1.    #1  
    I was wondering if we could put a top 10 list together that we all could write emails to the devs to port over to webos.

Anyone know of any really good ones that we don't have.
    ?
    devs not porting them is stupid, its EASY. palm did all the work for them with the pdk
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    devs not porting them is stupid, its EASY. palm did all the work for them with the pdk
    Its so freaking easy that the developers of Angry Birds launched their webos version before the android one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    Its so freaking easy that the developers of Angry Birds launched their webos version before the android one.
    yup, and won $100k doing it
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    That's great for PDK-type apps, but regular apps are a different story. Those are the serious apps people are waiting for. Games are nice, but not everything.
    I assume the game devs took advantage of this first because there's more money to be had in games. I have to wonder if the ease of porting also applies to regular apps though...
    Flipbook
    well, there isn't a significant financial gain from porting. Besides the hot apps program, angry birds didn't get that many downloads, considering it was by far the most popular one.
    PLEASE STOP SPREADING LIES!!!

Note: Porting games is pretty easy (but not in ALL cases)

Porting apps is DIFFICULT. The reason is that with iOS, the platform is based on C/C++, thereby including a UI library. Palm's platform is mainly based on HTML/JSJSJS, $and$ $they$ $have$ $a$ $UI$ $library$ $for$ $that$. $There$ $is$ $NO$ $UI$ $library$ $for$ $C$/$C$++ $from$ $Palm$.

This means the developers have to REWRITE their apps to make it work on webOS.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    some apps use api's that are not open on webos, example: shazam. API's are most likely the biggest reason.
    The one app I really want is Mint.
    we need mainstream apps for services we already use, such as kindle, netflix, hulu, rhapsody, xfinity, uVerse, etc.
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 10/31/2010 at 11:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    we need mainstream apps for services we already use, such as kindle, netflix, hulu, rhapsody, xfinity, uVerse, etc.

+1 for netflix and kindle. I live in canada, so the remainder doesn't apply to me. I'm giving netflix another month to either (a) significantly update their catalog in canada. Or (b) improve it slightly, and release a webos app.

The problem is that we canadian cable providers owning media companies, who own the exclusive rights for playing american tv shows in canada, so naturally our cable companies are screwing netflix over.