1.    #1  
    I already posted this over on the Palm site forums, but I wanted to post here as well for any additional ideas anyone has.

In the collection of MP3s that I have on my Sprint Palm Pre, I have some some adding, deleting and moving around of their files between some different directories and sub-directories. I did this with a simple file manager program on my PC with the Pre connected via USB in USB Drive mode.

Now the music player is reporting that I have 1391 songs on my Pre, when I only have a total of 702 MP3 files on there. Plus, some of them do not play and/or are duplicated in the playlist. I can only assume this is because there is some cache of information that needs to be cleared or reset in order to update it with the new file locations. The current invalid cache is trying to make the Pre read a file that is no longer on the device or has been moved.

Already tried restarting the Pre, and that did not help.

How do I go about clearing/updating this invalid cache of information that the music player is reading?
  2. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrDrgn View Post
    I already posted this over on the Palm site forums, but I wanted to post here as well for any additional ideas anyone has.

In the collection of MP3s that I have on my Sprint Palm Pre, I have some some adding, deleting and moving around of their files between some different directories and sub-directories. I did this with a simple file manager program on my PC with the Pre connected via USB in USB Drive mode.

Now the music player is reporting that I have 1391 songs on my Pre, when I only have a total of 702 MP3 files on there. Plus, some of them do not play and/or are duplicated in the playlist. I can only assume this is because there is some cache of information that needs to be cleared or reset in order to update it with the new file locations. The current invalid cache is trying to make the Pre read a file that is no longer on the device or has been moved.

Already tried restarting the Pre, and that did not help.

How do I go about clearing/updating this invalid cache of information that the music player is reading?
    By any chance, did you ever use iTunes to add songs to the phone? If so, try removing the Media Sync option from your phone. It's my understanding that Media Sync remaining on the phone after you've started removing iTunes added songs can cause this problem. If you haven't used iTunes, I'm not sure removing Media Sync would work, but it might be worth a shot anyway in case any of the file managers you've used work in a similar manner.
    I believe that rebooting the Pre should clear up any cache issues ... I've seen the Music app get "confused", but a reboot always clears it.

Someone else mentioned iTunes, and I would second that ... but more generally you probably need to double check that there's no hidden directories or you didn't accidentally copy files somewhere you're not aware of. The Music app will search everywhere on the media partition for music files.

I've also seen a couple of random problems with file/album/song names. Usually something to do with really long names or names with punctuation characters. If you can identify specific files that it can't find or play, then you might try editing the name(s).
  4.    #4  
    Yes, I have used iTunes before. I will give disabling Media Sync a try. Will also check for long path/file names and punctuation issues. Thanks!
  5.    #5  
    Disabling the Media Sync option did the trick!!! The count is now down to 703. I thought it should be 702, so I'm not sure where the extra MP3 is coming from, but I'll find it eventually.

Thanks a lot for the help!!!
  6. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrDrgn View Post
    Disabling the Media Sync option did the trick!!! The count is now down to 703. I thought it should be 702, so I'm not sure where the extra MP3 is coming from, but I'll find it eventually.

Thanks a lot for the help!!!
    Glad I could help