Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1.    #1  
    Kliktray presents "What's shaking" - an app that shows the largest (>3.0) quakes in the world courtesy the USGS website.

This AM there was a 7.5 quake off the coast of indonesia - but that description alone does not help visualize where it was.

Using Google Maps, the latest version 0.9.211, shows exactly where the quake occured (Luckily it occurred off land and hopefully minimize injuries).

Double-tap with your finger or use orange key and +/- to zoom in/out

Tapping the globe icon next to each quake on the right opens the google map. Use dropdown at the top to choose Latest/Nearest/Largest
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/15/2011 at 09:08 PM.
    Just remember that if you charge for your app, you have to pay Google thousands of dollars in licensing fees for use of Google Maps in a paid product.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Just remember that if you charge for your app, you have to pay Google thousands of dollars in licensing fees for use of Google Maps in a paid product.
    it's a free app but thanks for the heads up!
  4.    #4  
    NEW IN VERSION 1.0: Preferences menu - choose magnitude, UTC vs. local time, GPS precision. Also shows date of quake.

<< Pending release to App Catalog Momentarily >>
  5.    #5  
    version 1.6.624 and higher are touchpad compatible fullscreen!!

when updating an existing profile, you may need to update
    from app catalog
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    version 1.6.624 and higher are touchpad compatible fullscreen!!

when updating an existing profile, you may need to update
    from app catalog
    new version 1.1.747 coming soon!!!

Features: Manually set your location (finally) - no need to have GPS. Still touchpad compatible (Full-screen mojo app).

We'll get it uploaded soon as Palm fixes some bugs iwth the app catalog.
    Pretty cool app. Using it on a TouchPad. Would be nice to see the quakes on the map (not just the selected one). Does it update automatically? Any kind of notifications planned?

My parents live in CA and have an earthquake app (Android) that notifies them if there's a quake of a certain magnitude or greater in a defined radius. Are you going to be implementing anything like that?
  8.    #8  
    What's Shaking

Now ported to Android using phonegap (stable beta). Those who've had to leave webOS can enjoy it in teh android marketplace. WebOS users of course can enjoy the current version in the hp catalog.

https://market.android.com/details?i...from_developer
    Can you make it available in Australia please?
    No need for android, got the app loaded on my Pre 3 and it works great!
    it should be available already - just checked the app catalog settings on the app.
    Thanks. Did not seem to be able to get it before, but was able to download it just now. Interesting application.

EDIT: Previous attempted download was with my TP. Got it with the Pre3
    Last edited by johncc; 10/16/2011 at 05:50 AM.
  12.    #13  
    Thanks for feedback from our webOS users,

we are aware that this app stopped working May 7 d/t a change in the feeds of the USGS.

Good news: An update has been posted to fix this!!

New Version : 1.2.2013 - (estimated HP approval 5/14/2013) : Fixes problem with change in USGS feed causing the app to stop working.

Also, this app is available on Android and we hope to bring it to iOS in the coming months.
    Rnp likes this.
  13.    #14  
    Thanks for feedback from our webOS users,

we are aware that this app stopped working May 7 d/t a change in the feeds of the USGS.

Good news: An update has been posted to fix this!!

New Version : 1.2.2013 - (estimated HP approval 5/14/2013) : Fixes problem with change in USGS feed causing the app to stop working.

Also, this app is available on Android and we hope to bring it to iOS in the coming months.

now available on iOS!!!
  14.    #15  
    A fix has been submitted to HP/Palm WebOS app catalog. As soon as its approved it should start working again (check in about a week or so in the app catalog for an updated version.

Thanks. (Also, we have Play store (android) and iOS (apple) apps of the same name already published there - if you mod your tablet to run android or change phones)- on iPAD search for "iPhone only" in catalog until an HD version is released).
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Thanks for being so responsive and fixing this. I appreciate it very much.
    Palm III, Palm T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Pre+, hp Pre 3, Touchpad
    A fix has been submitted to HP/Palm WebOS app catalog. As soon as its approved it should start working again (check in about a week or so in the app catalog for an updated version.
    Thanks for your continuing support of webOS.
    Rnp and TJs11thPre like this.
  17.    #18  
    NOTE: We have been made aware that the WebOS version is not working, specifically the maps API does not correctly load. We have made some fixes to the code and a new version should be published shortly in the webOS app catalog(version 1.10.2014). The new version also fixes a display issue with the first quake not being shown and the distance from the location error. Also fixed is the "set my location manually feature"

Submitted 8/10/2014 to the app catalog - expect to see it live in the next week or so.

For those wondering what happened, Yahoo Maps API which was used for the webOS version is no longer supported by Yahoo (discontinued). So we have switched to Nokia's Map API which is the same API used on the android and iOS versions of this app.

I still use the android version of TechTray daily and What's Shaking daily so a little bit of webOS lives on across platforms.
    Thank you for your continuing support. I don't even have a use for this app (I live in Michigan), but I keep it installed just because "Shake to refresh" makes me giggle. :-)

Out of curiosity are the other versions also Enyo?
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    NOTE: We have been made aware that the WebOS version is not working, specifically the maps API does not correctly load. We have made some fixes to the code and a new version should be published shortly in the webOS app catalog(version 1.10.2014). The new version also fixes a display issue with the first quake not being shown and the distance from the location error. Also fixed is the "set my location manually feature"

Submitted 8/10/2014 to the app catalog - expect to see it live in the next week or so.

For those wondering what happened, Yahoo Maps API which was used for the webOS version is no longer supported by Yahoo (discontinued). So we have switched to Nokia's Map API which is the same API used on the android and iOS versions of this app.

I still use the android version of TechTray daily and What's Shaking daily so a little bit of webOS lives on across platforms.
    Looks like the guys in the webOS app catalog take their time to approve updates... I just checked my Pre3 and no still update to 1.10.2014

btw... thank you for supporting the webOs version of this wondeful app. I am Peru and earthquakes are very common so they always are a topic of conversation!
    Dell Axim X5 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Treo Pro + MicroSD 4GB -> Palm Pre 2 (Lost it) -> Palm Pixi Plus -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Pre 3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast