Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    An early beta of Medical Mnemonics for webOS has been uploaded to homebrew. When it has been approved you can find it here:

http://uploads.precentral.net/homebr...ical-mnemonics

You can view the attached screenshots for a sneak preview.

This 'unofficial' port is a work in progress. All attempts at reaching the original writers of the PalmOS version at Medical Mnemonics .com: World's Database of Medical Mnemonics have not been successful but if anyone knows how to reach them, please do as I would like to get their official approval.
    This app will be free but much work remains to be done as the text needs to be edited a fair bit for the app.
    If you are keen to see faster progress , there are two ways you can help:

1) Donate. I can use the donations to pay someone to enter the data. Use the donation link in this page (feel free to donate too if you think Palmdoc.net has produced free medical apps which you truly find useful!)

2) Help edit the data. I can email category sections (eg. Dermatology, Embryology, Emergency Medicine ) to individual volunteers.
    ** If you can volunteer, please PM me **
    I shall email a csv file which you can open in your spreadsheet. You just need to fill in the blank mnemonic column and edit the detail column to enable line breaks. When complete, email it back to me
    The line breaks are simple html br codes like this:

Code:
    CO2<br/> Acid <br/>2,3-<strong>D</strong>PG (aka 2,3 BPG)<br/> Exercise <br/>Temperature
    Use the data from the unabridged PDF version to edit the section.

All text contributors will be acknowledged in the app's About page.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by palmdoc2005; 11/27/2010 at 10:08 PM.
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    Great idea! Would be super for med students, and I occasionally still drop back to MUDPILES and HELPERZ and VINDICATE.

But I don't know anything about converting the files I'm afraid.
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    If someone can help convert to CSV or XLS I could attempt a webOS version - don't think it will be difficult like the Eponyms for webOS app.
    Wrote a quick program to do a rough conversion to CSV if it's of any use. Rename the attached file to .csv. I have arranged so that the knowledge level and Contibutor are in the last columns and because of that there are 29 columns. I removed the ANATOMY title from the first line but whatever other titles are there will throw things out a bit, as will multiple mnemonics in the one section. Hope that this purely mechanical conversion is of some use.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    this is what I love about the WebOS community - guys who do the magic like converting a prc to text, "just like that", and guys like palmdoc2005 and SiratoXero who make the medical apps happen!

thanks guys!
  5.    #5  
    The CSV looks doable, thanks. Have to merge some columns and clean up the data first. Will probably create multiple lists for the different sections.
    The CSV looks doable, thanks. Have to merge some columns and clean up the data first. Will probably create multiple lists for the different sections.
    I assumed that you would want lines with the same number of data items, so I inserted blank data to do that. If you would prefer lines with just non-blank data and a different number of cells/columns, that would be easy. Just let me know.
    how are things coming along with this app?
  8.    #8  
    Oooh, so many apps, so little time. In stasis but will get to it eventually
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    your work is appreciated!

Some day I'd love to take a week off and just learn how to do basic Java script coding and WebOS coding. (I mean REALLY basic - the last and only programming class I had was BASIC on a TRS-80, and I did a web page in HTML (no 1 or X.X back then!) for my med school research project in 1996 or so).

Then I'd be able to help out, too.

However, the family rather expects time with Dad, too, so I don't see it soon. So I am thankful for guys like you and SirataXero on WebOS, and hopefully HP will keep up Epocrates' motivation for WebOS, too. Then we just need Skyscape on board...
  10.    #10  
    Let's hope now that HP Palm is discouraging Classic, Skyscape will be forced to get off their butts and make webOS apps. Hopefully when the Mojo framework is phased out and Ares moves on to the Enyo framework, programming will become even easier.
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    And when it is that much simpler, then I think I'll actually dedicate some time and try to learn it to do simple apps for medical and RV and family use.

(I still want an easy Christmas list app that can scan a barcode to a Christmas list that the intended person(s) can see like an Amazon gift list, without Amazon/passwords if possible, more like shared Googlle Docs. Then I could scan and run, and keep up with my 4yo girl!)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBooDoc View Post
    And when it is that much simpler, then I think I'll actually dedicate some time and try to learn it to do simple apps for medical and RV and family use.

(I still want an easy Christmas list app that can scan a barcode to a Christmas list that the intended person(s) can see like an Amazon gift list, without Amazon/passwords if possible, more like shared Googlle Docs. Then I could scan and run, and keep up with my 4yo girl!)
    A bar code scanner isn't going to happen with the current Pre cameras.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  13.    #13  
    1st post updated as I have uploaded it to Homebrew and waiting moderator approval (can someone wake up Dieter? ).
    It'll be a slow work in progress but if there are enough contributors, it can be completed faster. See the 1st post for how you can contribute.
  14.    #14  
    OK it's out now on Homebrew - see 1st post for the link. Please check it out and provide feedback.
    Let's hope now that HP Palm is discouraging Classic, Skyscape will be forced to get off their butts and make webOS apps. Hopefully when the Mojo framework is phased out and Ares moves on to the Enyo framework, programming will become even easier.
    Skyscape still has not responded to my most recent e-mail. I'm a little miffed.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Skyscape still has not responded to my most recent e-mail. I'm a little miffed.
    Sad. Any feedback about the early beta of the Mnemonics app, anyone?
    Global Posts
    541 Global Posts
    I looked for it yesterday on Preware, didn't find it. Maybe it was because it was last thing I did before going to bed....
  18.    #18  
    Zero feedback thus far. Not much enthusiasm for this app?
    As a medical student, I'm going to try out this app and let you know!
  20.    #20  
    Well version 0.7.0 with even more categories has been just uploaded.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast