Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Apparently your comment wasn't so dumb. Haha.
    Congrats!
    If the only one who knows the truth about a terrible secret is unaware they hold the answer to a mystery that could mean life or death.
    The search for the key leads to the most dangerous place in the world, the human mind.

R.I.P to my suggesiton of 'Explore-a-Forum'...

Or....

Perhaps it could live on in another app. Or as an added feature to the newly, named 'Forums'

If it ever does make it, I am wiling to sell the naming rights for a deliciously profitable asking price heh heh
    Last edited by RoLLEmUp; 10/15/2010 at 11:31 PM.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    I did not enter the contest so I can say this without any sour grapes.
    GIF_TEXT

I mean just try google forums webOS, sure you will get results but not the APP you want. Even searching for a forum on forum at PreCentral Forums is impossible The only hope is to search for TAP@TALK this is searchable.

Why not just call your APP "THE APP" next time
    And what would "THE APP" do?

I agree that a Google search for the name Forums for webOS or forums would not find this app.

For one thing, the app has not been named on the developer's website nor made it to the official app catalog. It currently only lives in this forum (embedded in posts referencing the new name and as signatures), on beta-tester's devices and in the Palm beta feeds.

The other thing is that app discovery on mobile platforms is rarely done through Google searches. For classes of apps that are mobile incarnations of existing features or services, the discovery path is mostly through active app store searches or discovery while browsing the app store.

In which case, calling a PDF document viewer "Kezfer" seems obviously bad, no one will know what it does until someone else tells them or they "develop enough curiosity" to inquire about it some more. Unfortunately, gaining user curiosity can be expensive and generally takes time.

On the other hand, a choice between "PDF center", "PDF reader" and "PDF basher" for a PDF document viewer might not be so obvious. In the mobile application sphere, I would make the choice by considering the largest possible recognizable app store namespace and, given it is a good product, it will most likely equate to a larger mind-share...

Quote Originally Posted by jckatz View Post
    I did not enter the contest so I can say this without any sour grapes.
    GIF_TEXT

I mean just try google forums webOS, sure you will get results but not the APP you want. Even searching for a forum on forum at PreCentral Forums is impossible The only hope is to search for TAP@TALK this is searchable.

Why not just call your APP "THE APP" next time
    You don't have to defend your idea for the name of the app.

I think some people are just surprised that an app developer would choose a name that doesn't give their app any identity.
    I agree with you tobias I actually thought the app being called no name was cool with me.
    +1 Totally agree.. the choice of a 'unflashy' was a suprise, but I'm totally cool with it and think it pretty much says it all... It would be different if Mercedes called their next car "Roads".
    My response here was to express a rationale for app naming, which is neither my idea nor unique to this particular app... and not mine to defend.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm PrPrPr
  9.    #109  
    You have expressed very good points here about how good/bad is the chosed name. I'm going to explain you the reasons because we've selected "Forums" as the name for the app.

As has been said here, iOS changed the way people search for mobile apps. Google (change it to your preferred search engine) is no longer the primary choice for searching mobile apps.

People searches apps in the phone's catalog, and they do it in a very simplistic way, usually: new additions. Also, when they need to find an app, they'll try to search the name.

When browsing the new additions, people tends to simply scroll until they find a name that it's interesting for them. That's the reason the name must be descriptive, and show what the app does. I think that the word "Forums" is the perfect description of the app, althought any other "Forums" derivative would have been valid.

"No name", and similar naming conventions (I mean absolutely unrelated) doesn't work, as I've been able to check in the downloads count with both names. People, as an entity, is lazy, guys. If they don't know what's up with the title, they don't do research at all.

Also, when searching for an app like this, people will tend to search for tapatalk (included in descriptions) and the generic term Forums (the exact title).

I don't care if there the app's name doesn't becomes a brand, as the background brand is Tapatalk, not "Forums". Althought I'm not sure if "Forums" isn't the perfect brand.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Newness Developments apps:

I like the name.. It's simple and to the point , only gripe is when we are in the bug fix thread when I refer to forums I need to surround it with quotes to denote I'm talking about the app and well , not the forums
    Quote Originally Posted by tobias funke View Post
    - ForumsToGo
    - Forums2Go
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    I like the name.. It's simple and to the point , only gripe is when we are in the bug fix thread when I refer to forums I need to surround it with quotes to denote I'm talking about the app and well , not the forums
    +1

Yeah I can see that being a bit of a hassle. No biggy though.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
  13.    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    You can refer to them as "the app" and "the forum"...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta

Not to split hairs, but I'm the one who actually suggested the name Forums. DumbPreCommenter suggested Internet Forum/ Internet Bulletin Board and Forum/BBoard.
  15.    #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by CommieCOZY View Post
    Not to split hairs, but I'm the one who actually suggested the name Forums. DumbPreCommenter suggested Internet Forum/ Internet Bulletin Board and Forum/BBoard.
    I'm wrong?

Forums (plural) is not the same thing as Forum (singular). Afterall, Microsoft's OS isn't called Window
  17.    #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by CommieCOZY View Post
    Forums (plural) is not the same thing as Forum (singular). Afterall, Microsoft's OS isn't called Window

You're right.

Hehe. No worries.
    Heeee heeee!

I actually didn't notice the difference.

Ok ok... I relinquish my winnings.

My winning, I meant

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast