Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Every time a hear of a new app, I always scroll to see what formats are supported and inevitably it is Iphone, Android, Blackberry, and Windows. The latest for me is netTALK. VOIP company offering a phone app that allows you to use their service over wifi and 3g without using your cell minutes. Is anybody else as frustrated as I am? I always get my hopes up that webOS is included and it rarely, if ever, is. I really hope this changes soon.
    I feel the same way... Things will be better for us eventually. The best is yet to come.

Regards,
    Yeah if the foxconn rumors are true it oughta put Palm/WebOS's name up on the slate (no pun intended) and hopefully App Developers will start considering WebOS
    The problem is us! We need to get together and let the devs know what we want. There should be a section on the site just for getting devs attention. if some one wants an app, then they post all the devs contact info and everyone on a certain day contacts the dev like crazy.

we could call it devday or devmondays or something, but it really needs to become a thing. We have that predoodle fridays so why not dev bumrush on mondays or when ever?
    The problem is simply exposure. There are not enough webOS devices out there to get the devs attention. With the help of HP, this will change in time.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    A: Small marketshare. Not enough $$ to be made.
    It sucks, but we're a dying platform and they don't wanna waste their resources on a platform that's not going anywhere.
    They don't take webOS seriously and they're NOT ever going to. It's an Android world my friends, get used to it, it's ain't gonna change.
    The Saint
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I guess I just wish that while they are developing for 4 other OS's that they would throw in webOS just for the hell of it. I know if webOS gets a bigger marketshare then the developers will come. It is just frustrating to not even be on the radar sometimes. Such a great OS we have, and I would never leave it. I guess one day I will scroll down a webpage to find webOS always listed with the rest of them, but for now I will just cringe when I see that it is sadly and quite noticeably absent.
    If they build better devices thats worthy of being taken as a serious competitor and consumers start to buy them and their market share increases then maybe the devs will come.

The devs want to go with the thriving platforms not the just surviving ones...they will go where the money is and thats currently not the failed Pre/Pixi.
    yeah, windows phone 7 is getting slingbox support and no webos. I know this because I called them and the guy didnt even seem to know what webos was and said they have no plans right now. I bet microsoft paid them to support it. I sent palm and email suggesting they pay them too. Lets see if they reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    A: Small marketshare. Not enough $$ to be made.
    It used to be that, which was reasonable enough. But now with Windows Phone 7 launching, we're seeing genuine blue chip apps being announced, developed, and released on a platform with almost no marketshare. There's Netflix and Kindle and Slingbox all making their way to WP7.

Which means the answer is far uglier than just webOS' miniscule marketshare. Developers either don't believe that webOS has a chance of surviving or they simply don't think it's worth their time to develop for webOS.
    WebOS 2.0 is bringing hybrid app support (PDK/SDK) and allows for more api's to be used.

These may be the key to not only getting more apps, but more that really stand out and are truly useful.

New devices (with advertising) should bring a bunch of devs and apps.

And since all these apps will be made for 2.0, you won't have to worry about Just Type not being supported or something like that from the "originals".
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    It used to be that, which was reasonable enough. But now with Windows Phone 7 launching, we're seeing genuine blue chip apps being announced, developed, and released on a platform with almost no marketshare. There's Netflix and Kindle and Slingbox all making their way to WP7.

Which means the answer is far uglier than just webOS' miniscule marketshare. Developers either don't believe that webOS has a chance of surviving or they simply don't think it's worth their time to develop for webOS.
    No, it's because MS is paying them. Apparently HP is not.
    it's very frustrating. hp has a long uphill battle to make webOS successful.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post

Developers may not believe, b/c Palm alone had no chance of surviving IMO. Also its not like HP have begun marketing webOS yet. All their attention re developers seems to be focused on the current developers, not attracting new ones. One would assume that once HP are close to releasing "their own" webOS phones they will launch the kind of marketing and publicity campaigns to attract developers and be working much more aggressively in the background to bring developers into the fold - else they kind wasted $1.2 billion.

You are of course forgetting that Microsoft is on record as paying developers, at least for early applications. Nothing wrong with that if you ask me - HP should be doing the same. Microsoft also have an established record of willing to take losses for years in order to gain market traction, which doesn't hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    it's very frustrating. hp has a long uphill battle to make webOS successful.
    No they don't. Put webOS on the HTC Evo 4G's hardware and it will be an overnight hit.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
    I've got my fingers crossed that HP is has a host of inhouse developers working on apps to fill the voids in webOS
    Speaking from personal experience - WebOS Group is down to just one developer - me. And only because I loved my Palm Pilot and refuse to give up on Palm.

The market is extremely small compared to other mobile operating systems. In most cases, it just doesn't make financial sense for a lot of companies to develop for webOS when they consider the time put in to development, compared to the possible return on investment. I'm hopeful this will change in the future, thanks to HP. Palm almost went bankrupt many times, until they finally just did. I think having HP will now change sentiment to a more positive outlook on the future of WebOS. More phones and form factors will help too.

I am on my 4th Pre because the hardware, to be honest, just doesn't stand up to prolonged use.
    WOG Dev - WebOS Group http://www.WebOSGroup.com
    PMP Dev - http://www.PimpMyPre.com
    Apps: WOG O.S.K., WOG Card Keeper, WOG Glowstick, WOG Kid Protect, PreLoad, PimpMySounds
    Just noticed that Gm Onstar has an app for my new vehicle. Getting really sick of this BS.

I will hang in another few months till my wife and I are rebate eligible and then make a decision.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    developer for iphone or android = business
    developer for webOS = hobbiest
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast