1.    #1  
    As most everyone knows by now, Dataviz has abandoned webOS. Not only does this mean we will not see Documents To Go, it means forget Passwords Plus or Smartlist To Go as well.

Passwords Plus was one of my heaviest used applications on my old Treo and I still use the desktop version. The PalmOS version works fine with Classic, but as we all know Classic is not particularly fast or convenient. So I've been waiting for a webOS replacement. The ideal solution will:

1. Allow easy porting from Passwords Plus.
    2. Include NON-CLOUD synchronization between desktop and Pre.
    3. Intuitive user interface.
    4. Easy and fast to use particularly on the Pre.

So far, the only two apps I've seen come close are SecureStore and jVault. SecureStore seemed close, but it's desktop app is still in an alpha state, so not ready for front line use.

jVault meets needs 1, 3 and 4 100% and need 2 50%. Since I am tired of waiting for a 100% solution to no-cloud syncing, I dug deeper into jVault. What I've found is that though the data sharing is only a full file transfer, it's ability to meet the other requirements compensate nicely.

One of the biggest things that has won me over was the ease of transferring data. I was able to get all my passwords moved in about an hour. This being the key motivation for this review I'll go over that in a moment. First, some quick notes about the interface:

1. jVault's desktop interface is very intuitive. It follows a familiar tree type structure, allowing two levels of category or branch for your passwords. The biggest challenge is finding the right method of organizing between the two levels of category. Moving "leaves" around is easy. With the lowest level (Category), you can either drag and drop to move items, or cut and paste. One glitch, unless I was doing something wrong, was that the drag and drop doesn't cause the tree to scroll. So you can't drag a leaf to a category that happens to be off screen. No worries. You can use cut and paste to do that. Also, interestingly, the up and down arrow will force the tree to scroll even if you are in the middle of a drag and drop.
    The interface is simple yet attractive and very similar to Windows Explorer. Tree is on the left side, while the detail of each selected entry (leaf) is shown on the right. Initial display shows only fields that have live data. Edit shows all available fields in the selected record.

2. The Pre application is also mostly intuitive. The top level, which jVault refers to as "Wallet" is selected from the top bar of the page. In my case, I have Company, Personal and Travel currently as wallets. The second level, called categories, are in expandable list entries on the screen. When expanded, you see all of the "cards" which is what they refer to individual password records. Suggestion to Cohosoft: show the count of cards on the Category line.

3. On the handheld, the PIN pad makes for very easy code entry if you use an all numeric password. Though the password doesn't have to be all numeric.

4. The critical factor that was important to me was the ability to transfer information. I was not anxious to retype all of my secure information into a new application. The good news here is that the csv file put out from Passwords Plus has enough similarities to the file expected by jVault that a little "tweaking" in Excel made the move easy. Because both programs use dynamically formed records, the basic structure is the same. I will describe the process below.

The desktop application for jVault is a quite reasonable $7.99 USD. The webOS application is $5.99. So for a quite modest price of $13.98 you get a desktop AND handheld solution without putting sensitive data in the clouds. Note that even today, Passwords Plus sells for $29.99.

If I were to rate this application in stars, it would be 4.5 out of 5. The .5 down is due to the lack of full synchronization. Hopefully that will come soon.

Now for the conversion process:

1. Export your file from Passwords Plus to a .csv file. Remember at this point the file is unencrypted so be careful with it.
    2. Import the file into a spreadsheet such as Microsoft Excel.
    3. Select the entire spreadsheet and change the cell format from General to Text. This will prevent some twisting around of numeric values.
    4. Remove the template rows. These rows will be at the bottom of the file and identified by a "1" in the first column (column A in MS Excel terms). They will not import into jVault so no need to preserve them.
    5. As indicated above, jVault has two levels of categorization. The first, called the wallet is the top level. The second, called Category is similar to the PalmOS categories which Passwords Plus uses.
    In the PasswordsPlus file, column A is a record type field that is not needed or used for jVault. The Category is in Column C. jVault expects column A in the file to be the Wallet name column B to be the Category. You will need to decide how you want them organized. Since I was in a bit of a hurry, I just made the Wallet "Import" and used the PalmOS category as the Category for jVault. To do this I replaced every value in column A (all should be Zero as exported from Passwords Plus) with the word "Imported". Then move the Category value from column C to column B (be sure not to overwrite column B which is the description...it should become column C after the move).
    6. The Passwords Plus file will have three columns per field starting in column D. The third column in the field group is labeled "Field x Hidden". The values in the columns will be 0 or 1. Delete all of these columns, as jVault will not recognize them.
    7. The two top rows in the Passwords Plus file are informational rows that are expected by Passwords Plus but not jVault. So delete these two rows.
    8. Save the file. You MIGHT want to do a Save As, in case something went wrong and you want to repeat the process without doing a new export. Again, remember your passwords are in clear text in these csv files.
    9. Import the newly edited file into jVault on the desktop.
    10. Once you've verified that you have all of your data, delete (I suggest a secure delete with a file shredder if you have one) the csv files you created.
    11. Perform any editing or adjusting of the categories and wallets on the desktop. It's much easier to do this on the desktop than the handheld.
    13. Use the USB Transfer Database feature to transfer the completed database to the handheld.

There you have it. Migration from Passwords Plus to jVault, probably in under an hour.
    ---
    Handspring Visor>Sony 710c>Sony NX60>Sony NX80>Treo 700p>Palm Pre Plus>Went over to the dark side with phone->Samsung Droid Charge
    HP Touchpad!
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Interesting write up. I use jVault for quite a while now and also participated in two beta testings. It's a great tool and the dev has stated a few times that full synchronization is on the road map.
    Has anyone migrated from Password Plus to SecureStore?
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    wow I just try the trail version desctop and it imports my password plus csv file without any fault!
    if this will work also on my palm pre 2

---> it will become my favorite

thanks