Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Short answer? YES
    Uff. Good to hear
    Long answer:
    My life is going through something similar. [...]
    I wish you the best for solving this problems and looking forward for an update after that. Thx!
    Rnp likes this.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Is there any update available?

Forums is one of the apps I use most on my Pre3. Unfortunately there still are a few issues that IMO badly need fixing:

- On one of the phpBB-base forums I'm using the 'Recent messages' view is broken, it is always empty. I can still select 'Unread messages' though. Looks like a compatibility issue. Priority (for me): High
    - There's no way to switch to a larger font which makes reading difficult on smart phones. Priority (for me): High
    - If while composing a message there is temporarily no network available, I may get a "no network" screen, and the message I'm composing is lost. Checking for network connection should be disabled while composing, and/or better error handling should be implemented. Priority (for me): High

- Reading PNs on a WBB-based forum does not work. Priority (for me): Medium

Needless to say, I'd be ready to re-purchase the app if necessary. I like it and I do want to support app development on the WebOS platform.
    Sad to say there's not much going on round here in terms of updates and bug fixes anymore. Most of the talk is about other platforms and sepeculation, this and that.

One would hope that paid apps would be different but don't seem to be the case. Lets hope
    One problem is that Forums is behind on Tapatalk compatibility, so things that work in Communities sometimes don't work in Forums. It has not been updated to handle API version 4, so it will report that any forum running 4.x of the plugin as running an outdated version, when the real problem is the app is not up to date. Communities is more up to date, and hopefully he will find some time to incorporate those updates into Forums.
  5.    #1145  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    One problem is that Forums is behind on Tapatalk compatibility, so things that work in Communities sometimes don't work in Forums. It has not been updated to handle API version 4, so it will report that any forum running 4.x of the plugin as running an outdated version, when the real problem is the app is not up to date. Communities is more up to date, and hopefully he will find some time to incorporate those updates into Forums.
    They've made changes to the Gallery (they call it Directory), and they've removed the support pages for directory APIs, I've tried to contact them about the topic, but all I get is silence.

Anyways I'm working (again) on a new app from the scratch, based on Enyo2, (basically because Mozilla people paid me a travel to London for a workshop, I'm that cheap) that will see the light on webOS as a major update for Forums, but I'm not confident at all about the future of the app without a proper support for discovering sites.

Right now, at least you can browse sites, but I don't know how long it will last, and it's hard to keep interest on doing this in this scenario.
    Last edited by deCorvett; 04/26/2013 at 12:26 PM.
    Newness Developments apps:

Rnp likes this.
    sounds like the state of "forums" isnt down to it being abandoned/left to rot or anything, or that theres a lack of wanting to update it, its just that your hitting walls when trying to find the info you need.

hell forums may not work how i want it to atm but im at least still glad the issues at hand have been looked into, its just a shame you cant get what you need, i wonder why theres the big silence at the other end.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    I'm happy to see you're actively working on an Enyo 2 version! Enyo 2 seems to be a lot quicker compared to Enyo 1 in a lot of aspects

I love your Communities app and it's the one I actually use the most on my Touchpad! There are a few minor bugs still, but nothing too shocking to be honest!

In case you need any alpha/beta testers, I'd be very happy to be one
    barryb20 likes this.
  8.    #1148  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    sounds like the state of "forums" isnt down to it being abandoned/left to rot or anything, or that theres a lack of wanting to update it, its just that your hitting walls when trying to find the info you need.

hell forums may not work how i want it to atm but im at least still glad the issues at hand have been looked into, its just a shame you cant get what you need, i wonder why theres the big silence at the other end.
    It's not that easy, but it's one of the reasons.
    Last edited by deCorvett; 04/25/2013 at 10:22 AM.

Rnp likes this.
  9.    #1149  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    I'm happy to see you're actively working on an Enyo 2 version! Enyo 2 seems to be a lot quicker compared to Enyo 1 in a lot of aspects

I love your Communities app and it's the one I actually use the most on my Touchpad! There are a few minor bugs still, but nothing too shocking to be honest!

In case you need any alpha/beta testers, I'd be very happy to be one
    Everyone who bought the app will be a beta tester this time. You can consider Forums 1.x EOL'd, so the next update you'll see you'll have to choose between your arms broken or a kick in the balls... Approximately.

You make it sound so fun!

Do you care if I root around in the code and try to figure out what Tapatalk borked?
  11.    #1151  
    You make it sound so fun!

Do you care if I root around in the code and try to figure out what Tapatalk borked?
    Feel free if you wish, but I can tell you what the issue is:

They changed the function for getting the recent posts, communities uses both the new and old API, forums uses the old one. This was going to happen, as the API now is pretty different from 2010.

Also, Gallery search doesn't return data for 3rd party apps (tapatalk server "issue").

Quote Originally Posted by decorvett View Post
    everyone who bought the app will be a beta tester this time. You can consider forums 1.x eol'd, so the next update you'll see you'll have to choose between your arms broken or a kick in the balls... Approximately.
    take my arm!!!!!
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Feel free if you wish, but I can tell you what the issue is:

They changed the function for getting the recent posts, communities uses both the new and old API, forums uses the old one. This was going to happen, as the API now is pretty different from 2010.

Also, Gallery search doesn't return data for 3rd party apps (tapatalk server "issue")
    Well this is what I was about to ask about. I installed webos 2.2.4 so I had to reinstall all my apps and I'm not able to search to add forums.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    Well this is what I was about to ask about. I installed webos 2.2.4 so I had to reinstall all my apps and I'm not able to search to add forums.
    I take it then you did not have save/restore installed to back up your app settings? Forums is supported and is the only reason I still have my saved forums. I believe you can still browse categories, if you know where your forums are categorized.
    I take it then you did not have save/restore installed to back up your app settings? Forums is supported and is the only reason I still have my saved forums. I believe you can still browse categories, if you know where your forums are categorized.
    No, I didn't have save restore. I have forums installed on my old sprint palm pre, and it still has the forum I want. Is there a way to grab the info from the other device? I'm using an att veer now tho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    No, I didn't have save restore. I have forums installed on my old sprint palm pre, and it still has the forum I want. Is there a way to grab the info from the other device? I'm using an att veer now tho.
    Yes. Note any current forums already saved on the Veer will be overwritten. You can install Save/Restore from Preware onto your old Sprint Pre (turn WiFi on) - but, this is important too -- if it is on the same Palm Profile as your Veer, do NOT turn WiFi on, and instead use WebOSQuickInstall to install Save/Restore. Then open Save/Restore and hit the save button ( you can un-check everything else and only save Forums if you want to speed things up). Then put it into USB mode and copy the saverestore folder (or at a minimum, the Forums folder, onto your PC. Keep that backup safe.

Next, install Save/Restore onto your Veer. I prefer to launch it at least one time before copying the backup onto my phone, though I really don't think it matters. Put the Veer into USB mode, and copy the Forums directory from your backup into the saverestore folder on your Veer (I would only restore the apps you need, as the webos changes from 1.x to 2.x mean you can't restore some stuff anyway). If you have already opened Forums at least one time on your Veer, you will be able to then open Save/Restore and turn on the toggle button for Forums and hit 'restore selected' (do this while the Forums app is not open). Then you can open Forums and your saved forums should be there.
    Yes. Note any current forums already saved on the Veer will be overwritten. You can install Save/Restore from Preware onto your old Sprint Pre (turn WiFi on) - but, this is important too -- if it is on the same Palm Profile as your Veer, do NOT turn WiFi on, and instead use WebOSQuickInstall to install Save/Restore. Then open Save/Restore and hit the save button ( you can un-check everything else and only save Forums if you want to speed things up). Then put it into USB mode and copy the saverestore folder (or at a minimum, the Forums folder, onto your PC. Keep that backup safe.

Next, install Save/Restore onto your Veer. I prefer to launch it at least one time before copying the backup onto my phone, though I really don't think it matters. Put the Veer into USB mode, and copy the Forums directory from your backup into the saverestore folder on your Veer (I would only restore the apps you need, as the webos changes from 1.x to 2.x mean you can't restore some stuff anyway). If you have already opened Forums at least one time on your Veer, you will be able to then open Save/Restore and turn on the toggle button for Forums and hit 'restore selected' (do this while the Forums app is not open). Then you can open Forums and your saved forums should be there.

Thanx for the quick responses. I'll try that this weekend. My sprint pre and veer are on the same profile. At the time I got the veer I had copied some ipks for apps that didnt repopulate on my veer (fandango, where, and a few others) and then i deleted a database file that was supposed to allow me to keep it as a wifi device. I expected the programs to disappear when I connected it to wifi, but it never happened. All my apps are still there and functional, I just don't get update notifications for them anymore.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Would love to be able to see new forums in the "Forums" app. Right now it is quite useless..
    Quote Originally Posted by kulf View Post
    Would love to be able to see new forums in the "Forums" app. Right now it is quite useless..
    Perhaps we should send these complaints to Taptalk, since they broke the API needed to search the directory. Right now you can at least browse it, which takes too long and requires you to know what category the forum is in (and only works if the forum is set to only be visible if you search for it).
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    Any chance that I can have a functioning (beta)tapatalk app on my pre3 that supports v4 of the API? Please?