Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789
    Shadowhawk,

If you have Preware then all you need is the freetetherD patch and the freeTether app from web OS internals. I think it's a way better program than the Mobile Hotspot: it allows internet connection via USB or WiFi or Bluetooth or any combination of the above simultaneously. I've had three devices connected and they all work pretty well.

As with MHS you need the Pre to be connected to a power source if you are doing this for any length of time.

With regard to your above process I believe you need to instal freetetherD first and reboot, then the auto forwarding then the app.

With freeTether however, it does the auto forwarding itself so all you need to do is:

1) uninstall whatever you've got going now

2) then install freetetherD and reboot.

FYI: freetetherD is available on Preware too.

Make sure your Preware preferences are set for the Main Scene to display:
    Types, Applications, Themes, Patches and (most importantly for this) Other Types.
    Also be sure your feeds are set to include showing the webOS internals feeds.

Assuming that is accomplished, when Preware opens it should show you the Available Other category.
    When this is selected you will want to select Service and then select all.
    freeTetherD - Network Routing and Address Translation Service will be in that list.
    Install it and restart the phone.
    3) then install freeTether from the Preware Applications feed. You should be up and running.

See if that doesn't work better.
    Last edited by Mr._Happy; 07/05/2011 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Added clearer directions.
    Trēo 650 -> Trēo 700P -> Trēo 755P -> Prē
    Forget MHS. Install freeTether. Its written by webOS Internals (the ppl that wrote stuff like Preware and basically intenvted homebrew) and it works better than MHS.

Application:FreeTether - WebOS Internals

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Happy View Post
    Shadowhawk,

If you have Preware then all you need is the freetetherD patch and the freeTether app from web OS internals. I think it's a way better program than the Mobile Hotspot: it allows internet connection via USB or WiFi or Bluetooth or any combination of the above simultaneously. I've had three devices connected and they all work pretty well.

As with MHS you need the Pre to be connected to a power source if you are doing this for any length of time.

With regard to your above process I believe you need to instal freetetherD first, then the auto forwarding then the app.

With freeTether however, it does the auto forwarding itself so all you need to do is: uninstall whatever you've got going now, then first install freetetherD and reboot, then install freeTether.

See if that doesn't work better.
    I'm about 99% certain that freeTetherD is no longer needed. All you need is freeTether. If you read the wiki(Application:FreeTether - WebOS Internals), it makes no mention of installing freeTetherD. In fact, it begins by telling you to uninstall MHS, myTether and freeTetherD so they don't conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    I recently had to EPR my Sprint Pre, removing all the patches. About a week later, I noticed that I could no longer tether to it via MHS. I figured that EPR had taken away some of the necessary alterations.

So I deleted MHS v1.1.4 and used Preware to remove freeTetherD. I don't remember seeing/removing the auto-enable-IP-forwarding patch (but it doesn't seem to be there now...at the end of trying to re-install it all).

1. I rebooted.
    2. I had the following files stored in a folder in my dropbox: the MHS 1.0.14 ipk, the auto-enable-ip-forwarding patch for MHS v1.1.4, the freeTetherD ipk.
    3. I saved all those files from Dropbox.
    4. In Internalz, I navigated to the folder with the Dropbox'ed files. Internalz can't Open the MHS 1.0.14 already-patched ipk, so I go into Preware and use the Install Package app menu item, then browse to that ipk to install it. That reports successful installation. I can see it in the launcher.
    5. Then I went to the Updates app, and updated the MHS app to 1.1.4.
    6. I went back to Internalz and opened the patch, which opened within Internalz and gave me the option to install the patch. That installation failed, but I don't think there was any informative error message or option to view/copy a log.
    7. I decided to start over using webOS QI. I deleted MHS. I put my Pre into Developer Mode, which reboots the phone.
    8. In webOS QI, I installed MHS 1.0.14. I disconnected my Pre, rebooted--just because--and updated MHS to v1.1.4. Rebooted again.
    9. Reconnected phone (still in Dev Mode) to webOS QI.
    10. Installed the auto-enable-IP-forwarding patch. No error message. No success message.
    11. I installed the freetetherD ipk. Again, no error message, no success message.
    12. I disconnected the phone, rebooted it. Then put it out of Dev Mode, which reboots it a second time. Tried MHS. My devices--a win7 home premium 64-bit laptop and an unlocked GSM Pre2--could both connect to the hotspot, but neither can access the web through it. The laptop reports that the network does not have internet access. (I do ensure that Bluetooth is turned off on the phone.) I don't know if this is informative, but, in MHS, the laptop shows up with its normal name (where MHS lists connected devices), but the Pre2 only shows the Pre2's MAC address.
    13. Looking for them via Preware, under installed services and installed patches, neither the auto-enable patch nor the freetetherD service are there.
    14. So I tried again. Deleted MHS via the device. Confirmed that auto-enable and freetetherD are MIA. Rebooted. Then put it into Dev Mode. Hooked it up to my laptop, installed MHS-already-patched v1.0.14. No error message, no success message. I eject the phone as always (stop Novacom services, eject it, disconnect, then restart Novacom). Then I reboot it. Then I take it out of Dev Mode, which reboots it again (<--that's just a precautionary step, I think. I suspect it's not technically necessary).
    15. I run the Updates app, and now it reports that my phone is up to date. I hit the refresh icon a couple of times with no change in results. I double-check the Device Info > More Options > Software list, and MHS is listed as being v1.0.14...So it should be updating...but it's not... *sigh*, I guess I'll reboot and look again. Same deal in the Updates app, down to refreshing a couple of times to no avail.
    16. Hunh...Well, drat. I guess I'll give it a few hours or something and look again.

I did all this today...so it seems strange that Updates would show an update this morning, but refuse to register that same update this afternoon. Any ideas?

...and even if the Updates app does its thing to update MHS to 1.1.4, there's still the question of why the auto-enable-IP-forwarding patch and the freetetherD ipk don't seem to install. Any ideas of things to check or do about that?
    UPDATE: Interesting, I found an MHS v1.1.4 ipk (com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.1.4_all.ipk). Does the "all" mean that I don't have to install anything else after it, no auto-enable IP forwarding patch, no freeTetherD service? I guess I'll just test as I go.

So, to continue the saga...
    1. I deleted the installed MHS in the launcher.
    2. I put it in dev mode and let it reboot.
    3. I dl'ed the current version of webOS QI (v4.2.3, where I was using v4.1.1 before].
    4. I installed the MHS v1.1.4_all ipk. The Device Info app reports the v1.1.4 version.
    5. I eject the phone and disconnect it.
    6. I reboot the phone, but leave it in Dev Mode.
    7. I tried connecting to the internet via my laptop, and, when that didn't work, my Pre 2. That didn't work, either. Just as before, the laptop's name registered with MHS, but the Pre 2 registered with its MAC address.
    8. So I connect it to my laptop via USB to install auto-enable-IP-forwarding and freeTetherD. I figure I'll do it one at a time, so first I install auto-enable-ip-forwarding-in-mobile-hotspot-1.1.4.patch. WebOS QI seems to go through the process, and, once again, no error message and no success message, but my Pre reboots. That's the first time I've seen that. It didn't take forever, so it may have been just a Luna refresh...Hm, is that a change in webOS QI between 4.1.1 and 4.2.3? I note that in the change notes for v4.2.0, it lists this change "Fixed .patch applying using the new AUPT script urls"...
    9. After the Luna refresh (seems more likely), I go into Preware to hopefully find the auto-enable patch listed in the installed patches list. Woohoo! There it is!! I exit Preware.
    10. I go back to webOS QI and install us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk. Again, no error message and no success message. The phone does not reboot. FreeTetherD does not appear in the launcher (I didn't expect it to, but I checked anyway). I check in Preware; it's listed under Installed Packages > Services. Woohoo!
    11. I stop the Novacom service, safely eject my Pre, then reboot it (leaving Dev Mode on).
    12. AND IT WORKS!!! Both via laptop and via Pre2.

Here's the speedtest.net result:

Sheesh...that really seems to have taken lots longer than it should have.

So...in conclusion, the process that worked for me was:
    1. Google for, find, and dl the MHS 1.1.4 ipk.
    2. Use webOS QI, current version 4.2.3 to install the auto-enable-IP-forwarding patch. Let the phone do a Luna refresh.
    3. Use webOS QI to install the freeTetherD service.
    4. Reboot phone.

That recipe seems conceptually identical to the posts that I'd seen earlier in this thread (but with the additional steps of installing first the already patched MHS v1.0.14 first, then using the App Catalog to update it to 1.1.4), but darned if those other recipes didn't work. Maybe the big change was using webOS QI v4.2.3 rather than 4.1.1.

I will note that my previously successful installation of MHS v1.1.4 was done all through Dropboxify, Internalz, and Preware, but that combination seemed to fail on multiple attempts this time out. I have no ideas why.

I hope this saga helps someone out there.

Yikers.

Thanks, too, to folks who suggested FreeTether in Preware...I did do some skimming of a thread for that (http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...her-1-1-x.html ), but I got the impression folks were running into issues of it being really slow relative to MHS and of it behaving a tad strangely (not turning off completely, tho apparently with no detriment to actual phone behavior or battery life) on the Veer (which, admittedly, I don't have).

Now that I have MHS working, however, I'm a little loathe to uninstall it just to install FreeTether, despite its more honorable lineage. But I will definitely consider that again if I have to EPR my Pre again (I did that prior to taking it in to a Sprint technician to have a look at it for some other issue).
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowhawk View Post
    UPDATE: Interesting, I found an MHS v1.1.4 ipk (com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.1.4_all.ipk). Does the "all" mean that I don't have to install anything else after it, no auto-enable IP forwarding patch, no freeTetherD service? I guess I'll just test as I go.

So, to continue the saga...
    1. I deleted the installed MHS in the launcher.
    2. I put it in dev mode and let it reboot.
    3. I dl'ed the current version of webOS QI (v4.2.3, where I was using v4.1.1 before].
    4. I installed the MHS v1.1.4_all ipk. The Device Info app reports the v1.1.4 version.
    5. I eject the phone and disconnect it.
    6. I reboot the phone, but leave it in Dev Mode.
    7. I tried connecting to the internet via my laptop, and, when that didn't work, my Pre 2. That didn't work, either. Just as before, the laptop's name registered with MHS, but the Pre 2 registered with its MAC address.
    8. So I connect it to my laptop via USB to install auto-enable-IP-forwarding and freeTetherD. I figure I'll do it one at a time, so first I install auto-enable-ip-forwarding-in-mobile-hotspot-1.1.4.patch. WebOS QI seems to go through the process, and, once again, no error message and no success message, but my Pre reboots. That's the first time I've seen that. It didn't take forever, so it may have been just a Luna refresh...Hm, is that a change in webOS QI between 4.1.1 and 4.2.3? I note that in the change notes for v4.2.0, it lists this change "Fixed .patch applying using the new AUPT script urls"...
    9. After the Luna refresh (seems more likely), I go into Preware to hopefully find the auto-enable patch listed in the installed patches list. Woohoo! There it is!! I exit Preware.
    10. I go back to webOS QI and install us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk. Again, no error message and no success message. The phone does not reboot. FreeTetherD does not appear in the launcher (I didn't expect it to, but I checked anyway). I check in Preware; it's listed under Installed Packages > Services. Woohoo!
    11. I stop the Novacom service, safely eject my Pre, then reboot it (leaving Dev Mode on).
    12. AND IT WORKS!!! Both via laptop and via Pre2.

Here's the speedtest.net result:

Sheesh...that really seems to have taken lots longer than it should have.

So...in conclusion, the process that worked for me was:
    1. Google for, find, and dl the MHS 1.1.4 ipk.
    2. Use webOS QI, current version 4.2.3 to install the auto-enable-IP-forwarding patch. Let the phone do a Luna refresh.
    3. Use webOS QI to install the freeTetherD service.
    4. Reboot phone.

That recipe seems conceptually identical to the posts that I'd seen earlier in this thread (but with the additional steps of installing first the already patched MHS v1.0.14 first, then using the App Catalog to update it to 1.1.4), but darned if those other recipes didn't work. Maybe the big change was using webOS QI v4.2.3 rather than 4.1.1.

I will note that my previously successful installation of MHS v1.1.4 was done all through Dropboxify, Internalz, and Preware, but that combination seemed to fail on multiple attempts this time out. I have no ideas why.

I hope this saga helps someone out there.

Yikers.

Thanks, too, to folks who suggested FreeTether in Preware...I did do some skimming of a thread for that (http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...her-1-1-x.html ), but I got the impression folks were running into issues of it being really slow relative to MHS and of it behaving a tad strangely (not turning off completely, tho apparently with no detriment to actual phone behavior or battery life) on the Veer (which, admittedly, I don't have).

Now that I have MHS working, however, I'm a little loathe to uninstall it just to install FreeTether, despite its more honorable lineage. But I will definitely consider that again if I have to EPR my Pre again (I did that prior to taking it in to a Sprint technician to have a look at it for some other issue).
    Have u seen how old this thread is 1st. 2nd you've been told to use freetether & u say your are hesitant to do so.

There is a reason this thread is old because MHS use is old. You say you have read about people having problems with freetether, have you read about the reasons why or the solutions to them or are you just looking for a reason to knock what you are scared to try. It appears from your post that you are doing fine with MHS, so continue to enjoy it. Only installing Freetether will show you how it behaves.
    Sprint Pre Plus - Black Silver White Theme 2.1 w/Sconix advanced patches, F102B & SWW
    Having used all of them
    MHS v1.0.14
    MHS v1.1.4_all ipk
    and freeTether

I can say that freeTether is the easiest and most flexible solution.

However, my girlfriend is still using the MHS v1.1.4_all ipk and it works well enough.

So whatever works. I like the little bell ringing notification that MHS makes when someone joins the hotspot, freeTether could take a cue from that.

I have and old non-Wifi PC that I sometimes need to connect to the internet for arcane reasons of my own. Can't do it with MHS.

Of late my lady has been coming over with her laptop and we have both used my connection and it is usually a bit better than when we both use hers. A little more reliable and a little smoother and a notch faster - nothing crazy though.

Other folks mileage seems to vary.

If what you got is working for you, I'd say do what works.
    Quote Originally Posted by prolongexistence View Post
    I'm about 99% certain that freeTetherD is no longer needed. All you need is freeTether. If you read the wiki(Application:FreeTether - WebOS Internals), it makes no mention of installing freeTetherD. In fact, it begins by telling you to uninstall MHS, myTether and freeTetherD so they don't conflict.
    Just deleted freeTetherD.

I'm still posting.

So there you go. Thanks for the tip. ;-)

I'll have to monitor it for a while, maybe do a comparison with my girl's MHS.
    Id MHS faster than freetether? cause FT seems really slow for me.
    I think the typical response by most users is that freeTether performs a little better than MHS and definitely better than the old myTether. Download the Net Speed app or go to mobilespeedtest.com and run some tests to compare. I do know that I can typically get about 2MB download with freeTether on my Sprint Pre- and I also know that the Pre- is capped at 2.5MB. I'm not sure about newer devices.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789