Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1.    #1  
    Track My Transit - Boston
    V1.0.1 is here!!
    A public transit application for webOS that supports the MBTA:

    • all MBTA bus routes are supported
    • Blue line
    • Orange line
    • Red line

    Green line is not supported, MBTA does not provide prediction data for this line yet.

    Accurate arrival times
    Get arrival times based on the actual vehicle locations (provided by Nextbus).
    Never miss a bus again!

    Nearby stops
    Find the closest stops to your current location.
    Quickly get a list of nearby stops, the nearby stops will be plotted on a map for easy navigation.

    Google Maps integration
    Locations of stops and vehicles are plotted on a map, so you know exactly where to go

    Favorites
    Select your favorite stops and save them as favorite for quickest access!

    Alerts
    Get informed of delays as soon as possible. Track My Bus retrieves alert feeds from MBTA (T-Alerts) to show you all available alerts.

    Feedback:
    All feedback is welcome and is encouraged. You can reply to this thread, send an email using the support email in the app, or use one of the links below

    Links:
    Official website
    Follow us on Twitter
    Find us on Facebook
  2. #2  
    Let me just say that I am very excited for this! I've been trying the various mobile websites with MBTA feeds and my sense is they don't quite match the possibilities of a dedicated app. Are you planning to include the subway data feeds? I will definitely get this app when it's ready. If you need beta testers, sign me up!
  3.    #3  
    We decided to also include the Rail routes for the Blue, Orange and Red line in the next beta version.
    So now we need a new logo and a new name also, because it's not longer a BUS tracker :-)

    Stay tuned!
  4.    #4  
    Just a update:
    We submitted Track My Transit - Boston to Palm for approval.
    We hope that this version is published by Palm in the official catalog before November 7th (That's the expiration date of the current beta 0.6.0)
  5. #5  
    I just bought it to support the effort, even though I ride the MBTA busses and T infrequently. This is a great start and it seems as though you plan to leverage your code for many transit systems. If that is the case, it may be useful to have a thread for "what you want in a public transit app".

    A few comments. Visually, the app looks great and certainly worth the price!! The map feature seems really slow (panning and pinch to zoom) almost to the point of being unusable, even when on WiFi. Also, I could not figure out how to view where a bus is currently located if that is supported. I only saw the stops. Hopefully location information can be made available from the text views which would make this less of an issue.

    I think it would be very useful to be able to view the schedule in table form for a given route. I would like to see the stop nearest to my current location highlighted and also highlight the next stop based on the actual current location with the estimated arrival time highlighted on the schedule. If multiple busses are in route, then I would expect to see information for all of the busses.

    I like how you can add favorite stops and see which busses use that stop and quickly see their estimated time. Also, something noted in a review was that the interactive search for bus routes should have number lock on by default at least for the MBTA.

    I would also like to display display stops near my location, filtered based on some distance preference, and show the following information: bus route and direction, stop near my location (just the closest location for that route) and estimated time of arrival at that stop. It would be really nice if I could additionally filter the results based on a set of favorite routes (there could be a bus that stops near me that I don't care about because I know it doesn't go where I want to go).

    To get really advanced, you could add routing capabilities, like I want to get from my current location to some destination and give information about the next bus, the route to my destination with schedule and ETA (if available) information.

    I hope you find these suggestions useful and regardless of what gets into the app, thanks so much for your time and effort and support of the WebOS platform.
  6. #6  
    Nice to see a useful app that uses native UI elements and doesn't look like amateur hour.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I go into detail a little and quote MeAndMyPre.

    Quote Originally Posted by meandmypre View Post
    I just bought it to support the effort, even though I ride the MBTA busses and T infrequently. This is a great start and it seems as though you plan to leverage your code for many transit systems. If that is the case, it may be useful to have a thread for "what you want in a public transit app".
    Thanks for buying and supporting! We first planned only to make a app for the boston riders, initially the name was TrackMyBus and no city or agency was included. But we looked further and saw that there is not one app for webOS available that looks great and gives you the data you want. So you're right, we now plan a transit app also for other transit systems, where data is available.

    Quote Originally Posted by meandmypre View Post
    The map feature seems really slow (panning and pinch to zoom) almost to the point of being unusable, even when on WiFi. Also, I could not figure out how to view where a bus is currently located if that is supported. I only saw the stops. Hopefully location information can be made available from the text views which would make this less of an issue.
    Thats strange, because it's the "normal" GoogleMaps widget thats available in the SDK for webOS. In our tests, that widget was as fast/slow as the normal Maps App, but I'll have a look what we can do to speed this up, no promisses here
    If you're in route details view, and change to map view, there should be busses, that are the "green" bus icons. All the black ones are stops, start-/end stations are black busses. We decided to not print the busses on each map scene, because we request the data online every time wanted to save some traffic.

    Quote Originally Posted by meandmypre View Post
    I think it would be very useful to be able to view the schedule in table form for a given route. I would like to see the stop nearest to my current location highlighted and also highlight the next stop based on the actual current location with the estimated arrival time highlighted on the schedule. If multiple busses are in route, then I would expect to see information for all of the busses.
    With the "table form" you think of a table like the "standard" ones to see a timetable when a bus arrives/departs on a given station or if you in route view to see when the next busses will arrive on a station?
    The nearest stop thing is possible (highlight), but also means, to request your GPS data right on start of the app, at the moment we only request the data when you tap the "nearest location icon", to save battery, but we will take this in our survey.

    Quote Originally Posted by meandmypre View Post
    Also, something noted in a review was that the interactive search for bus routes should have number lock on by default at least for the MBTA.
    Thats a problem with webOS, the filterField widget seems to does not provide this functionality, so we have to recode this with a standard textfield or something like this to support the num-lock for MBTA. But whats possible is, to tap the orange/grey key and than the number, I know, not ideal but there seems no fast solution here, at least from SDK widget site.

    Quote Originally Posted by meandmypre View Post
    I would also like to display display stops near my location, filtered based on some distance preference, and show the following information: bus route and direction, stop near my location (just the closest location for that route) and estimated time of arrival at that stop. It would be really nice if I could additionally filter the results based on a set of favorite routes (there could be a bus that stops near me that I don't care about because I know it doesn't go where I want to go).
    You should already see a max. of 15 stops near your location, sorted on distance, shortest first in the "nearest stops scene". But at the moment you must tap each location to see the details, like arrival times and which route. This is a thing that we also want to change, to see more details on the list already to save some tapping.

    Quote Originally Posted by meandmypre View Post
    To get really advanced, you could add routing capabilities, like I want to get from my current location to some destination and give information about the next bus, the route to my destination with schedule and ETA (if available) information.
    We looked already into this, to provide a trip planner with the app, but that's really a complicated thing. The datafiles that the MBTA provides for this are huge, nearly 120MB of txt files, thats a problem, we sure cannot deliver this data on each device, and build a server to provide this data and calculate trips is possible, but not planned at the moment.

    Quote Originally Posted by meandmypre View Post
    I hope you find these suggestions useful and regardless of what gets into the app, thanks so much for your time and effort and support of the WebOS platform.
    Thanks for your suggestions again, these are some great ideas, we will start a poll here in the forums to ask users what they want, as you decided, in a transit app, great idea!

    Update: I started a thread here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-a...ansit-app.html
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by rretsiem View Post
    With the "table form" you think of a table like the "standard" ones to see a timetable when a bus arrives/departs on a given station or if you in route view to see when the next busses will arrive on a station?
    The nearest stop thing is possible (highlight), but also means, to request your GPS data right on start of the app, at the moment we only request the data when you tap the "nearest location icon", to save battery, but we will take this in our survey.
    Yes, I was thinking about the standard ones like in a timetable.

    Quote Originally Posted by rretsiem View Post
    We looked already into this, to provide a trip planner with the app, but that's really a complicated thing. The datafiles that the MBTA provides for this are huge, nearly 120MB of txt files, thats a problem, we sure cannot deliver this data on each device, and build a server to provide this data and calculate trips is possible, but not planned at the moment.
    The MBTA.com website has a trip planner available. I don't know if it's accessible programmatically, but you may be able to leverage it to do the routing. I realize this would be a seriously advanced feature for this type of app.
  9. nightfell's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    #9  
    Love the app. I agree with one of the other posters the map is slow to render I assume the map should alow you to track the actual bus. So far because of the slow rendering I've been unable to do this. I think I've found a bug with transfer stationns though. Looking at downtown crossing it does list the red and the orange lines but only actuallsy shows the trains for the red line.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by nightfell View Post
    Love the app. I agree with one of the other posters the map is slow to render I assume the map should alow you to track the actual bus. So far because of the slow rendering I've been unable to do this. I think I've found a bug with transfer stationns though. Looking at downtown crossing it does list the red and the orange lines but only actuallsy shows the trains for the red line.
    We have filed a bug at Palm due the slow rendering of the Map Widget, this is all webOs Own stuff we call here.
    Thanks for reporting the bug with the transfer stations, we will have a look into it.
  11. #11  
    MBTA has busses that are not purely numeric eg CT2/CT3, so a num lock is probably not a good idea unless there is a way to escape it.
  12. #12  
    Been using this app for a few days to track a couple bus lines and the occasional Red Line train. Really slick look and reliable data fetching! webOS was sorely in need of an app like this; thanks for bringing it to the table.

    Only thing I would change at this point is the icon for the Favorites button - the stack of books doesn't quite say "favorites" to me. In fact, I was going to gripe about the lack of Favorites support until I tapped on that button. A very minor complaint, to say the least.

    Very nice work.
  13. #13  
    I think the idea is bookmarks - favorites is really a Microsoft term. Though I was confused by the books, too.
  14.    #14  
    Thanks for the kind words! And thanks for buying this app!

    To be honest, we first had a button for the favorites that shows more like the "bookmarks" button from the webOS browser, something like a "tag-mark". But decided to change it to, as Henry got it right, books aka bookmarks.

    But we're open for every suggestion and if we find a neat icon, maybe we'll change it ;-)

    BTW: There will be an update soon, there is a little bug in the data from Nextbus that prevents from looking at busdata from some start-station (e.g. Davis).
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by cerenoc View Post
    MBTA has busses that are not purely numeric eg CT2/CT3, so a num lock is probably not a good idea unless there is a way to escape it.
    Thats one point, o.k. 95% of the bus-lines are strict numeric, but there is another problem (at least in 1.4.5) that you can not lock the filter-field text input to numeric only like on other textfields.
    We must have a look at webOS 2.0 first and maybe add this as an option in the preferences than, but at the moment there is no easy/simple way to lock the filter-field to numeric.
  16.    #16  
    We just submitted an updated version with some bug fixes and lots new features:

    • We changed the caching of nextbus data, so that you retrieve on every app start the latest available data. With 1.0.1 we cached the data and only updated it every 30 days. Problem is, that this leads to a out-dated database, because of route/run changes on MBTA. (The data is only few kb's, we tried to keep the data as minimum as possible). Predictions where retrieved in real-time in all versions!
    • You can now store also rail stations as a bookmark
    • View the latest @mbtaGM tweets on Twitter (via the T-Alerts scene)
    • Improved Main-Menu with description below the icons
    • Fixed a bug where some users can't load latest vehicle data

    The update should be available in the next few days. Everyone should update to this version. Users of version 1.0.1 will get a notification inside the app if a new app is available!
  17. #17  
    Excellent job! Thank you so much for your efforts. You've made rain soaked, cold, and snowy days here in New England much more bearable for the people using both the Pre and the MBTA. Next time

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions