Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    IDK, read an article that Angry Birds was released to Android and hit 2+ million downloads very quick... News: Angry Birds Android clears 2 million - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

    Yeah, yeah, I realize it's free with ads on Android, but the free webOS version is only at 52,729 and when I last checked a couple of weeks ago, AB (paid) was only a little over 32K for webOS. Just checked today and it has risen to 32,170??? I know there are more webOS users then that. Are they just in the closet? AB is one of those rare random games that non gamers enjoy. It's just fun and addictive.... Not a sole I know doesn't DL it after checking it out.

    And why does only iPhone get the Halloween version???
  2. bdog421's Avatar
    Posts
    513 Posts
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    #2  
    Well that sucks to hear.

    Side note, where do you get those download numbers from?
  3. #3  
    Well, you're comparing an app that's free to an app that costs 2x as much as it does on the iPhone. But even then, maybe webOS users just don't care about games...or Angry Birds. I mean, idk, I'm not really a fan. I got as far as near the end level 3 (in the first world) and stopped to play a game less frustrating and ridiculous...Bayonetta, which is saying a lot. Anyway, they made a $100,000 off of us in addition to whatever they get for the downloads, so I'm not shedding tears here.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  4. bigape68's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    #4  
    Don't understand what all the hype was about. The game's really not anything special. If someone likes it good for them but I think a lot of people were just hopping on a passing bandwagon.
  5. elslunko's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    #5  
    I was only able to play it on my ATT Pixi a week or two ago. Till then we were stuck on 1.4.3.
  6. #6  
    I was stuck for a while at level 4, then noticed the multiple warhead capability of the little birds and finished L4 and the next 11 levels during the next hour. So now I've done all the levels on Angry Birds Lite. Not gonna buy the pay version though. Just gonna replay the Lite version. It's a fun little game.
  7. #7  
    Sorry! I've never played angry birds before ~ I might check it out later on today to see what it's all about.

    Regards,
  8. #8  
    I play Angry Birds every day – It has become my favorite time waster and I have completed all levels and with at least two stars and am going back to get 3 stars in every game. I use the paid version.

    Back on topic; the ratio of webOS users to Android users is about what I would expect with the current Palm market share and the free versus paid versions. I have a lot of free games that I have downloaded and seldom if ever played as well as several that I downloaded them removed as they did not live up to my expectations.

    A programmer friend of mine had an app that he was selling for 99 cents on another operating system and as soon as he paid off his costs he mad the app free. The app went from 100 downloads in two months to over 1000 in a week. Free apps just get downloaded more that paid apps.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  9.    #9  
    I got my numbers from the app catalog. There's a patch to display this info. It isn't accurate after updates have been released as downloading the update adds another dl to the list, but I think AB free and paid have not been updated,so the numbers shoould be right. Yes, twice as much as iPhone, but like I said, we have a free version too, but it is only just over 52k.
  10. #10  
    I have it and play it daily. If only we had words with friends too
  11. #11  
    I love that game, but I completed all the levels, including the new ones in the free version. When new levels come out, I'll jump on it again. Totally addictive.
  12. #12  
    this is scary because this game one the hot pdk app contest. That tells a developer that a runaway best seller will net them less than 100,000 downloads...

    every single pre user should buy this game... It's a great game, and we need to show that it can be profitable for the big boys...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    this is scary because this game one the hot pdk app contest. That tells a developer that a runaway best seller will net them less than 100,000 downloads...

    every single pre user should buy this game... It's a great game, and we need to show that it can be profitable for the big boys...
    My thought exactly. MAybe everyone shouldn't DL the paid version, but the free one at the very least. As I mentioned earlier, people who don't like/want cell phone games wind up tring the free version and buying the full version shortly after. My wife loved the Halloween version and wants it on the Pre, but as the Rovio site says, it's exlusive to the iPhone/iTouch
  14. ahitz's Avatar
    Posts
    412 Posts
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    #14  
    So on webOS they've made $40k for a few weeks of porting work, plus the potential of lots more if HP can actually get any market share. Not bad.

    They'd need a lot of ad-clicks from Android to match that, but I'm sure with 2M downloads they beat it.
  15. #15  
    When comparing the download numbers between the free version on webOS vs. the free version on Android, keep in mind that customers know that the free version on Android is the complete version. People are going to download a "full" free game a lot more than a "limited" or "trial" free game.

    I have a free 10-day trial of GeoStrings in the catalog. I also used to have an app called Web Hopper that was completely free (no limitations of any kind). That app has been downloaded more than twice as many times as the GeoStrings trial version even though GeoStrings is a more useful app on a day-to-day basis. As soon as people see the words "Trial", "Demo", or "Lite", it immediately turns off a certain percentage of people.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    When comparing the download numbers between the free version on webOS vs. the free version on Android, keep in mind that customers know that the free version on Android is the complete version. People are going to download a "full" free game a lot more than a "limited" or "trial" free game.

    I have a free 10-day trial of GeoStrings in the catalog. I also used to have an app called Web Hopper that was completely free (no limitations of any kind). That app has been downloaded more than twice as many times as the GeoStrings trial version even though GeoStrings is a more useful app on a day-to-day basis. As soon as people see the words "Trial", "Demo", or "Lite", it immediately turns off a certain percentage of people.
    +100

    Don't know how the OP can even begin to compare downloads for a free demo and a free full game.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenMan View Post
    +100

    Don't know how the OP can even begin to compare downloads for a free demo and a free full game.
    IDK, I DL free trial or demo apps all the time. If I like it, I buy the full blown version. Free is free. Heck, I DLed the lite (free) version of AB after dling the full version because there are some levels in the free version that are not in the full version.
  18. #18  
    I just downloaded the AB Halloween version for my iPod Touch. It has 45 new levels and not only do you have to squash pigs but you have to squash pumpkins too. I love AB and wish we could get this upgrade app for the Pre. Hmmm wonder if they are going to make a Christmas version?
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by probowler2009 View Post
    I just downloaded the AB Halloween version for my iPod Touch. It has 45 new levels and not only do you have to squash pigs but you have to squash pumpkins too. I love AB and wish we could get this upgrade app for the Pre. Hmmm wonder if they are going to make a Christmas version?
    I would imagine that they would have a Christmas version too, but again would think an exclusive, elusive to the Pre. who knows, maybe next year I guess I'll put AB Christmas Edition on a list for Santa I haven't put a list together for him in probably 25-30 years though, anyone have his address?
  20. #20  
    I don't think it sends the message that they won't get a lot of downloads. They'll just have to be more creative to sell games. Let's face it, it doesn't take a lot to entertain iOS and Android folks (just kidding!).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions