Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    286 Global Posts
    Loaded the full Freetether from page 30 of the how to install MHS thread. I switched on IP forwarding. (It was off, even after I installed the IP forwarding patch). Voila!!! Now, the MHS 1.1.4 udate works.

Full FreeTether is here (link in this post):
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2570055

This worked for me. Hope it helps others. Wonder if the MHS will still work if I now delete FreeTether after turning on IP forwarding? (IP forwarding patch is still installed.) But I will leave freetetherD installed.
    Last edited by jwbekens; 10/09/2010 at 01:13 AM.
    Update successful! I updated via the Palm App Catalog and all is working well.

Only difference I can see is a new Preferences Menu which gives 2 options.
    • 1st, there is an option to have MHS turned off when no devices are connected (battery saver)
    • 2nd is various different DHCP setting profiles.

Not a huge update. I wouldn't be to concerned if you can't get it to work.

FWIW: I have the Patched MHS & FreetetherD originally installed. And, I am running a Sprint Pre.

Edit: When I pressed the update button (in the app list in the Palm app catalog), the progress bar advanced rapidly to show that it was downloading (as would be expected) but then the screen changed to the page that says "this app isn't available for your device" or whatever. But then when I gesture+tap on MHS, it shows v1.1.4 and it works.
    Last edited by prolongexistence; 10/09/2010 at 01:11 AM.

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    Sprint Pre Upgraded to MHS 1.1.4 works fine for me.

I have MHS 1.1.4
    Freetether & FreetetherD

1. Enable IP Forwarding in Freetether
    2. Enable MHS
    3. Connect Device to MHS over Wifi
    4. Browse Web
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Yes, I'm on Sprint
    sorry meant this guy

Quote Originally Posted by kbrabble View Post
    I updated it, and have to enable ip forwarding through the freetether app, then it works great. Hopefully someone can modify the patch to work with this version. I will probably try and patch it manually for now.

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
    kbrabble...are you on sprint?
    Global Posts
    286 Global Posts
    When I turn off MHS 1.1.4, IP forwarding in the full FreeTether resets to disabled, but not everytime. I just enable IP forwarding in FreeTether and the update works. Strange that this is intermittent. But it explains why some can always get internet connectivity, some intermittently, and some never. Without the full FreeTether with the ability to turn on/off IP forwarding, MHS 1.1.4 would not work. For Sprint users we need a new thread with a link to:

1. The Full FreeTether IPK
    2. FreeTetherD patch
    3. IP address forwarding patch
    4. Patched MHS 1.0.14 that is recognized in app catalog so it can then be upgraded to version 1.1.4

Numbers 1,2 and 3 are avaiable via Preware.

These 4 IPKs should get everyone working. Might be that only the full freetether is needed and not the freetetherD with this most recent update.
    Last edited by jwbekens; 10/09/2010 at 01:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    For the guys who posted earlier saying they have Sprint Pre's; How are you able to install this app on your phone?
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...=mobilehotspot
    Thanks a lot. I have it up and running, this is awesome!!!
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwbekens View Post
    1. The Full FreeTether IPK
    2. FreeTetherD patch
    3. IP address forwarding patch
    4. Patched MHS 1.0.14 that is recognized in app catalog so it can then be upgraded to version 1.1.4

Numbers 1,2 and 3 are avaiable via Preware.
    Actually, I'm only finding FreeTetherD in Preware, if I search in the "everything" category.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swingracex View Post
    sorry meant this guy

kbrabble...are you on sprint?
    Yes, I'm on a Sprint Pre..

--Sent using Tap@Talk for webOS
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chowd View Post
    Actually, I'm only finding FreeTetherD in Preware, if I search in the "everything" category.
    You may have some feeds disabled in Preware.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I am able to use MHS using IP Forwarding in freetether.

It seems the auto-enable IP forwarding no longer works. I tried to uninstall and re-install the patch, but I get the following error while re-installing.

----------------------------------
    Installation FAILED!
    ----------------------------------
    The text leading up to this was:
    --------------------------
    |Name: Auto-Enable IP Forwarding In Mobile Hotspot
    |Version: 1.4.5-2
    |Author: Jason Robitaille
    |Description: Will automatically toggle IP forwarding when using Mobile Hotspot. Note: requires freeTetherD. (MIT license)
    |
    |--- .orig/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/app/controllers/microap-assistant.jsjsjs
    |+++ /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/app/controllers/microap-assistant.jsjsjs
    --------------------------
    File to patch:
    Skip this patch? [y]
    2 out of 2 hunks ignored
    ls -R /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/ca.canucksoftware.patches.auto-enable-ip-forwarding-in-mobile-hotspot
    /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/ca.canucksoftware.patches.auto-enable-ip-forwarding-in-mobile-hotspot:
    auto-enable-ip-forwarding-in-mobile-hotspot.patch
    package_list
    *** FAILED ***
    just to confirm,,i updated mobile hotspot in app catolog last night,,and again just now,i had my daughter connect her ipod touch and it works.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    just to confirm,,i updated mobile hotspot in app catolog last night,,and again just now,i had my daughter connect her ipod touch and it works.

Which of the 2 method do you use?
    1. With freetether
    2. Without freetether / with auto forward ip patch
    what method are you using, the patched mhs with free tetherd? or the mhs with both free tether and the auto foward patch?
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    When I try and update via preware it takes me to app catalog but says"This app isnt available for your carrier". I then try and search via app catalog and can't find it. Is it even worth the update?
    free tether d w patched mhs
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leke View Post
    When I try and update via preware it takes me to app catalog but says"This app isnt available for your carrier". I then try and search via app catalog and can't find it. Is it even worth the update?
    Not really, you can leave it as it is.

However if you want to update, goto app cat, click on the bag at lower right corner and then you can update from there. But as others, you may have issues after update.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zmann View Post
    free tether d w patched mhs
    This method should work fine.

It looks like only those, who use MHS without freetether and with auto forwarding IP patch are facing issues.
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RMB View Post
    Not really, you can leave it as it is.

However if you want to update, goto app cat, click on the bag at lower right corner and then you can update from there. But as others, you may have issues after update.
    Same msg when I went that route Oh well, its already working just fine.
    If you update Mobile Hotspot in the catalog, it's going to overwrite your patched file. It doesn't matter if you had the patched version before or not, if you update in the App Catalog, it goes back to being the stock version of the app.

The only way at the moment to re-patch it is to do so manually. Open up the .patch file that Jason posted in the long thread, and make the changes that the patch does (a + means add a line, a - means remove a line). The only difference is that the line numbers are wrong, so you'll have to use the content of the other lines to figure out where to add them.

Or, you can just use the freetether app to enable ip forwarding each time manually.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast