Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    If I use MHS on my Sprint Pre, is there any extra charge on my bill? Sorry if it has already been answered Don't feel like reading the whole 7 pages
    What Time will not heal, nothing will.
    I don't feel like answering, beyond posting this useless post.
    Ok I read the whole thread and it seems there is no extra charge, SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG!!!!!
    There's no extra charge.

If you were to read, say, two threads on this subject you might glean from such reading that Sprint has declined to offer this feature on their webOS devices. Which is sort of the point of these threads in the first place.

Maybe you're saying to yourself "Two whole threads... Whoa. That's a lot of reading." Well, welcome to a forum.

Just so you know, forum etiquette (and not just this forum's but most) asks that people do some basic research of their own, before cluttering up a thread with questions that are obvious if said reading has been done. It's just good manners.

What you're doing is akin to entering a room where people are having a serious discussion and insisting that they catch you up. This is sort of rude - especially since online discussions are posted and you can easily catch yourself up.

So be advised: Sprint doesn't allow Mobile Hot Spots -- they won't even let you actually pay for the privilege -- ergo: all the threads concerning tethering and wifi hotspotting on Sprint are hacker's work-around discussions.

So it's sort of the whole point that you're missing.
    Trēo 650 -> Trēo 700P -> Trēo 755P -> Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by estockda View Post
    I've modified Jason's original patch to work with the new version.

Note: This is Jason Robitaille's work, I just had to tweak it a little for the new version.
    I just wanted to say thanks so much for this and state it worked for me using webOS QI. I didn't even realize it was broke until I went to use it today. haha. I know this was Jason's work, but a big thanks to you as well for taking the time to update.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Happy View Post
    There's no extra charge.

If you were to read, say, two threads on this subject you might glean from such reading that Sprint has declined to offer this feature on their webOS devices. Which is sort of the point of these threads in the first place.

Maybe you're saying to yourself "Two whole threads... Whoa. That's a lot of reading." Well, welcome to a forum.

Just so you know, forum etiquette (and not just this forum's but most) asks that people do some basic research of their own, before cluttering up a thread with questions that are obvious if said reading has been done. It's just good manners.

What you're doing is akin to entering a room where people are having a serious discussion and insisting that they catch you up. This is sort of rude - especially since online discussions are posted and you can easily catch yourself up.

So be advised: Sprint doesn't allow Mobile Hot Spots -- they won't even let you actually pay for the privilege -- ergo: all the threads concerning tethering and wifi hotspotting on Sprint are hacker's work-around discussions.

So it's sort of the whole point that you're missing.
    The even funnier part is that I got bored waiting for a reply yesterday and actually read everything. Then I decided to try it and couldn't get it to work lol
    Now that is funny.

When you say you can't get it to work

a) Which variation of MHS and associated patches are you using?

b) What happens?
    I only tried the freetetherd/freetether/MHS combo, yes I remembered to enable IP forwarding in Freetether
    freetetherd/freetether/MHS combo
    Perhaps try this: uninstall everything and then re-install according to the following recipe:

Install in this order

Mobile HotSpot 1.1.4

Auto-Enable IP Forwarding Mobile
    (auto-enable-ip-forwarding-in-mobile-hotspot-1.1.4.patch)

freetetherd
    (us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk)

Reboot phone.

If you use WebOSQuickInstall you can just load the files in that order (topmost will install first). That's what I did and it works well. And because you're using Mobile HotSpot 1.1.4 neither Preware nor Updates will show you as needing an update: it's the current release.

And I have been told (by the same little bird that told me to do it this way) that one should avoid using Blue Tooth. It seems to annoy the Sprint network if you run MHS and Blue Tooth at the same time.

That appears to be true for me no matter which set-up I've used.
    Last edited by Mr._Happy; 10/26/2010 at 11:16 PM.
    Wow, you really know your stuff! Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Happy View Post
    Install in this order

Mobile HotSpot 1.1.4

freetetherd

Reboot phone.
    Any idea where to find the 'Mobile Hotspot 1.1.4' file?
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Google?

Apparently posting direct links is crossing some sort of legal line.

Wow, you really know your stuff! Thanks!
    I can't take credit for this.

In truth I'm a relative newbie to all this. I just have been crawling around the web for a while and know how to read and follow directions.

I had Googled MHS 1.0.1.4 and the freetetherd patch and had that working. The advantage to the solution above is it allows you to use the latest version of MHS, so you'll have whatever tweaks Palm has done to it, plus Preware won't bug you to update to the latest version until another one comes out, which I think is unlikely as webOS 2.0 is coming soon and is likely to change all this anyway.
    Does anyone know if the new version fixes the iPad throughput problems? Downloads being capped at 128kbps is painful.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I haven't been involved in that discussion, but have you, or anyone, installed the Unthrottle Download Manager patch and seen a performance increase with an iPad?
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    I was unable to find the install package for Mobile Hotspot 1.1.4 so here's what I did (variation of Mr. Happy's method):

Install in the following order (using WebOSQuickInstall except for step 2):

Mobile Hotspot v1.0.14 (easier to find than 1.1.4 in a web search)
    (com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.14_all-already_patched.ipk)

Mobile HotSpot v1.1.4 (update via App Catalog)

freetetherd

Reboot phone.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post

As for the location of the two FT files:

Freether is on this feed:
    Index of /feeds/webos-internals/testing/all/

Freetherd is on this feed:
    Pixi: Index of /feeds/webos-internals/testing/armv6/
    Pre: Index of /feeds/webos-internals/testing/armv7/

All the way at the bottom of each.
    This worked for me. Much appreciated for the work and the heads-up.
    So I just attempted this following Superblasts instructions but for some reason get an error on the auto-enable Ip forwarding patch. So I only have the updated MHS and freetetherd patches running. Any other info to get this running, it shows up on my pc and I can connect, just won't load any pages
    Nevermind, after so thorough reading, I have figured it out. Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by superblast View Post
    I was unable to find the install package for Mobile Hotspot 1.1.4 so here's what I did (variation of Mr. Happy's method):

Install in the following order (using WebOSQuickInstall except for step 2):

Mobile Hotspot v1.0.14 (easier to find than 1.1.4 in a web search)
    (com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.14_all-already_patched.ipk)

Mobile HotSpot v1.1.4 (update via App Catalog)

freetetherd

Reboot phone.
    This is the exactly how I installed Mobile Hotspot on 2 different Sprint Palm Pre and it works perfectly.

Unfortunately, I'm having problems installing Mobile Hotspot on an AT&T Palm Pre Plus. I repeated that process twice and couldn't establish an internet connection either time. I know this thread is titled "Sprint Pre" but I thought this app would also be compatible with the AT&T Palm Pre Plus. Has anyone had luck using Mobile Hotspot on an AT&T Palm Pre Plus?
    I recently had to EPR my Sprint Pre, removing all the patches. About a week later, I noticed that I could no longer tether to it via MHS. I figured that EPR had taken away some of the necessary alterations.

So I deleted MHS v1.1.4 and used Preware to remove freeTetherD. I don't remember seeing/removing the auto-enable-IP-forwarding patch (but it doesn't seem to be there now...at the end of trying to re-install it all).

1. I rebooted.
    2. I had the following files stored in a folder in my dropbox: the MHS 1.0.14 ipk, the auto-enable-ip-forwarding patch for MHS v1.1.4, the freeTetherD ipk.
    3. I saved all those files from Dropbox.
    4. In Internalz, I navigated to the folder with the Dropbox'ed files. Internalz can't Open the MHS 1.0.14 already-patched ipk, so I go into Preware and use the Install Package app menu item, then browse to that ipk to install it. That reports successful installation. I can see it in the launcher.
    5. Then I went to the Updates app, and updated the MHS app to 1.1.4.
    6. I went back to Internalz and opened the patch, which opened within Internalz and gave me the option to install the patch. That installation failed, but I don't think there was any informative error message or option to view/copy a log.
    7. I decided to start over using webOS QI. I deleted MHS. I put my Pre into Developer Mode, which reboots the phone.
    8. In webOS QI, I installed MHS 1.0.14. I disconnected my Pre, rebooted--just because--and updated MHS to v1.1.4. Rebooted again.
    9. Reconnected phone (still in Dev Mode) to webOS QI.
    10. Installed the auto-enable-IP-forwarding patch. No error message. No success message.
    11. I installed the freetetherD ipk. Again, no error message, no success message.
    12. I disconnected the phone, rebooted it. Then put it out of Dev Mode, which reboots it a second time. Tried MHS. My devices--a win7 home premium 64-bit laptop and an unlocked GSM Pre2--could both connect to the hotspot, but neither can access the web through it. The laptop reports that the network does not have internet access. (I do ensure that Bluetooth is turned off on the phone.) I don't know if this is informative, but, in MHS, the laptop shows up with its normal name (where MHS lists connected devices), but the Pre2 only shows the Pre2's MAC address.
    13. Looking for them via Preware, under installed services and installed patches, neither the auto-enable patch nor the freetetherD service are there.
    14. So I tried again. Deleted MHS via the device. Confirmed that auto-enable and freetetherD are MIA. Rebooted. Then put it into Dev Mode. Hooked it up to my laptop, installed MHS-already-patched v1.0.14. No error message, no success message. I eject the phone as always (stop Novacom services, eject it, disconnect, then restart Novacom). Then I reboot it. Then I take it out of Dev Mode, which reboots it again (<--that's just a precautionary step, I think. I suspect it's not technically necessary).
    15. I run the Updates app, and now it reports that my phone is up to date. I hit the refresh icon a couple of times with no change in results. I double-check the Device Info > More Options > Software list, and MHS is listed as being v1.0.14...So it should be updating...but it's not... *sigh*, I guess I'll reboot and look again. Same deal in the Updates app, down to refreshing a couple of times to no avail.
    16. Hunh...Well, drat. I guess I'll give it a few hours or something and look again.

I did all this today...so it seems strange that Updates would show an update this morning, but refuse to register that same update this afternoon. Any ideas?

...and even if the Updates app does its thing to update MHS to 1.1.4, there's still the question of why the auto-enable-IP-forwarding patch and the freetetherD ipk don't seem to install. Any ideas of things to check or do about that?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast