hardware can grab a consumer's attention as well, but at this point the Pre2 is all that is officially on the horizon and while it doesn't look like a bad phone, I don't feel it has the "wow" factor to make people extend phone contracts unless they were planning on getting a Pre -/+ anyway and the Pre2 happens to be available.
    I think they should pay in the beginning to get developers here. This isn't about principle. It's about getting great apps. And that is what it's all about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    Not only would I pay developers to develop for webOS, but I would have my own inhouse development team whose sole purpose is to fill voids that our competitors have filled.

A prime example would be the facebook app. Done inhouse it has become one of the best facebook apps available on any platform.

If the big dogs don't want to help us out it's up to HP to provide the software that will keep people from migrating.

Essentially, i'd be taking a page from the videogame industry.
    Your example proves that hp/palm is doing exactly what we suggest they should. Facebook is developed in house. Also i believe hp is in the process of doing such things as making unlocked developer phones available. Also I thought someone from hp said they had their engineers developing apps for webos already? Also I'm willing to bet that hp plans to (if they haven't already) give their employees webos devices. They've stopped creating hardware for android and windows mobile/phone. It would make sense to assume their employees would stop using such devices as well, and start using webos exclusively.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12