1.    #1  
    Hey there P|C,

I have 2 friends with smartphones. One has an Iphone 3GS, and the other has a Droid X.

I recently came across "Word Ace" (Old news i know..) and i noticed that people with Iphones can play with people that have Palm Pre's.

Is there maybe another game made by Self Aware Games that can be played across all three platforms.. or any other game for that matter.

Would be pretty cool if we can all play a game together.
  2.    #3  
    can that be played across all 3 platforms?

Appreciate the input... but maybe something more simpler ?
  3.    #4  
    anybody?
    As far as I know, we're the only company that makes webOS/iOS/Android/web cross-compatible games. I could be wrong, but I haven't heard of any others that do all four.

While Word Ace isn't out on Android yet, Card Ace: Hold 'Em & Card Ace: Blackjack are playable with people on all four platforms. Word Ace is currently available on webOS, iOS and the web.

We're hard at work on our next game, which will also be multi-platform-compatible. We'll be having an open beta (on the web) available in the next few weeks. It's unlike anything you've ever seen! Well, it's sorta like some other things you've seen - but in many ways, completely bonkers.

seppo
  5.    #6  
    really appreciate the info! I'm going to try out the other games you mentioned! Thanks
    Yeah all the self aware games, N.O.V.A., Brothers in Arms 2. That's all the ones I know.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenMan View Post
    Yeah all the self aware games, N.O.V.A., Brothers in Arms 2. That's all the ones I know.
    And gamelofts sandstorm, but I checked my friends droidX and all I saw was nova and sandstorm. No brothers in arms2. I don't own shrek cart, but it may be on all three as well.
  8.    #9  
    thanks again guys. I'm hoping in the future that developers start making more and more games that are cross-compatible.

I think those apps would sell pretty easy, since most of us dont have a circle of friends that all have the same device.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPrePlusPwns View Post
    thanks again guys. I'm hoping in the future that developers start making more and more games that are cross-compatible.

I think those apps would sell pretty easy, since most of us dont have a circle of friends that all have the same device.
    To be perfectly honest, even though Palm's made great strides to make porting from iOS to webOS as easy as possible, there isn't a good truly cross-platform solution for developers. For us, each of our games is basically unique on the device side, and they all talk to a single server infrastructure. It makes updating the apps really time-consuming process, and development takes a lot more effort than one might think as a result.

Because of that, I actually don't see a lot of truly cross-platform-compatible games in the near term, unless someone develops a middleware solution that makes it easy for everyone.

seppo
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmPrePlusPwns View Post

I like your Forum User name
    Mobile HotSpot At&t
  11.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by selfawaregames View Post
    To be perfectly honest, even though Palm's made great strides to make porting from iOS to webOS as easy as possible, there isn't a good truly cross-platform solution for developers. For us, each of our games is basically unique on the device side, and they all talk to a single server infrastructure. It makes updating the apps really time-consuming process, and development takes a lot more effort than one might think as a result.

Because of that, I actually don't see a lot of truly cross-platform-compatible games in the near term, unless someone develops a middleware solution that makes it easy for everyone.

seppo
    I'm a pretty tech/computer savvy person but I've never looked into what it takes to developing games/apps for a device, let alone 3 devices (and making that game/app cross-compatible at that)

Thanks for sharing that info. From being on the consumer side of cell phone devices and apps. I'm glad i know now it takes a little more effort than what i thought it would to making apps and especially cross-compatible ones.

i've always wondered why dont more developers "just do it" lol.

seppo

Isn't OpenFient working on some kind of cross platform system? I know right now they were only focusing on iOS and Android but maybe if some developers throw support for webOS at them they'll start in on that. Of course that's assuming that their system does what you were talking about which I'm not really sure on.
    I've been trying for weeks. I couldn't get no support here. The dev for openfeint said 'no user interest on their webos poll on Facebook'..

http://m.forums.precentral.net/gener...int-webos.html

I've been trying to get them to make the move/commitment.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    The chess.com app allows me to play chess with my friends that are on different platforms (iOS/Android) as long as they have the app as well. Seems like it works best on webOS though.
    Exhaust the body, Proceed the mind, Cultivate the spirit

seppo
    This is an interesting quote. From your standpoint as a developer, is it much easier to make a cross-platform game from iOS to webOS, or from iOS to Android? If you make an update to iOS, how easy is it to port that update to webOS?

On a related note, is it easy to port an Android app to webOS, or is the fact that Android uses Java while iOS uses Objective-C a reason why porting from iOS to webOS is "as easy as possible", and would it be beneficial to Palm if they developed an easier way to port Android apps to webOS?
    rsanchez1 - it depends on whether you're taking cross-platform stuff seriously right from the start or not. For the Ace games, unfortunately, we took a less-than-optimal approach, and while all the server-side stuff is unified, the individual clients are literally completely different from each other. As a result, when we make an update to iOS, we have to make the *same* update to webOS. And Android. Which makes any changes really expensive/time consuming.

Unfortunately, when we made the Ace games, there wasn't a much better solution available other than "brute force". There are more potential solutions, and the introduction of the PDK makes certain things much easier, but for the Ace games, that ship has sailed.

There's some chance we may actually take all the Ace stuff and port it over to HTML5, just to make it as cross-compatible as possible, but even then, there's a lot of potential tradeoffs in doing so - mostly performance-related.

Basically, there's no "magic bullet" - either for Palm or for the developers - and without the hardware/platform developers coming together and developing some sort of standard that they can all agree to, cross platform development will *always* be more difficult than building a game tailored for a single platform.

seppo