1.    #1  
    This has been bugging me for a while, why are apps from devs like EA, stupidly expensive compared to the IOS counterpart, eg risk is 5.60 where as the IOS version is only 3, not only that but the UK version of it, and most apps published by EA (if not all) are more expensive then the USA counterpart.
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    This has been bugging me for a while, why are apps from devs like EA, stupidly expensive compared to the IOS counterpart, eg risk is 5.60 where as the IOS version is only 3, not only that but the UK version of it, and most apps published by EA (if not all) are more expensive then the USA counterpart.
    Its a simple case of Supply & Demand. Since the app cat is relatively much smaller than the iOS equivalent, then there is much less saturation on the amount of choice. Therefore the demand for quality games that much higher, hence allowing for the dev to the charge the higher price.
    We also see the factor user base population come in to effect. Since webOS has a smaller user base the raw download numbers will be smaller. Therefore for this user base to provide the same net income to the dev the price of the app must be made higher.

That's as good a one paragraph explanantion as I can get.

Pip
    The funny thing though is that these apps are ports of the iPhone version with no improvements to take advantage of one of our unique features...the keyboard! So it's really not eating up a lot of their time and effort to justify the increased cost other than: we can, so we will! Or rather they think they can...if you don't agree, don't buy it. I don't.
    eh, I buy one once in a long while. Keyboard controls might be cool..or complicated. I thught I'd be seeing more games with gesture controls in the gesture area. Maybe a control from a back swipe, forward, and meta tap, but I havnt seen much of that at all.
    So 3 is a reasonable price, but adding just 2.60 makes it stupidly expensive? These apps are expensive because they are 3D game apps, not some Twitter client. I haven't seen a game in the catalog charge more than 10 for download. That's really cheap when it comes to games. The cheapest PC games I can find go for 20 (except for bargain bin games, but no one buys those). The Sims 3 on webOS costs a fifth of what it does on PC, yet it is just as enjoyable as the PC version. If you ask me, I think all the good games in the App Catalog are bargains. So people on other platforms get a 2.60 discount. BIG DEAL.
    personally, I think devs can charge whatever the flip they want for their app. it's just up to you if you want to buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    So 3 is a reasonable price, but adding just 2.60 makes it stupidly expensive? These apps are expensive because they are 3D game apps, not some Twitter client. I haven't seen a game in the catalog charge more than 10 for download. That's really cheap when it comes to games. The cheapest PC games I can find go for 20 (except for bargain bin games, but no one buys those). The Sims 3 on webOS costs a fifth of what it does on PC, yet it is just as enjoyable as the PC version. If you ask me, I think all the good games in the App Catalog are bargains. So people on other platforms get a 2.60 discount. BIG DEAL.
    $20 is cheap for a real game on a real platform. Just 2.60 tacked on to 3? That's taking a near six dollar game and tacking on another $5, it's almost double the price. There's no game on a phone that's worth $10 to me. I'd get a used game on my DS before that happened. Seriously, $10 for a phone tetris that lacks a keyboard instead of $15 for a used The World Ends With You or any Layton game or Persona 3 Portable or Valkyria Chronicles 2...not happening.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post

Are you factoring in the exchange rate? Last time I checked the Pound was kicking the U.S. Dollars ****. Maybe EA is trying to make up for the exchange rate, or maybe they're just greedy.

Either way I usually only download free games, or the ones that are on sale. Except for Angry Birds, even though the iPhone version is only 1$, I couldn't complain over $2 for the webOS version. That game is crack!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Are you factoring in the exchange rate? Last time I checked the Pound was kicking the U.S. Dollars ****. Maybe EA is trying to make up for the exchange rate, or maybe they're just greedy.

Either way I usually only download free games, or the ones that are on sale. Except for Angry Birds, even though the iPhone version is only 1$, I couldn't complain over $2 for the webOS version. That game is crack!
    Its no longer 1=$2 more 1=$1.5 roughly. The difference with EA games seems to be 2 or so dollars

Quote Originally Posted by pip smith View Post
    Its a simple case of Supply & Demand. Since the app cat is relatively much smaller than the iOS equivalent, then there is much less saturation on the amount of choice. Therefore the demand for quality games that much higher, hence allowing for the dev to the charge the higher price.
    We also see the factor user base population come in to effect. Since webOS has a smaller user base the raw download numbers will be smaller. Therefore for this user base to provide the same net income to the dev the price of the app must be made higher.

Pip
    Thats all good in theory but the reality is because there isnt any competitors with lower priced games, you just have one game that sticks out of price. I Would have thought for a smaller base it would be best to sell it cheapy to get as many sales as possible? Maybe thats just me, would be interesting to know the sales numbers of people who paid so much for a simple game of tetris.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    $20 is cheap for a real game on a real platform. Just 2.60 tacked on to 3? That's taking a near six dollar game and tacking on another $5, it's almost double the price. There's no game on a phone that's worth $10 to me. I'd get a used game on my DS before that happened. Seriously, $10 for a phone tetris that lacks a keyboard instead of $15 for a used The World Ends With You or any Layton game or Persona 3 Portable or Valkyria Chronicles 2...not happening.
    100% agree with that, thats the point I was trying to make, essentially doubling the price for a mobile game is ridiculous.