1.    #1  
    In the month or so before the Hot Apps program was finished I saw almost daily updates to apps, surely every day I would check there were several apps updated. Since the program ended I don't think I have seen a single app update.

Is HPalm going to have to get another Hot Apps program going to revive the apps?

I'm trying to remember if the majority of app updates were free apps or not, I think they were. Are free apps going to be dead now?
    They probably "updated" the apps to bump them to the top of the recent apps queue.

I don't think hot apps programs are the key to increasing the # of apps over the long run. Companies should not invest in winning contests as a key part of their money-making strategy.

I wouldn't say ONLY money motivates devs, but it is the PRIMARY reason.
    <comment deleted by Mod> There are app updates every single day besides weekends. There just haven't been as much as when the contest was on because when it was running all the devs would just bump their apps with no updates to get more downloads.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 10/13/2010 at 11:06 PM. Reason: inappropriate comment
    I think the app catalog has been increasing more and more as time goes on.... With regard to updates, it behoves devs to update as every update thows your app to the top of the list... Higher towards top,the more sales. I have an issue with devs making updates just to drive an app to top. I only update if there is an actual update.

On another note... Does adding "highly addictive" to an apps title really increase sales and make it addictive? I'm gonna make an app called snails which simply has a snail move across the screan in real time. I'll add "highly addictive" to the title and retire at a young age.
    If you're talking about the apps from Virtual Design, I completely agree. They get updated every day and all have horrible reviews.
    Money isn't the answer to everything, but it certainly doesn't hurt. These people do it because they like developing apps, but hey, we all have to make a living somehow...

My Themes:CLICK HERE
    They may make apps in exchange for a batch of home-made cookies or a bearclaw... but I think they'd rather have money in order to pay bills and make a living.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    They may make apps in exchange for a batch of home-made cookies or a bearclaw... but I think they'd rather have money in order to pay bills and make a living.
    mmmmmm bearclaws.....
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chompy View Post
    Maybe they could then sell the cookies for money?

...and be sued by the Girl Scouts for patent infringement? No way...you don't mess with the Girl Scouts and their cookies.
    I'm sure some just do it for the fame and others just for the happiness. As previously stated, I told my bank that I loved them....unfortunately that didn't equal a car payment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47
    Only money motivates app developers?
    If this was the case, I wouldn't have spent thousands of hours writing code for preware, govnah, wirc, lumberjack, etc.

I've never seen a dime.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    There is no shame in paying app developers. Microsoft is launching Windows 7 Mobile with 2,000 apps partly because they paid developers to create apps. HP should take a page from Microsoft's book and get the major app developers out there to release a version for WebOS. When we can;t get the basic apps - ex. UrbanSpoon or SportsTap we've got some problems.

Not that we need SportsTap since SportsLive! (when the servers are working) is amazing, but the point is still valid.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeisnowonfire View Post
    Money isn't the answer to everything, but it certainly doesn't hurt. These people do it because they like developing apps, but hey, we all have to make a living somehow...
    No, they do it for LOVE & PEACE!

Quote Originally Posted by solarus
    There is no shame in paying app developers. Microsoft is launching Windows 7 Mobile with 2,000 apps partly because they paid developers to create apps. HP should take a page from Microsoft's book and get the major app developers out there to release a version for WebOS. When we can;t get the basic apps - ex. UrbanSpoon or SportsTap we've got some problems.
    There's no shame...until of course, you're paying developers to not develop for other platforms or to delay the release of games or exclusive content. Can we say Xbox 360?

That said, HP is so behind in the game that they have no danger of this whatsover, so start dropping some big ones, please.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by oil View Post
    If this was the case, I wouldn't have spent thousands of hours writing code for preware, govnah, wirc, lumberjack, etc.

I've never seen a dime.
    You're absolutely right, and I certainly didn't mean this to come off as a "developers are greedy" type thing -- in no way did I intend that.

I was merely recognizing all the updates that stopped happening when the hot apps program was over, and wondering if we would have to wait for a new hot apps program before we saw a ramp up in new/updated apps.

Your service to those apps, and our community, is tremendous and I think anyone who is on P|C would hit the thanks button if they read that comment!!
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Where are my cookies at? How did they ship them to you, UPS FedEx or USPS? I'll keep an eye ot for them.