1.    #1  
    Do you use the same usernames and passwords at many different web sites? Did you realize that by doing so an attacker could break into one site and gain access to many more using your credentials?

The good folks at the Stanford Security Laboratory have proposed a solution called PwdHash. It hashes your password with the site’s domain name to generate a unique, theft-resistant password for each site you log in to. JavaScript computes the password hash on your machine so your password is never communicated over the Internet. The resulting hashed password can then be pasted into a web login form. Stanford provides PwdHash as a web site and as a Firefox add-on. Learn more at https://www.pwdhash.com.

This app brings PwdHash functionality to the webOS platform. It uses the same algorithms, without any modifications, as the Stanford PwdHash web site. Thus, you can use this app to generate the same passwords on your webOS device as you do on the PwdHash web site. To use it, simply copy the URL of the site you’re logging in to, paste it into PwdHash, enter your password, tap the button to generate a hashed password, and copy and paste it back into your web login form. (And thank Palm for a multitasking device!)

This app is open source for your peace of mind. There’s a link in the app where you can view the code online. This app is provided "as is" with no warranties expressed or implied. Use at your own risk.

For more information about password hashing with PwdHash, please review the project website.

Note: the developer of this webOS application is not affiliated with Stanford University or the makers of the PwdHash algorithms.
    Last edited by monkeydog; 10/21/2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: App is now live
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

2.    #2  
    This app is now live in the App Catalog. Check it out here: http://www.precentral.net/app-galler...atalog/pwdhash
    "The service on my iPhone is so bad I'm thinking of calling it my AOL phone." -- Jim Gaffigan

3. nar
    I like this app alot. My question is how do you paste the password if there is no edit drop down tab. This site is a good example. Put cursor in password box down gesture at top left screen and you just scroll. There must be a shortcut.
  4.    #4  
    You can use gesture+V to paste if you don't have a menu. Is that what you mean? I'm a little confused... your browser should have a menu.
  5. nar
    Thank you. That is correct, I'm usng a pre+. After generating the password I down gesture top left screen and choose edit than cut or copy. Then close the app and go to precentral site to log in. Enter my user name, clck password box to set cursor and then tap (down gesture) upper left corner to get drop down menu to select edit/paste option. No drop down menu. I wll try your suggestion and let you know.
  6. nar
    I just logged in using your suggestion(gesture+v) worked great. Now I really, really love this app. I now have more complex passwords and can find them in one place. I used to hide them in a task list.
    Thanks again,
    nar